The Incredible Shrinking Schicks

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by gorgo2, Mar 30, 2019.

1. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

You know those early Schick injectors with the whitish handles that you see every now and then all shrunk up, while others are just fine? What causes that? Are they a light-colored Bakelite or celluloid?

2. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Improper storage for decades maybe?

Frijolero, Billyfergie and Hembree like this.
  3. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Right, I should have been clear, what kind of plastic are those made of? Never seen another plastic do that.

Frijolero and Hembree like this.
  4. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I have always thought some kind of celluloid. Not sure though. Never have figured out what causes that. Looks like a heat thing.

5. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

That's my guess too but haven't seen celluloid confirmed anywhere. Funny how they can end up looking like the tiniest dried out fragment of a bar of soap with a razor head attached.

6. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

It is veddy weird. I have seen some funky looking Es too.

7. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

The E Types are Bakelite..People Mess Handles Up with Cleaning Chemicals..It Can Also Melt the Handles or Distort then as Well..The Later G Types are Celluloid..They Can Melt & Discolor as Well with Chemical Cleaning...:happy088:

Billy..:chores016:

Frijolero, brit and Hembree like this.
  8. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

So is that why I've never seen a butterscotch handle that's shriveled up, only the white ones?

9. Lee Russell

Lee Russell Member

sorry to jumped into the conversion, in what year you're talking about I'm curious?

10. RyX

RyX DoH!

All the different "types" are an invention of modern collectors of these vintage injectors. Pile of details --> HERE.

GatorJoe likes this.
  11. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

The Ones that Look Kinda White are Type G 1..They are Celluloid and were Brought Out on 1946...The Type Es Came Out on 1936 and Stopped Production in the USA on that Same Year...The Type E Injectors were Continued in the Canadian Factory Until the 50s...;)

Both Can Melt Down with Chemicals But Most of the Ones Ya See are G Types...Yes...:D

Billy..:chores016:

Frijolero, brit and RyX like this.
  12. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

Out or off gassing plastic resulting in the shape shrinking if I remember correctly. That said, Bakelite is a wonderful plastic. Not sure what type of plastic was used in those rare black handle E Type however.

Frijolero likes this.
  13. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

If any of you have some handles that are pretty bad off, just take some fire to it, or just a small shaving of the handle. It it flames up, fast and furious, it is celluloid.

Frijolero, brit and Billyfergie like this.
  14. Lee Russell

Lee Russell Member

Thanks Man, I'll looked into it :)

Frijolero likes this.