The Irisch Moos Round-Up Thread

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Shep, Mar 4, 2009.

1. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

Thanks to Zen Master Kool-Aid I received a stick of the much sought after, ever elusive IM yesterday. Between Zen and Superlather many of you will be getting yours soon as well. This thread will serve as an ongoing discussion for members’ thoughts and opinions. Today was my first shave with it and there is admittedly a bit of that wide-eyed “Oooo” factor involved so I will chime in and update as time and shaves go by as well. These are my first impressions though.

The presentation. It comes in a beautiful forest green box inside of which is a deodorant style tube with a cap and push bottom. The stick is off white to cream in color and hard to the touch. It is a very attractive set up that will look nice in any shave den. However I’m not much of a stick-man so I milled it down into a medium sized rubbermaid dish; not nearly as attractive but more functional for me. It’s a lot of soap at 3.5 oz.

The scent. If there is any downside this would be it albeit a minor one. The problem is I was expecting some kind of outdoorsy, grassy, natural aroma due to some comments I read previously. I’m sorry, but I just don’t get that at all. It has a very man-made, detergent/soap scent. Something akin to a scented bath bar. It’s not unpleasant or odoriferous so don’t be discouraged. It’s simply not an outdoors smell. As I lathered it, I detected similarities to Tabac. I’m betting there is one or more of the same EO or FO included in both. However for those who don’t like the smell of Tabac don’t fret. IM is different enough that you won’t be constantly reminded of Tabac.

The lather. Here is where it will remind you of Tabac. It produced a rich, thick, creamy lather that felt very slippery to the fingers. It required a tad more water than some products I have but nothing I would consider ridiculous. Plenty of peaks and cool whip like texture. The look and feel of the lather is an A+.

The shave. I am very impressed. Again we’re talking shave #1 here, but I’m fairly confident the claims of it being identical to Tabac are accurate. Today was shave #3 with a Feather blade; not typically a great shave-day for me. This lather provided so much protection and glide that I barely felt any dragging or slippage as would be customary on a Feather, shave-3. It provided plenty of cushion and slippery slickness. It remained moist and my face felt hydrated throughout and after the shave. I received a very close and comfortable shave.

After-Action. I finished off with a splash of Cade which let’s face it, can be pretty harsh after a bad shave. A short lived and minor burn was all I got. All I can say is mission accomplished. As I now stroke my cheeks and neck all I’m getting is that moist after-feeling that only a good soap or cream can provide and plenty of smoothy, smoothness. I need to shave back to back days with this and Tabac to properly compare them, but I’m thinking IM will be placed at the top of pyramid along side it. I’m very impressed and very happy with this purchase. So far. Please report your findings here as well.

2. Glad you're liking the Moos, Shep.

Since you mention it, I'll throw in that someone had previously asked me if I got Irish Spring notes from the scent of the Moos, and at that point I had not... however, having used it a few times, there is definitely an Irish Springyness, which isn't bad but its definitely a soapy rather than spicy or natural scent. I still like the scent better than Tabac, but its fully a matter of preference as there are some people that just LOVE the smell of Tabac.

Other than that, I'm right there with you. IM is a great soap and hopefully it will become regularly available at superlather. I'm sure for many, this will be a staple part of the rotation - myself included.

3. 1969Fatboy

1969Fatboy New Member

:whacky084

Very nice to here the good news Shep! Lucky you weren't one of the lucky ones to order one back in November:rolleyes: I will have my Moos one day but probably not in the near future. Very nice review though! 3.5 oz is alot of soap also! Thats going to last a long time!

4. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Achhhhh, I must to get one of these Irisch Moos sticks one day. I have a tube of the cream, which I find has an adorable scent, and the lather and skincare are terrific also. Everybody talks about the stick, so now, is my turn to experience, yes?

5. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

Where did you get the cream Jeff?

6. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

As a gift from a friend, Shep.

7. DragonBoy

DragonBoy Team Player

I have Irish Moos in a bowl - wonder if its the same as the stick..

8. Dr. Mike

Dr. Mike New Member

My tracking information says mine will be here in time for my Friday night shave. Can't wait.

9. whiskerlips

whiskerlips Member

Where did you get the bowl? I was under the impression it was stick only?

10. I was wondering that too. He lists it under vintage soaps in his Den list, so I figure he probably has the old formula before Maurer &Wirtz took over the production of it.

The new formulation is pretty recent. I can't say exactly when it started being produced by M&W, but I think its been within the past year or so. It has not been released into a puck by M&W. Not yet anyway.

11. yomuppet

yomuppet Member

One comment -- if your Moos is anything like my Arlington, the scent will rapidly change in the first two weeks. One thing to accelerate this is to leave the cap off for 24-48 hours to allow the soap to "settle", so to speak.

When I first got Arlington, it was a very bright citrus, with no "fern" to speak of. After airing, it had settled down to a quick citrus with a nice deep fern note.

If you have the patience, I suggest giving that a shot, or else it will happen naturally after 2 weeks or so. I suspect Moos will settle down to be a greener scent, but only time (one way or the other) will tell.

Cheers.

J

12. 1969Fatboy

1969Fatboy New Member

Klaus-MovieManiac has it in the bowl as well and believe it was older stock that is no longer produced?

13. whiskerlips

whiskerlips Member

Any chance someone could get the camera out for some pics? I'd love to see what it looks like.

14. superbleu

superbleu Active Member

check this thread my good man.

15. 1969Fatboy

1969Fatboy New Member

I think he wants a pic of the bowl. I thought Klaus had a picture of his somewhere?
    edit: I see its in a different container:(
    [​IMG]

16. superbleu

superbleu Active Member

17. whiskerlips

whiskerlips Member

Yeah, I was picturing a milk glass/Tabac type bowl made with the irisch moos logo surrounded by prancing leprechauns and unicorns. No such luck.

18. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

Bong is that a pic of your goods or did you snag it off the internet somewhere? If it's your stuff I definitely want to hear about that aftershave. Let me know.

19. 1969Fatboy

1969Fatboy New Member

I think that was from the infamous....Irisch Moos still around? thread across the street. I thought I have seen a bowl somewhere but dont remember. It would be cool if there were dancing leprechauns on it though:D

20. superbleu

superbleu Active Member

Google images,not mine. Sorry Shep.