The more Agressive of the Two

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by jbcohen, Nov 11, 2007.

1. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

If my Sister-in-Law's husband shaves at seven in the morning he needs to shave again by eleven. Of course he is most likely using those terrible cartridge razors. I am going to loan him one of my double edge razors to try out. I have two razors that may be candidates for him. One is a red tip super speed and the other is an open comb Gillette Speedway. Which do you see as the better candidate for him?

2. Lionhearted

Lionhearted New Member

Personally I find a red tip a bit easier to use and if he likes it it's easier to find one. Both are a bit on the aggressive side. I rank the red tip 4th out of the 21 razors I own. My Speedway was so rough I sold it.

This is most of my collection about ten days ago. Since then I've sold a couple and bought a couple.

[​IMG]

They're arranged in order of my rankings but not very logically. The ones I'm keeping are the bottom eight and the one on the far right I rank the best down to number 8, the slim adjustable on the left.

Richard

3. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

very nice collection

4. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

I'd vote for loaning him the red tip.

BTW Richard - Very nice!

5. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

And here I was thinking that I had the largest collection in the shave den. I have seven razors and about twenty boxes of blades. My brother-in-law's husband has a problem with shaving, he gets a five o'clock shadow real early. I am thinking an agressive double edge will help. Would you say that a straight is more agressive then a double edge?

6. JMS

JMS New Member

If you mean will his shave last longer, then the answer is yes!
    It takes time and practice to get good at straights though!

7. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

I would like to get this thread a bit more back on subject and re-address the question that I first posed my Sister-in-laws' husband needs an agressive shaver. I was thinking of loaning him either a red tip super speed or a speedway. Looks liek neither is more agressive, its just that the suepr speed is easier to use.

8. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Since you own both razors and have had the opportunity to test them both with a couple of different blades, you should be able to tell yourself which is more aggressive I would think. Since I don't have a speedway, I can't comment but, the red tip is the most aggressive (read for heavy beards) of the black/blue/red tip trio of Gillette razors and should be a fine choice if aggressiveness is your primary criteria.

9. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

That is true Qhsdoitall, I like to have other's opinions when I make decisions. I find if I make decisions alone I tend to get them wrong.

10. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Most of us had never heard of, let alone used a Speedway, before you posted about yours, jb. Therefore we can hardly express our thoughts or opinions in regards to a comparison.

Sorry.

11. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

When you ask mutiple questions in the same thread you are going to get answers. If you want to stay with one subject then I recommend you ask questions pertinent to that subject. You asked a question pertaining to DE's then a question about straight razors. When the straight razor question was answered you requested to stay on subject for the thread. I suggest you stay on subject.

loan the red tip.

Raf

12. JMS

JMS New Member

Well, it's nice to see I am not the only one read it like this! I suspected that maybe I read it wrong or took it a little too personal, so I didn't post anything until I was certain!
    Thanks Scorpio!

13. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

I was confused by the ...stay on track post.

I have to agree with JoAnna. You own both of the razors, so you should know which one is more aggressive. Go with your gut instinct padawan :)

14. jfrancisco

jfrancisco New Member

I would go with the Red tipped.

The speedway is an aggressive razor, and yet a light-weight razor. It is it's light weight that works against it. When I use one on my heavy beard, the razor just skips along and cuts me up pretty good. I find that I have to put quite a bit of pressure to the razor to get consistent results. That works against the "no pressure" shaving mantra and so I don't use it anymore.

The red-tipped super speed, with its heavier weight would be the better tool for the job. If he likes shaving with a DE, I would highly recommend a Merkur 38C. It is an even heavier razor that really gives a fantastic shave with my beard type.

Now of course this is just my opinion.

15. Will

Will Nevermind

What is the sound of one hand clapping?