The Haul: October 3rd - October 9th, 2011

Discussion in 'Show and tell' started by PalmettoB, Oct 3, 2011.

1. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

So now that fall is REALLY here in a lot of places, have you changed your set up? What did you get in your haul this week?

2. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Here is a Merkur Travel in a velvet lined Chrome case from the 1950s in excellent condition, I acquired recently.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

rodd, MRast01, swarden43 and 3 others like this.
  3. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

Hey everybody! I finally get to show off the items I got this week...and today!

My wife got home from Israel this morning and here is what she got me: 2 tubes of MEM shaving cream, ASB from the Dead Sea (Sea Spa product), tube of shaving cream with menthol (white and green box), and 4 boxes of blades (2 Vikings Sword and 2 Eddison). I am very excited to try these out!

Also in the picture is an orange brush handle that I will be reknotting (drilled out the bristles already...I love the orange!!), the Injector and blades from Bob's PIF (got them today), and a sample of Martin de Candre soap (in the wax paper). It has been a very good week for me...like Christmas in October!

IMG_2836.JPG

I also have a few items on loan from my brother-in-law. I am borrowing his Omega (pro??) brush and his slim adjustable and black handled superspeed. The slim used to be mine but I shredded up my face a few years back when learning to use a DE so I traded him for his blue-tip. He doesn't use any of these, so they are on a perma-loan basis for now.

IMG_2837.JPG

4. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Nice haul Luke! Never heard of those brands of blades. Will be waiting for your review of them!

5. tuco99

tuco99 Well-Known Member

Picked these up today at an antique mall.
    IMG_0039.JPG

rodd, battle.munky, Dridecker and 4 others like this.
  6. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

If that mug is a reproduction well they are great to use everyday, if not a reproduction thats a $5oo bounty my ugly friend.

7. tuco99

tuco99 Well-Known Member

What ? Tell me how do you tell????? When I saw it I just thought it looked nice and was heavy,came with the old brush.The only marking on the bottom is 1210.

8. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

If it were an authentic hand painted Occupational Shaving Mug depicting firemen it would be highly collectible , the bottom might have the names August Kern or Koken etc. these were the barber suppliers that barbers bought the mugs from . If you were a fireman in the 1890's and you wanted a mug to keep at the barber shop just for you, you ordered from the barber , he ordered from the barber suppliesr. The barber supplier had inhouse artists who hand painted each mug and then they were made and sent out. The National Shaving Mug Association has a website you can see thumbnails of occupational mugs and do research online look for " occupational shaving mugs". The chances of it being a reproduction though are very high finding an original would be extremely lucky but mugs depicting railroading and firemen are very collectible. The thing about your mug is the handle type places it as a old mug and if its heavy as you say that would also indicate its old, if it looks hand painted you might have something, but I AM NOT an expert.

battle.munky and tuco99 like this.
  9. tuco99

tuco99 Well-Known Member

I will check it out but I don't think it's hand painted.

10. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

I'm planning on using one of the new blades and the MEM olive cream tomorrow, and to finish it off with the new ASB. I'm pretty excited for the shave.

Tuco, that is a beautiful mug!

11. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Nice hauls, all!!

12. IAmTheJody

Well it's official. I jumped on the band-wagon and this is in the mail winding its way towards me... The "new head" Muhle R41. I just had to see what all the fuss is about. :happy102:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

The Chrome side is strong in this one. May the shave be with you!

14. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I use my other razors so I do not feel like I am being wasteful, but for me, the R-41 is to shavers as what the Voskhod is to blades; I really don't want anything else.

I'm roont!

15. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Hah! Sucka! We were just kidding Jody. It's horrible! We had bets to see how long it would take you......:happy097:

Just kidding dude, you'll see what the fuss is all about here really soon (or not if its coming from England). Congrats, you'll either love it or hate, I guarantee ;)

Here's my haul:
    Haul_10-5-2011.jpg

Drugstore.com not only had the Proraso and Musgo Real cheaper than anywhere else with free shipping over $25, but it got here in 2 days...well packed too. I highly recommend drugstore.com. And if you by chance use USAA for banking you can go to the shopping section of their website and access them through there and it will give you 6% of your order back to you account if you use it through their portal. If you use USAA and have a question about this, let me know. We save here and there quite often with this feature. I really dig them.

16. IAmTheJody

I get my Proraso ASB from italianbarber.com at $13.99 a bottle. I didn't realize drugstore.com carried Proraso but just checked and the Proraso ASB is $16.00 there. I guess shipping charges between the 2 sites would even 'em both out but I'm too sleepy to do the math right now. lol And of course if you use the USAA trick, you're probably coming out ahead for sure.

battle.munky likes this.
  17. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Received an excellent haul from Russia yesterday. I have to thank Dimitry for generously sending me a nice box full of shave creams and balms. The hardest part (besides deciphering the Cyrillic) is figuring which one to use first. I am thinking the Nord Ost will be the first up.

I will try and take a picture tomorrow if I have some time.

IAmTheJody likes this.
  18. newb

newb Resident Newb

DSC00332.JPG
    Just a few more vintage mugs. I'm waiting for my order from TSD to arrive. I'm sure Joanne's soap will grace the seaforth ceramic mug well. IMHO it's an honor for a soap to get a vintage mug in my den. I'm saving it for Joanne. I'm sure she won't let me down. So, Please Joanne do it extra special, your soap is getting prime real estate in my den.

GDCarrington and swarden43 like this.
  19. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I didn't mean to say it was the cheapest internet wide, but from google shopping's fist page. I'm lazy....if it ain't hitting me up front, I'm not digging too awful deep. I will add italianbarber.com to my list of sites to hunt for new shave gear though :).

IAmTheJody likes this.
  20. tuco99

tuco99 Well-Known Member

Received this order today,I've wanted to try DeVergulde and Godrej for awhile and finally ordered them.

Attached Files:

Hanzo likes this.