The Haul; May 2024

Discussion in 'Show and tell' started by Queen of Blades, May 1, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    New month! Show us your new goodies!

Frijolero, Paul Turner and brit like this.
  2. chazt

chazt Methuselah Shaver

Just arrived this afternoon. I bought a soap and brush on sale, and just for good measure a new razor head to go with an old favorite handle. I waited to shave until the afternoon so I could use the soap and razor. The brush will have to wait until June, as I’m doing a Mistura May thing. But you know what? I was pleasantly surprised with the soap. It’s very soft. A croap at best. It’s not a bad thing, just an observation. The performance was top tier. The lather was slick and protective. The mild scent was as described, and it was very pleasing to my nose. It lingered lightly for an hour. I’m always happy when a blind purchase satisfies. Second time this week (shout out to the Shave Den Shop for the lavender rose aftershave splash!).

I used to use a Game Changer .68 when I shaved early in the morning before work. It wasn’t super close but it was quick and easy and I could almost shave with my eyes closed. But it was so mild that if I tried to get a closer shave it caused too much irritation. The .84 was too much for me. I never enjoyed it. My expectations were high for this Game Changer.76. It did not disappoint. Two passes with a Personna Platinum Chrome and I was near bbs. The chazt Goldilocks of the GC line. And it looks real sharp on the Weber Wave.

Groove on the depth of field :happy088:
    IMG_2424.jpeg

Last edited: May 2, 2024
  3. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Needed a cast iron 12" Lodge for our camping kit.

[​IMG]

:happy093:

4. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    That brush has some serious black bristles, Charlie. I would have my magnifying glass and tweezers working overtime to get them out of there. :happy088:

5. Angelo85

Angelo85 Well-Known Member

Friday’s mail call is from The Razor Company. Today I got 100 Shark Platinum blades and 3 Stirling alum blocks. IMG_4244.jpeg

jimjo1031, Frijolero, Enrico and 7 others like this.
  6. chazt

chazt Methuselah Shaver

Ha! Yes, I knew you’d be all over that ;) It’s not as loaded with black bristles as you may think (well, maybe it is…). When the knot breaks in, it should be a delight to use. Still, unbleached boar is an acquired taste for some.

7. Primotenore

Article Team
    I have always found the black bristles are thicker and never break in...i.e. "split".

8. Primotenore

Article Team
    That alum would last me until 3017, Angelo. :)

jimjo1031, Frijolero, chazt and 4 others like this.
  9. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

That's what I was thinking!

10. Primotenore

Article Team
    Isn't this Hoffritz cute? Maybe it's a Simpson, but I don't know...:signs002:
    V2Fu6qW.jpeg

jimjo1031, Frijolero, chazt and 5 others like this.
  11. brit

brit in a box

very cool Joseph.:cool:

jimjo1031, chazt and Primotenore like this.
  12. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I have its big brother the size of a CH1 ..... I would say either made by Simpson or Vulfix.

:)

jimjo1031, chazt and Primotenore like this.
  13. Primotenore

Article Team
    Thanks, Keith. :)

jimjo1031 and chazt like this.
  14. brit

brit in a box

just arrived,then decanted into my vintage superior bottle.

20240504_173956_edited.jpg 20240504_174008_edited.jpg

the scent on these items is very close.looking forward..:)

15. elektrotasil

elektrotasil Well-Known Member

Black Beauty
    Gillette Buldog (1920)
    Schick adjustable
    Soviet polymer safety razor.

Bulldog and Soviet razors cleaned nicely. Didn't have the time to clean the Black Beauty. Saving it for later in the week, since I have a Fatboy on the mail. Planning to knock them both out at the same time.

Asil KIRATLI
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

16. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

It’s been a while since I picked anything up. I was in a local antique shop last weekend and made a reasonable package deal on three items I don’t already have.

The first razor is a Fox Brothers “The British”.

[​IMG]

I also picked up a “Hornet” razor marked Hamburg and a nice barbers hone. The hone box is labeled, “Ruby Razor Hone No. 262 Chicago Wheel & Mfg. Co.”. I’ve never seen one before, so I grabbed it.

[​IMG]

I forgot how much fun it could be to dig something like this up

17. brit

brit in a box

very cool,straight out of the past.:cool::eatdrink047:

jimjo1031, chazt and mrchick like this.
  18. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

It’s been a while.
    I’m not finding much info trying to research this hone. It appears to be a nice one.

jimjo1031 and brit like this.
  19. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I enjoy wood working and spending time at the cabin. Recently I asked my lovely wife what she would like us to pack in the camp box and she said a cutting board. So I found some oak from renovating and old building I take care of. I put together some of the smaller pieces to make a cutting board and wanted to mark it with a penny from the same year it was constructed. I'll post it on "What manly thing did you do today?"

s-l1600-77.jpg

:)

20. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

My Bill Neumann 1911 A.S. arrived today. The fellas at BN tossed in a block of handsoap as well....Juniper Berry. :))

jimjo1031, Frijolero, Enrico and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.