The Hyper Glide system

Discussion in 'Cartridge Razors' started by Darkbulb, Mar 2, 2016.

1. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Posting this in the cartridge forum as I'm assuming this type of razor has rather...limited wet-shaving-forum appeal :)

Anywho, I just read about the Hyper Glide System and wanted to see if anyone here has been 'brave' enough to give it a try...and if so...how did it work? :)

In one sentence: "A cartridge razor where you just add water - and then shave"...or as it's stated on their home page:
    "Hyperglide features a unique patented super hydrophilic self-lubricating cartridge that creates its own slippery hydrogel over the entire front shaving surface when it is activated by immersing it in water, delivering amazing razor blade glide, comfort and closeness."

Here's a video:

2. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Huh. Interesting. But, i must wonder if it really works that easily.

Darkbulb likes this.
  3. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

4. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Darkbulb likes this.
  5. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

Humm. I think I previously saw that guy on the kitchen gizmo channel. He had a beard.

6. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

IMO RIP OFF!!! I can shave now without using anything but water with either a DE, SE, Injector or cart razor. Question is why and who would want to?!? They also want you to buy other gels, shaving oils and serums they sell to make the "perfect system" last longer and work better?!?.
    They offer nothing new, it's just another multi bladed self lubing cart razor with slightly changed hype. If it's not messy it's not lubricating. "Bendology Technology" give me a break that isn't even a word :happy097:

However if anyone would like to buy one I'd be happy to read a review.:)
    Questions:
    How long does this gel last(# of shaves)?
    How long will a blade last?
    What happens if the gel irritates your skin?
    You trim sideburns, goatees and beards without using the lube? why?

7. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

Mantic gave it a positive review. I bought one, but probably will never use it...

http://sharpologist.com/2014/02/king-of-shaves-hyperglide-razor.html

Mantic's feedback:
    So How Does It Shave?
    Pretty damned well.

Even more surprising to me, I didn’t get any irritation. No razor burn, no ingrown hairs, no nicks or cuts. Nothing. And no residue.

8. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

It has some very positive reviews over on TSR - of all places. ;)

9. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Some reviews here on TSR and so far nothing but rather high praise...even from Bechet ;)

10. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

They say it's revolutionary..can that be..can that really be..:love055:

11. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I read the reviews and I'm still not convinced its any better than any other cart razor. While it does have potential uses, I guess I'll just stick to my DE.:) My young son, who doesn't enjoy shaving like his OLD dad, will probably like to try one, I may get him one for Christmas.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
  12. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

One for dad and one for his son ;)

13. engrsaks

engrsaks Well-Known Member

If someone has a habit of making this many strokes on premium cartridges, his main complaint will either be on the mileage of the blades or poor lubri strip performance.

14. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

A few years ago Gillette conducted a study that showed that the average cartridge shaver makes around 170 strokes per shave.
    Now that might at first account seem very high - but the next time you shave (DE razor, etc) - count every stroke you make including small clean-up touches under the nose, etc and you'll be amazed at the number you actually make.

engrsaks likes this.
  15. engrsaks

I no longer use DE. When moving to Canada, out of fear of having those taken away at airport, I gave it all away to my cousin who just started shaving. But, I count each and every stroke on my face (been doing that for a long time). It takes exactly 8 full length strokes to cover my whole face and get a decent one pass shave with proglide. I have to admit, shaving became less of a pleasure for me when I reduced the number of strokes and turned it into a 5 minute game only. But, it does pay you back with a better mileage.

16. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Wow, I think I 'spend' 8 strokes on just one cheek :)

engrsaks likes this.
  17. engrsaks

Yes, it took me quite some time to tune up every thing and squeeze out a better mileage. Now, its a habit. :)