The Health Club

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by wristwatchb, Sep 25, 2018.

1. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

If you want to feel better, live a healthier life, get some encouragement, have some accountability, develop new habits, not fall back into old habits, or help those needing a fresh start, you’re in the right place.

Sorry, but we can’t help you stop those little hairs from poking out of your nose and ears or regain your sense of humor. You’ll need to look elsewhere for miracles. :D

Healthy habits, activities, exercises, recipes, tips, resources, personal stories, help, encouragement, and the like are welcome here. If you can think of anything that would be helpful along these lines, share it! Everyone is welcome, especially the pros who have mastered the healthy lifestyle. Feel free to share your story and updates in as much detail as you feel comfortable.

This is a no judgment zone. ‘Nuff said here, right?

Don’t overthink the content. Just like the 30 Day Rule/Focus threads over in the Shave School, this thread can’t be hijacked, and shenanigans are encouraged. And hey, this is a shaving forum, so go ahead and include photos and comments about the stuff that brought us all here in the first place.

If you’re on the fence about getting started, just stop by to say hello, and we’ll know you’re with us.

In my own recent experience, which I’ll share in a separate post, I’ve found a few good resources:

https://www.webmd.com/diet/features/4-steps-healthy-lifestyle#1
    https://www.choosemyplate.gov/MyPlatePlan
    https://www.loseit.com/

OK, let’s go!

Terry, Demidog, Keithmax and 13 others like this.
  2. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

This is a great way to encourage folks to focus on healthy living, if if it is a small improvement. My wife and I started going to the gym this year and began to take our eating habits more seriously. We weren't incredibly overweight and yet still dropped over 20 pounds. We both feel much better. Are there some things I miss? Sure, but it is worth it. We are only in our 50s and want to grow older gracefully.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

3. brit

brit in a box

i am interested in learning here..to date i now drink green tea, garlic daily,and have drastically reduced fast food . beer intake is getting a hit next...

4. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

Hoo boy. I may be hanging out in here a bit.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

5. jtface

jtface Well-Known Member

I'm looking to drop from 182 lbs to 168 lbs. To do this, I am reducing my beer content and aiming to ride my bike 3-4 times per week. I average around 15mph on rides and am looking to ride 50 miles per week as a minimum.

6. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I'll be here quite often, rest assured. Having just had an "unsuccessful colonoscopy"(meaning I wasn't "cleared enough for takeoff" so to speak), for the 3rd consecutive time ranks way up there in being frustrated. I do work out 3 times a week at my gym, and enjoy it. I try to eat the right foods and avoid the wrong ones. I suppose I can improve a little on "portion" control.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
    Demidog, Keithmax, AGHisBBS and 4 others like this.
  7. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I just reviewed the results of my overall labwork, done back in June after my physical. My doctor made a comment about my "borderline low" thyroid count, saying he'd like me to come in a month later for another test on that. Here it is, over 3 months, and I completely skimmed over my Doc's comment on it. I should be spanked for that oversight. I'll go in tomorrow morning,...hope it won't be an issue from now on.

8. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Eat real food.
    Drink clean water.
    Don't sit, stay on your feet!

Shaver X, Keithmax, AGHisBBS and 9 others like this.
  9. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

Great idea for a thread!

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

AGHisBBS, jtface, wristwatchb and 2 others like this.
  10. wristwatchb

I visited my family doctor this past July and weighed in at 275 lbs. For a six-foot tall guy in his late 50s that had been starting to experience more aches, pains, and stiffness, I decided it was time for a change. I was frankly embarrassed at struggling to get up out of a chair or feeling dread when I had to climb or descend stairs. I even replaced a friend's folding chair this summer because I broke one of the arms on it trying to get out of it.

Over the past few months, I had been encouraged by several members of the 30-Day Crew who had chosen to reduce their weight and seek a healthier lifestyle. I set an initial goal to lose 60 lbs. at a rate of one pound per week. My doctor recommended that I use a phone app called Lose It! It's essentially a tool to track food choices, exercise, and progress toward a target weight goal. There’s nothing special about it other than it helps with planning and decision-making.

I’m essentially trying to replace bad lifestyle habits with good ones. I eat more veggies, chicken, fruits, and avocados and much less red meat, soft drinks, cheese, and bread. I gave up my beloved Frosty Mini Wheats and 2% milk (I drank two gallons of milk a week, believe it or not) and replaced it with either Cheerios or Grape Nuts and almond milk. I use oil and vinegar or low-fat dressing on my salads in place of regular salad dressing. I even replaced quick oatmeal with steel cut oats. I indulge in ice cream (my weakness) a couple of times a week. I just keep my portion size reasonable and my daily calorie intake within budget.

I even picked up an inexpensive digital food scale to keep me honest on portion sizes. I eat three reasonable meals a day and usually an afternoon snack. I'm even starting to read and compare information on nutrition labels. I know that I have much room for improvement, but I finally got started.

I promised not to beat myself up if I go off the rails one day...just get back on the program the next day. It's a lifestyle...not a diet. I'm also trying to incorporate more exercise in my daily routine. To be honest, though, I struggle to make regular exercise a priority. So far, I've been walking more and sometimes taking the stairs instead of the elevator.

I'm just over two months into my new lifestyle, and I've lost 25 pounds. My mobility has already improved. I have more energy and fewer aches and pains. My Bride even says that I have stopped snoring! I have since set my target weight at 185 lbs. This is on the high side of my normal weight range, but I would be very happy with it. My weight has varied all my life, and my lifestyle decisions have often been poor. I'm in it this time for the long haul. I want to go public with my decision because I think it will help me with accountability.

It's hard to break old habits, but I want to be able to get around well and enjoy my life for a long time in my retirement. My goodness - I've got more than 20 years of razors blades to use up!!!! Everybody's different, but that's really why I got started.

That’s my story. I plan to post progress reports, successes, struggles, and things I learn along the way. I welcome any and all comments and suggestions.

So, what’s your story? :)

Hodge, Terry, TheFiveO and 12 others like this.
  11. brit

brit in a box

are we related?

12. wristwatchb

1.jpg

Terry, Keithmax, BaylorGator and 8 others like this.
  13. wristwatchb

Congratulations on your progress! I can identify. I'm at a similar stage of life.

14. wristwatchb

Awesome. Sometimes my Bride and I split a craft beer in the afternoon. That becomes our snack. I pour it into a Pilsner glass to make it look more like a full serving.

15. wristwatchb

:bounce017::bounce017::bounce017:

jtface likes this.
  16. brit

brit in a box

i am almost 51 , 6ft and was at 300 lbs.been a mechanic all my life . since going off the benches and owning my own shop. i felt old, and lethargic .at present i run a friends shop,with stairs and not much sitdown time. very happy and way less stress. also a secure position for as long as i want it. my weight has fluctuated throughout the years with my lightest at 195 lbs at 20. i have a big build and physical labor worked its magic. my next problem now is with portion size . i drastically reduced fast food and such.i have done weight watchers before but gained it back in 3 years.beer is my favorite and its time is coming, however ,slow steady loss is my way at present. great thread, will be here a lot . ...:)

Keithmax, BaylorGator, RyX and 5 others like this.
  17. wristwatchb

Solid advice! Please explain what you mean by real food and clean water. Specific examples would be appreciated.

RyX, PLAla and jtface like this.
  18. wristwatchb

I'm honored to share the journey with you. Let's do this together. :)

19. wristwatchb

I have a bike. Maybe I should ride it sometime. :signs002:

20. brit

brit in a box

will try my best , one day at a time..sounds good to me..:eatdrink047:

jtspartan, jtface and wristwatchb like this.