The Haul: October 10th - October 16th, 2011

Discussion in 'Show and tell' started by PalmettoB, Oct 9, 2011.

1. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

Ah, fall. Love it. Holidays right around the corner, pumpkin spiced coffees, breads, and muffins, and new shave goodies! What's in your haul this week?

2. tuco99

tuco99 Well-Known Member

Went too a run down flea market today and picked this Christy up just too have and display.
    IMG_0051.JPG

scott wein, rodd, Dridecker and 5 others like this.
  3. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

This haul is all about the blade, or blades!

[​IMG]

rodd, Dridecker, Hanzo and 1 other person like this.
  4. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

My wife bought me 2 of these Gillette Menthol creams, but they are for shipment to a buddy of mine in Poland. I am not using any more a Gillette cream, menthol or no menthol. 662c_1.jpg

5. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

It arrived today. Muhle R41, new 2011 head.

9 days from the UK. Not bad at all.

<southern speak>She sho does have a purty mouf!</end southern speak> :happy102:

DSCN2080.jpg
    DSCN2081.jpg
    DSCN2082.jpg

6. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

Very nice Jody! Use it well!

IAmTheJody likes this.
  7. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

Ok.........that's it...........I want one.

IAmTheJody likes this.
  8. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

You know, the finish on those are just friggin incredible. I don't think I have mentioned that as much as I have tried to bring out the general weirdness of that razor, but true to Muhle standards, they are impeccable.

Enjoy Jody. Prepared to be amazed, either for the good or the bad. You'll have to let me know if I need* the Darwin.

*You know what I mean

alpla444 likes this.
  9. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

10. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Excellent razor Jody!

11. IAmTheJody

If the looks of it with a blade in it is any indication, I think the 2011 R41 will pull double-duty as a face shaver and windshield de-icer. :happy102: Whooooooooaaaaa nelly, is that a lot of blade exposure! Looking forward to taking it for a spin sometime this night.

rodd and alpla444 like this.
  12. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Nice looking razor.:)

13. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Jody that little beauty reminds me in the head section of my 1930s English PAL. Just be careful PAL, you know what I mean!

scott wein and IAmTheJody like this.
  14. IAmTheJody

After the first shave with the 2011 R41, I can tell you this thing is way more aggressive than the Darwin. It's like a straight razor with a handle instead of scales. It's pure blade edge! I shaved my head with the Darwin. I wouldn't attempt it with the 2011 R41. I did come away with one fantastic shave though with the 2011 R41. My face is as smooth as glass. Glass I say! :cool:

scott wein, alpla444 and battle.munky like this.
  15. ocharlas

ocharlas Well-Known Member

I sent this out last week to Brian (MileMarker60) who graciously offered to hone it for me after it was victimized, and got it back last night. Really fast actually, three days there, one day on the bench, three days back (or so). Other than this, the only time I've ever had a straight honed was by the New York Shaving Company. Some of you might remember the saga. Well now that I have two experiences to compare to each other, and what I've learned is that there is absolutely no comparison at all. NYSC gave me back my razor pretty much exactly as I gave it to them, dirty, with "hone marks" (scratches along the edge), and a frown (that was there before but not so pronounced). And, as I now know, dull as a butterknife. I realize that appearance is really secondary with this kind of thing, but it definitely shows when someone puts care and effort into something, and when I got the razor back this time - Whoa nelly! Gleaming and gorgeous, clean, with a completely straight edge and a kind of sharp I wasn't even aware of. The resulting shave was smooth and effortless (effortless for the razor, not me). It turns out the difference between "shave ready" and shave ready is a pretty big one ...

The pictures really don't do it justice...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also picked up for this brush for $3 at the Village Apothecary

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

16. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

P1030723(1).JPG P1030737(1).JPG P1030738(1).JPG P1030739(1).JPG P1030740(1).JPG

My haul for this week, Kent scuttle, Proraso pre-shave cream, Gillette fatboy E4 date code(with case but not pictured as you cas see:signs081:) Gillette slim J3 date code and 100 Astra Blades.
    I also got an old solingen straight will post pics soon it needs some work doin to it so will keep me busy.

17. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

18. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Cheers steve, the scuttle was only £6 I got it when I was in the peak district last week, no chips or cracks,:) (it will keep me going untill I get my delivery from Robert Becker next month.)

19. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Jody, impressive photography! I can't wait to get ahold of mine, although, the more I read about it, I am not so sure it is for me. I tend to like shaving with less aggressive razors.
    After a couple years of casually looking, I finally sprung on a vintage butterscotch brush. I know nothing about the brush, except that I like it, and I am going to put a new knot in it. It has been a long time since I have worked on a brush. I am looking forward to it. If you know anything about the brush, or even have a feeling, let me know. Thanks!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

20. Billr

Billr Mix Master Mighty White!

My wife and I took a road trip last weekend. We took our son to school in Cannon Beach, Oregon. He is attending Ecola Bible College. Since we had to make the trip anyway we turned it into a mini vacation - much needed I might add! This part of the world is very beautiful and there is a lot to see, however the weather was really rainy and foggy so we decided to just take a drive long the coast (hiway 101) and see what the little towns were like. We stopped in an antique store and wondered around inside and I found a nice little surprise! Well, actually it is kinda big.

[​IMG]

It is a Duble Duck M-3 boar brush brand new and still in its box. It is similar in size to my Omega 49.
    It does not have a smell to it, that I know of - I have not gotten it wet yet. I am not sure if I am going to use it or not. I want to but the part of my that loves old items wants to keep it nice. Hmmm what to do - Help me decide! What would YOU do?

I also picked up a puck of Williams and a puck of Burma Shave soap. I thought they were vintage and I was all excited about them but when I got them home I found they both had bar codes on the boxes - so they are not as old as I thought.

newb, Mechguy, scott wein and 5 others like this.