The Haul: September 2015

Discussion in 'Show and tell' started by RaZorBurn123, Sep 1, 2015.

1. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

The black tip is a superspeed, but not technically a flair tip.

Fred Hill likes this.
  2. Fred Hill

Fred Hill Well-Known Member

Looks like a Real Beauty! Happy you have it! Glad it's not laying in somebody's bottom drawer, uncared for! "Happy Shavings," Darkbulb! :)

3. theFAT98

theFAT98 Well-Known Member

Darkbulbs razor collection must be a thing of beauty.

4. cmorris357

Oh, it is.
    image.jpg

PLANofMAN, mrchick, Darkbulb and 2 others like this.
  5. theFAT98

theFAT98 Well-Known Member

6. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

cmorris357 likes this.
  7. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Thanks, I've decided that even with that funky looking baseplate I'll give it a chance and see how it shaves :)
    The handle will for sure be used though!

8. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

I've got something coming in the mail tomorrow so this will have to be my last haul for September.

A couple of weeks ago I bought an Old Spice shaving mug from 1985. That's right, the one that's referred to as "cobalt blue".
    Almost all of the pictures I've seen are that of a mug that's very dark, in fact much darker than what is typically defined as cobalt blue, with the exception of one picture at the Old Spice collectibles website that shows a mug that's much lighter in color than what I usually see.
    Okay, so I buy a mug that's advertised as "blue" and it arrives and it is certainly blue but a very dark blue. From across the room you might think it's black but in good lighting or out in the sun it's obviously very dark blue.

Now I've been looking for one of these (at a reasonable price) for over a year so I was thrilled to get one for $26 and even more excited a few days later to be high bidder on a "black" one at $23.
    The "black" one shows up and from across the room it looks exactly like the blue one but out in the sun or under a strong flourescent light it's definitely darker yet I can still see a bluish hue around the handle and the edges. There's a definite difference (albeit slight) between the two mugs but not one that you can easily discern in the pictures that are posted below. In fact, the more I look at the pictures the more it seems that the camera makes the mugs look identical in hue. It's only with the naked eye that the difference is visible.

So what gives? Do have I a blue one and a black one or two black ones that aren't really black? Is the blue one the lighter shade that you see pictured on the Old Spice collectibles website and I just haven't seen one for sale anywhere? (http://www.oldspicecollectibles.com/Mugs/Miscellaneous.html). Or is this like trying to find matching socks in the drawer when after several washings the navy socks and the black socks all seem to be the same color?

ch1.jpg ch2.jpg

Recklesstr, pvtbanks and Mustache like this.
  9. Mustache

Mustache Well-Known Member

Not sure about an answer to your questions but I do love the mugs.. Be it black or blue.

John Beeman likes this.
  10. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

No idea...the one you linked to sure does seem like a very bright blue in comparison.
    I think I can see a difference in your two as well - one being lighter/more blue and one being darker/more black.
    Very nice regardless.

If I'm getting another Old Spice mug I wouldn't mind getting one of these.....
    [​IMG]

11. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

12. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

mrchick likes this.
  13. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

Mine came with that! I can try scanning pages sometime in the next few days if you want.

14. pvtbanks

pvtbanks Corners First

It won't let me upload a picture, but I just got my 1952 black tip Gillete super speed today!

Mustache likes this.
  15. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I can actually answer that. The closer to an air supply a glazed piece is when it's being fired, the brighter the resulting glaze will be. The difference between the two could be as simple as the darker one was on the bottom shelf of the kiln, while the other was on the top shelf during firing.

John Beeman likes this.
  16. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Where did you find that picture?

17. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

18. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

TSR "waiting for" or acquisitions. One or the other. Sorry, not a current auction ;)

19. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Just trying to find out more info on that mug.

20. cmorris357

It's an English Wade Pottery mug. They were made between 1969 and 1984.

PLANofMAN likes this.