The Jubilee, a date with the Queen

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Sodapopjones, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

There's nothing like receiving a package with shaving items bequeathed inside, yet there's nothing more special then receiving something with merit, character and that personal touch.

Its not every day we receive a package from out of country, nor is it everyday we plunk down more than a handful of clams for a very nice brush, yet when we do, this is what should be.

Behold a plain, two piece cardboard box stapled to hold shape from the United Kingdom, adorned with several stickers, some of which many have never seen before; I know what you're thinking, but honestly, how often do we get mail this unique?!

[​IMG]

Before opening said parcel, I spritzed the room with some Trumpers Wild Fern, to give myself that full British effect, nothing screams British more-so than Trumpers Wild Fern and Simpsons when it comes to wet-shaving.

As I cut open, and pull apart the fashioned two pieced box, I'm greeted with: a wax lined tissue paper, a tube of Simpsons Unscented Aftershave Balm, a hand wrote invoice, and the Jubilee, in the traditional dark green Simpsons box, adorned with a sticker and handwriting, noting the make, model, and hair type.
    [​IMG]

As the Trumpers Wild Fern vibrates throughout my sinuses, I pry open the green Simpsons box and remove the brush from its resting place adorned in tissue paper and keeping company the Simpsons brush care card, only to expose it to the light of my well lit bathroom; behold a gem!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If you haven't been overwhelmed with the timely experience dating back decades ago, then this shall only push you past the vintage cliff of reminiscence of time passed, a freshly minted coin, bejeweled in the base of the brush.
    [​IMG]

There has been criticism, that the Jubilee was too "Kitchy" too "Small" too whatever you want to spout, honestly this brush purchase goes beyond being a brush, its an experience, something of which many haven't experienced in a long while, while others probably have never experienced at all, not do to price, prestige or snobbery, yet the mere fact nobody does this process this personal and by hand anymore, nobody!

The Jubilee hasn't hit my face yet, however its made more impact than any brush I have ever owned, due to the simplicity of ages gone by, those personal touches we never see anymore, and the fact the brush is gorgeous, even if it has its "British" flaws, for nothing is perfect.

I can't wait to put in face time with this brush, it has more character and feel than any other brush I have been lucky enough to hold.

As for the blurred address field, I'm sure everyone has no problem appreciating my privacy after seeing how many of our photo's show up on other sites unwarranted.

2. dougr

dougr Well-Known Member

Shave QE CoronationSet.JPG Wonderful pictures and thanks for sharing the "event", Aaron. Also, here is my vintage Queen Elizabeth Coronation razor from the 1950 era. Doug
    ShaveQE Coronation Set.JPG

3. Sodapopjones

Thanks Doug, that razor set is amazing, you my friend are luckier than I!

alpla444 likes this.
  4. Latherman87

Latherman87 Well-Known Member

Aaron......I said it once this morning and I will say it again......I hate you lol. On a lighter note.....I felt like I was reading an excerpt from something like a mix between a Quentin Tarantino film and a Alfred Hitchcock film. Creepy yet utterly satisfying......well played sir.....well played. lol

5. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Nice to see some more of your more exotic brushes and great photo's, The IOM pound coin on the base is a nice touch. :cool:, and with such a small production run you did well in getting one.

Sodapopjones likes this.
  6. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Ah, you just don't want to admit that it blurred and ran from the tears of joy that you wept when the mailman handed you the box. ;) As for any kitchyness, one should remember that in times past (ie. HRM QE II's coronation) Gillette made 3 special "Coronation" sets, and there were a variety of ashtrays and soap mugs as well, that are a bit easier to find than the Coronation razors.:)

It would be better to say, "the tradition lives on."

Sodapopjones likes this.
  7. Monkeylord

Monkeylord The Lather Lord

A beutiful brush...I personally love the look, it doesn't seem kitchy at all :)

Sodapopjones and GDCarrington like this.
  8. iambatman85

iambatman85 Well-Known Member

Love the brush and the story. Seems like a great collectable to have

Sodapopjones likes this.
  9. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

That is beautiful. Makes me wish I could shell out 125 quid for a brush without getting a frying pan upside the head. That Manchurian badger is sure good looking with that handle too.

10. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Niiiiiiiiice!

Sodapopjones likes this.
  11. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

I like the concept and everything about the brush except for the handle color. It's ugly to my eyes.

12. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Very Nice.

I am surprised it got there with your address obscured and all.

13. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Great! Congrats, matey!

14. Sodapopjones

Haha thanks gentlemen, the laughs and praise were appreciated!

I haven't really bought anything "Notable" or really been following wet-shaving much this year, but I had to have the QEII.

15. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Really good to see you again Aaron! That brush ain't bad either dude :D

16. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

Congrats, that's a beautiful brush.

17. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Aaron, that is a beautiful brush. Enjoy it to the fullest!

Sodapopjones likes this.
  18. Turk

Turk Well-Known Member

Awesome brush and great writeup! It was a cliff hanger!

Sodapopjones likes this.
  19. Sodapopjones

The QE II is set to take her maiden voyage this afternoon to Turkey were she will be met by an Arko shave stick, after careful preparations have been made to ensure smooth sailing.

During the initial cleansing and testing phase, I was quite amazed at the "Spring" and how "Gel Like" the tips were; however you can't truly appreciate this brush lathering your palm or in a bowl; trust me I tried.

I will continue the story of "The Jubilee, a date with the Queen" later tonight. ;)

Here's a teaser photo, snowy white tips in a hefty handle.

[​IMG]

GDCarrington likes this.
  20. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

So does "she" have her first shave under her belt?