The Haul: November 2019

Discussion in 'Show and tell' started by RaZorBurn123, Oct 31, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brit

brit in a box

looks fantastic Rick..

Linuxguile and RyX like this.
  2. RyX

RyX DoH!

Thanks for the tip, Jason! I've got a couple pieces of Russian steel so I'm hoping for the best!
    Thanks Gary! It's shiny where it is, but has a couple of beauty marks from being enjoyed by previous users. I don't buy shelf sitters so User Grade is quite acceptable. Got a silver Sharpie marker I may use to do cosmetic touch ups so the SOTD photos look good. Chrome finish precludes an easy replateing. The couple of very small blemishes won't stop me from using it.

jtspartan, Linuxguile and brit like this.
  3. MrEE

MrEE Half Naked Shave Stalker

Wow, where did you get those?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Linuxguile and brit like this.
  4. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

I've looked at these a while.
    @Primotenore showed me how to get one for less than I thought I'd have to spend.

20191109_145531-1.jpeg

Got this from halfway around the world in less time than my promptly shipped blade samples from tryablade.com.

Like it. Heavy like a real straight.
    Waiting to test drive.

Enrico, jtspartan, Linuxguile and 8 others like this.
  5. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    :eatdrink013:

6. MrEE

Got my NOS Psycho Tech and replica key. Gillette sure didn't worry as much about the finish on these. The plating is rough with obvious debris in the plate. If one of my plating jobs produced this result I would strip it and start again after filtering the plating bath.

However this is a unique collectors item. I think the finish reflects that it was a goverment special order done on the cheap.

Looking forward to shaving with it tomorrow.

[​IMG]

7. Jostalli

Jostalli Well-Known Member

So the wife thinks I need a new book shelf for my office so we visited a local antique store. No, book shelf but I picked this GEM MicroMatic Open Comb up. The finish is a little rough but I thought it was not too bad for $8. Still opens and closes. This my first GEM. Did a digging through some old posts and see these are dated at 1930. Does anyone know was that the only year they made them or the year production started?

GEm Micro Razor 2.jpg

GEm Micro Razor 3.jpg

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
    RaZorBurn123, BigD, jtspartan and 8 others like this.
  8. brit

brit in a box

cool tech Evan..as they weren't meant for the open market they just had to work ,i am guessing..

Edison Carter likes this.
  9. MrEE

Just curious since plating/finishing has become its own hobby for me.

Have you checked with a replating shop? Replating in Chrome is beyond the capabilities of most razor replating businesses, but stripping chrome to replate in nickel or rhodium shouldn't be that bad.

10. cliffb599

cliffb599 Well-Known Member

Finally came in.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhoneXR using Tapatalk

jgreenepa, RaZorBurn123, BigD and 8 others like this.
  11. brit

brit in a box

very cool..

cliffb599 likes this.
  12. RyX

RyX DoH!

I've enjoyed seeing the pieces you've plated Evan. I have not contacted any shops, just read what they and others say about chrome. I would be happy to have this razor refinished in nickle. Don't think I'd do it any time soon as the couple of spots are on top of the base plate where they don't come into play during a shave. If I can do a stop gap repair to hold at it's present condition I'd be a happy shaver. Thinking getting it dry and applying something to seal the flakes/pits?

AGHisBBS, Edison Carter and brit like this.
  13. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Got them on the Bay. Search Personna Super

Sent from my Galaxy using Tapatalk

RyX, MrEE and brit like this.
  14. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

They had a long production run that helped them through the dirty thirties decade. GEM Micromatic open comb (MMOC) was produced from 1930-41.
    https://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/gem-razor-models.60719/page-9

RyX, Edison Carter and brit like this.
  15. Mike-R41

Mike-R41 Well-Known Member

Just received my aftershave from Fine and I have the matching soap on the way!! Now I know why ppl rave so much about Fine’s products! Based on Tom Fords “GREY VETIVER”

-Also won this brush from RedBeardShaves last giveaway!!! It’s a frankshave synthetic brush. Didn’t use it yet (No-Shave November) but it’s soft and has a surprisingly good backbone for a synthetic!! EEB01E8B-AF8D-48AE-81BE-1F6DBFDC6CF1.jpeg 4BDB8C54-FF1A-49BC-AE8E-4834974D9355.jpeg

AGHisBBS, jimjo1031, PLAla and 10 others like this.
  16. Angelo85

Angelo85 Well-Known Member

99BF8695-819A-4B5C-BB9D-079551A5D6D6.jpeg Bought all these decanters at my local flea market today for 5 bucks! They all have aftershave/cologne in them and all but the football helmet had the original packaging with them. I swear the woman that sold these to me was a former Avon lady as she had 2 long tables full of vintage Avon products for men and women for a buck a pop.

17. MrEE

Would you believe I have no experience sealing flakes/pits? I'd say just enjoy it as is and keep it dry. Paint or varnish won't adhere to oxidation and may trap moisture. I'd be concerned trapped moisture could make it worse, but you may have more experience than I do. :) I refinish items in that state.

When it comes to replating, while chrome plating requires highly toxic chemicals, stripping chrome is relatively safe. I'd be very surprised if you can't find a shop to do it for you.

AGHisBBS, RyX and brit like this.
  18. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

New Gillette Heritage
    IMG_20191110_174247-2016x1512.jpg

19. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Really cool, over the years I've had a chance to buy one but never did, now I wish I had. Congrats!!

RyX, brit and MrEE like this.
  20. brit

brit in a box

RyX likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.