The Muhle R41 has arrived!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by dadvest, Nov 17, 2011.

1. dadvest

dadvest Active Member

The R41 came in today! Shout out to Razor Blades and More for quick shipping and extra blades! $67 for USPS Priority Mail, the razor with 40 blades and a extra 10 blade gift was a great deal for me! Connaught was out of stock when I finally pulled the trigger, but I liked this deal!
    PDR_0022.JPG PDR_0023.JPG I loaded it with a Red Personna which I have used recently and like. And probably because I saw the blade exposure and gap and it took me back a bit! So It will be ready in the morning. I purposly shaved only 2 passes with my Red Tip and a Wilky today so I got me some stubble going on. So I will report back tomorrow on my result. But from play'n with the angle on my arm I think daddy gonna likey!

2. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

It's pretty intimidating, huh? It's likely going to take you a shave or two to get the feel of it right, but after that it'll be smooth sailing. Prepare for the weirdness which is the 2011 R-41. You may even be disappointed with the in process shave experience but the results will make you say hmmmm. It really is something different. I don't even notice the strangeness of it now.

Enjoy it!

3. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

I have used SuperMax Titanium blades in another packaging. I liked those blades!

4. Ian Walsh

Ian Walsh New Member

Very Nice.

5. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Very nice razor, :)

6. dadvest

dadvest Active Member

First shave in complete! Wow, how smooth on a 2 pass shave! Still have to work out the bugs on the blade angle in some areas but overall no problems and a great shave! Noisy little bugger too! I am not sure that the Red Personna is going to be a good blade for the R41 and me though because I toasted this one with just a single shave. I can get 3 in my fatboy with one. No cuts or weepers or blade burn just smooth like I am seeking. Not dissapointed at all and I am scared no longer! My only worry is, will I get enough growth back to shave again tomorrow! Thanks for the recommendation all you R 41 pushers! Great Razor!

moz68, battle.munky and Johnny like this.
  7. Johnny

Johnny Little Boy Blue

Dave at Razor Blades and More is great to deal with. Try some Gillette 7 O'Clock Blues in that beauty.

8. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

Eek, no way Jose, blues tug pretty bad in the R41... I wouldn't use anything other than a Yellow, Iridium or Rapira if we are talking Russian.

9. ossiezig

ossiezig New Member

I had a similiar experience my first time with the R41 and left a little stubble out of fear of making a 3rd pass. With each passing shave I gained a little more courage and by the third shave I was getting a BBS that no other safety razor I own could give me. Once you get comfortable with it it's an awesome experience. I'm going to pick up a 2nd one as a travel razor(most sellers are out of stock at the moment which is no surprise) and plan on selling some of my Merkurs. I'm just too spoiled now that I'm used to the quaility of the R41.

10. newb

newb Resident Newb

I'm kinda of diggin the R41 lately. For blades I've been using sharp's. I can get 2 really good shaves out of them in the R41 before they start tugging. Sharp's for me only give 2-3 shaves in any d/e I use. I can only do 1-2 passes with the R41, more and I have irritation. I usually do 1 pass with the 41 and finish with a nice blade buffing razor, such as a tech, red tip, or my flavour of the month L6, to get BBS. The R41 is pretty impressive. It's a fun razor to play with.

battle.munky likes this.
  11. dadvest

dadvest Active Member

Day 2 shave! Loaded the R41 with a Personna, either Med or Lab, don't know which. Blue wrapper and I am not sure how to tell the blades apart. First swipe and I nicked the sideburn area. Did someone say no pressure? Well that is a fact, I was paying too much attention to the angle and not enough on the pressure and a small nick. That behind me I proceeded being more aware of this beauty! 2 pass shave and no touch ups! BBS I think I can even get another shave from this blade. I dare any other razor to give me a BBS with 2 passes. I have that thick course beard that this razor likes to remove. Still much to learn but I really love this razor. I will have to come back and try the Red Personna's again once I get my technique down. But I have several samples to trial yet. Maybe someone can give me a clue as to what type Personna I used.

12. dadvest

dadvest Active Member

3rd shave today with the R41. Skipped shaving yesterday to let it grow and see what this fine piece of shaving equipment could do. 2nd shave using the Lab Personna blade. Smooth 2 pass shave with some touch ups on the chin area. BBS again! Head only one pass and soo clean and smooth. Going to go through this week trialing different blades that I have leaving the Voskhod and Feathers for last. The R41 is quite a different shave but I do like it.

rodd and battle.munky like this.
  13. dadvest

dadvest Active Member

I am interested in these blades and plan to try them tomorrow. I have been surprised at how some blades have behaved in the Fatboy vs. the R41.

14. Everett

Everett Well-Known Member

Tis a good looking razor, I think I just added something else to my Christmas list :p

dadvest likes this.
  15. frankflood

frankflood Active Member

just pulled a voskhod across my jaw using the "41". i've learned to respect this shaver and take my time. hope you enjoy yours as much as i have with mine

dadvest likes this.
  16. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

Was that a good thing or a bad thing, Frank? I hope a good thing. With all this talk about this thing I need to give one a try. Hello, Santa.........

17. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

:signs011: (i have ordered one havin it delivered to Poland and will collect in 4wks):)

dadvest likes this.
  18. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

It's a really amazing razor. Give it a good couple of shaves to master it and you will be rewarded with some of the best shaving of your life.

dadvest likes this.
  19. dadvest

dadvest Active Member

Okay this morning shave with the SuperMax Titanium was a chore. This blade pulled and tugged quite a bit in some areas. And by the time I had finished my headshave it was toast. It may work okay in my Red Tip or Fatboy but not in the R41 for me. Tomorrow I may try the Treet Classic. I used these a couple of times in the Fatboy and was surprised on how smooth they were. The R41 performed wonderfully though!

20. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

I have also used the Treet Classic and both it and the Supermax worked well in my Slim.