The most solid (dry) shaving soap.

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by AlDm, Sep 16, 2018.

1. AlDm

AlDm Well-Known Member

"Mitchell's Woolfat" I read a good review about this soap, but I myself have never seen it, and still I did not use it. This soap is available online. Thank you
    @BigMark83.

Это мыло есть в онлайн продаже. Спасибо @BigMark83.

BigMark83 likes this.
  2. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Haslinger Schafmilch & Razorock"what the puck"

AlDm likes this.
  3. AlDm

AlDm Well-Known Member

Thanks @Ron R For your response.
    Has come to create time the list from all offered versions. If there will be an interest to this branch, the list will be divided into groups. It depends on interest to a branch and recommendations by definition ' hardness / dryness ' soaps. Soap will be presented by one list, by way of entering into subject matter.
    1"D R Harris"
    2"Soap Commander"
    3"Mike's Natural Soaps"
    4"William's mug"
    5"Martin de Candre"
    6"Czech & Speake"
    7"DR Harris"
    8"MWF"
    9"Klar"
    10"Tabac"
    11"Wet Shaving Products"
    12"Razorock"
    13"Van deer Hagen"
    14"Pre De Provence"
    15"L’Ocitane "
    16"Muhle"
    17"Haslinger Schafmilch"

Спасибо @Ron R за ваш отзыв.
    Пришло время создать список из всех предложенных вариантов. Если будет интерес к этой ветке, список будет разделён на группы. Это зависит от интереса к ветке и рекомендаций по определению "твёрдости / сухости " мыла. Мыло будет представлено одним списком, в порядке внесения в тему.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
  4. AlDm

AlDm Well-Known Member

Gentlemen, ask your attention and request to leave your feedback in the form (form). Letter and number. Everything is very simple. Letter, this is the highest evaluation of the qualities of soap. The aromatic component is not taken into account. Only shaving qualities. Smoothness of shaving, cream and stability.
    There will be only 2 letters A and B.
    A - Very good (highest score).
    B - All right.
    The figure denotes the No. of soap in the list. For example A - 10 - this means soap with No. 10, Highest grade.
    Thus, two groups will be formed. A is a group, and B is a group.

Джентльмены, попрошу вашего внимание и просьбой оставить свой отзыв в виде ( форме). Буква и цифра. Всё очень просто. Буква, это высшая оценка качеств мыла. Ароматическая составляющая не учитывается. Только бритвенные качества. Гладкость бритья, сливки и устойчивость. Будет всего 2 буквы А и В. А - Очень хорошо ( высшая оценка). В - Хорошо. Цифра обозначает № мыла в списке.
    Например А - 10 - это значит мыло с № 10, Высшая оценка. Таким образом будут образованы 2 группы. А - группа, и В - группа.

5. AlDm

AlDm Well-Known Member

I will put the first assessment. I used "Muhle" soap, and this is the B.
    16-B.

Я поставлю первую оценку. Я пользовался мылом Muhle, и это оценка B.
    16 - B.

6. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

You should be looking for triple-milled soap or quadruple-milled soaps. Soft soaps will lose moisture and can become very hard if left uncovered as you have said.

Triple or quadruple milled soaps:
    Valobra hard soap (Czech and Speake and vintage Art of Shaving tallow are also Valobra-made soaps) A
    Pre de Provence B
    Saponifico Varesino B
    D. R. Harris B
    I would avoid the other English hard soaps, most of them were re-formulated a few years ago and are no longer good soaps (C - laughing)

Some soft soaps that I know will lose moisture and become very hard:
    I Coloniali Mango Oil (discontinued) A
    Antica Barbieria Colla (ABC) cream. A

Good luck in your hunt - I used to speak Russian many years ago in college, it is a beautiful language!

Cheers, Steve

AlDm, RyX and Linuxguile like this.
  7. RyX

RyX DoH!

I worked with a fellow from Belarus for a couple of years. Yuri taught me a number of word and phrases, but not language I could use in polite company. His English was much better than my Russian would ever become. I think he was better at Spanish than me, too.

Я пару лет работал с парнем из Беларуси. Юрий научил меня ряду слов и фраз, но не язык, который я мог бы использовать в вежливой компании. Его английский был намного лучше, чем мой русский стал бы когда-либо. Я думаю, что он был лучше на испанском, чем я.

AlDm and Steve56 like this.
  8. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

I have several soaps from your list and it seems to me that dr Harris may be the dryest one of them followed by Art of shaving pucks. The Williams, MWF and tabac are dry but not as dry. Another real dry one that I have is vintage old spice..

AlDm and RyX like this.
  9. AlDm

AlDm Well-Known Member

There were the first messages with the evaluation of soap, thank you @Steve56 for sharing your practical experience.
    So.
    Category A-
    -"Valobra" hard soap , " Czech and Speake", Art of Shaving tallowI - A
    "Coloniali Mango Oi" -l A (upon drying)
    "Antica Barbieria Colla" A (upon drying)
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Category B -
    Pre de Provence B
    D. R. Harris B
    Muhle -B
    I beg you, to make a fair observation to me if I could not correctly interpret machine automatic translation, from English into Russian.

Появились первые сообщения с оценкой мыла, спасибо @Steve56за то, что вы поделились своим практическим опытом.
    Итак.
    Категория А -
    Valobra hard soap - Czech and Speake, Art of Shaving tallow
    I Coloniali Mango Oil А (при высыхании)
    Antica Barbieria Colla А ( при высыхании)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Категория В -
    Pre de Provence B
    D. R. Harris B
    Muhle -B
    Прошу вас, сделать мне справедливое замечание, если я не правильно смог истолковать машинный автоматический перевод, с английского на русский.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
  10. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Yes, that is correct I believe, except that I did not mention Muhle, that was someone else. Unfortunately my Russian is not trustworthy anymore !

Cheers, Steve!

AlDm likes this.
  11. AlDm

AlDm Well-Known Member

Hi Steve (@Steve56)! On the soap 'Muhle' I said))). And put him an estimate of B, it seemed to me not quite 'smooth' / 'slippery', although the foam from it turned out to be of good quality. I talked about 'Mule' in message No. 25. In message No. 29, I combined your assessments and evaluation into the soap 'Mule', which I know. If messages with soap variants and evaluation will be added, I will combine in one message, so that it is easy to read / view.

Привет Steve (@Steve56)! О мыле "Muhle" говорил я ))). И поставил ему оценку B, мне оно показалось не достаточно "гладким" /"скользким", хотя пена из него получилась хорошего качества. Я говорил о "Mule" в сообщении № 25. В сообщении №29 я объединил ваши оценки и оценку В мылу "Mule", которое мне знакомо. Если будут добавляться сообщения с вариантами мыла и оценкой, я буду объединять в одно сообщение, чтобы это было удобно читать/просматривать.

12. mousecop

mousecop Active Member

DR Harris, as others have mentioned, is a triple-milled soap. It is quite hard. I have not seen anyone mention Saponificio Varesino. It is on the pricey side, but it is also triple milled, quite hard, and an outstanding performer.

PLANofMAN and AlDm like this.
  13. AlDm

AlDm Well-Known Member

Thank you @mousecop, that expressed their opinion based on the experience of using such varieties of soap as "DR Harris" and "Saponificio Varesino". Soap "DR Harris" came in the category B. (B - All right.). If you do not agree with this, you can assign an A (A - Very good (highest score)). In this case, the soap will be in 2 categories "A" and "B".
    What is the quality of the soap "Saponificio Varesino"? I can not without your definition of quality, make a group 'A' or 'B'. Once you determine to which group the soap "DR Harris" and "Saponificio Varesino" will be assigned, a list change will be made.

Спасибо @mousecop, что высказали свое мнение, основанное на опыте использования таких сортов мыла, как "DR Harris" и "Saponificio Varesino". Мыло "DR Harris" вошло в категорию В. ( B - All right. ). Если вы не согласны с этим, можете присвоить индекс А ( A - Very good (highest score)). В этом случае, мыло будет в 2 категориях "А" и "В".
    Какому качеству соответствует мыло "Saponificio Varesino"? Я не могу без вашего определения качества, внести в группу "А" или "В". Как только вы определите к какой группе будет отнесено мыло "DR Harris" и "Saponificio Varesino", будет произведено изменение списка.

14. mousecop

mousecop Active Member

Personally, I would rate both as A's. If I was nit-picking, I would give DR Harris an "A-" and Saponificio Varesino an "A." But can't go wrong with either.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

AlDm likes this.
  15. SparrowPoint

SparrowPoint Active Member

Williams
    Institute Karite
    Omega Barberia

AlDm likes this.
  16. DanielB

DanielB Member

I've scraped, grated, and rolled out or hand pressed samples of over 25 different shaving soaps and the hardest I've used by far was Mitchell's Wool Fat. Grating out a 10g sample from my unused puck took nearly 20 minutes, and then it took drops of water, hand warming to soften AND repeated compression with a rubber mallet in order to re-form it into the desired shape. Yeah Tabac is hard too, but it was a breeze in comparison! Williams, too easy!

RyX and AlDm like this.
  17. AlDm

AlDm Well-Known Member

@mousecop, Your opinion is taken into account, changes will be made in the list of soap. Thank you.

@mousecop, Ваше мнение учтено, в списке мыла будут сделаны изменения. Спасибо.

18. AlDm

AlDm Well-Known Member

Reminder for those who are involved in this thread of discussion of a solid (dry) soap.
    You can add a grade of soap that you consider to be the toughest (dry).
    You can choose a category for the soap you proposed.
    Category A (Very good (highest score)
    Category B (All right)
    When you select a category, you evaluate only the shaving properties of soap (shaving smoothness, razor slip, foam stability) .Aromatic features are not taken into account, only quality shaving.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Category A-
    "D. R. Harris" - A
    "Saponificio Varesino" - A
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Category B -
    "Pre de Provence"- B
    "D. R. Harris" - B
    "Muhle" -B
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RyX likes this.
  19. AlDm

AlDm Well-Known Member

Variants of varieties of solid soap are added.
    Gentlemens
    @SparrowPoint
    @DanielB

shared their experiences, and made some variants of soap (highlighted in text). Please determine the category of soap A or B, in which you need to make your proposed soap options.

Варианты сортов твёрдого мыла добавляются.
    Джентльмены
    @SparrowPoint
    @DanielB
    поделились своим опытом, и внесли некоторые варианты мыла ( выделены в тексте). Пожалуйста, определите категорию мыла А или Б, в которую нужно внести ваши предложенные варианты мыла.

20. AlDm

AlDm Well-Known Member

Reminder for those who are involved in this thread of discussion of a solid (dry) soap.
    You can add a grade of soap that you consider to be the toughest (dry).
    You can choose a category for the soap you proposed.
    Category A (Very good (highest score)
    Category B (All right)
    When you select a category, you evaluate only the shaving properties of soap (shaving smoothness, razor slip, foam stability) .Aromatic features are not taken into account, only quality shaving.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Category A-
    "D. R. Harris" - A
    "Saponificio Varesino" - A
    Category B -
    "Pre de Provence"- B
    "D. R. Harris" - B
    "Muhle" -B
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Category ?
    Soap which is in the category '?' will be moved to the appropriate categories of 'A' or 'B', after the users who have introduced these soap variants determine.
    Мыло которое находится в категории "?" будут перенесены, в соответствующие категории "А" или "В", после определения пользователями, которые внесли эти варианты мыла.
    "Mitchell's Wool Fat" - ?
    "Tabac" - ?
    "Williams"- ?