THe Merkur HD.....

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by lferg, Feb 7, 2009.

1. lferg

lferg New Member

How aggressive would you say the HD or 34C is?

2. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Personally, I find it on the mild side. I like the feel of it so I keep trying to use it, but unless I pair it with a sharp blade, I don't get close shave unless I make extra passes.

3. lferg

lferg New Member

I am thinking the same thing. I love the weight of the razor but would like it to be a bit more aggressive. Can anyone suggest a razor with a similar weight/feel that is a bit more aggressive?

4. magic

magic New Member

Yes the exact same razor but in Open Comb known as the Merkur 12C. About 1/10th of an ounce lighter. HD 2.7
    HD OC 2.6

But shaves much much better and same 2 piece

5. lferg

lferg New Member

I thought an open comb was only for a heavy beard... I have the "Joe Dirt" beard. :D

6. magic

magic New Member

Don't believe everything you read(but believe this) you can shave with any type of razor that works for you. If you don't like it you can always sell it.

7. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

I use an open comb 2-3 times a week. They give a nice close shave. Yeah, they are nice if you have a heavy beard as they don't clog as often. However, they also don't push as much lather away from the blade so you can get a closer shave with about any beard.

8. Musky

Musky New Member

After purchasing a SuperSpeed and a FatBoy set to 6 I would say the Merkur HD is actually more aggressive. Could also be my shaving style, but it is a very nice razor and I used it exclusively for two years.

9. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

If your fatboy is set to 6 and you still feel the HD is more aggressive...

Lets do a quick function check on your fatboy. Open the silo doors. Adjust it to 9. The bottom plate should be pushed all of the way up. When you turn it back to 1, is there a gap that forms between the dial and the head, or does the bottom plate slide back down with the dial as it supposed to? Many of these older adjustables have enough crud in them that the adjustment doesn't work. If that is the case, it just takes some work to clean.