The Mulcuto #9

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by mrchick, Apr 4, 2015.

1. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Mulcuto Gradschnitt Rasierapparat

IMG_4049 (Large).JPG
    Hello TSD. My name is Mrchick and I have RAD. I received an Edwin Jagger DE89 razor for Christmas, which was my first experience with a non-cartridge razor. I instantly fell in love with DE shaving, but didn't buy my first vintage razor until the middle of February. I have purchased a number of razors, both DE and SE, since then and have enjoyed shaving with many of them. Nothing prompted me to want to write a review until I bought this razor.

Mulcuto has been around since about 1910 in Solingen Germany. They started with wedge blade razors and moved into double edge razors in the late 1920s. My razor is an example of the Gradschnitt Rasierapparat (Straight cut shaver) Number 9 comb-less razor. Mulcuto patented the bar guard with ridges under the blade and offered this design with angled head, tapered head and wing top designs. This bar guard design received the Gold Medal for comb-less razors at the 1932 London International Exhibition of Inventions.

My razor is the angled head design as seen below.

IMG_5782.JPG

I bought this razor thinking I was getting a slant razor. What I got isn't truly a slant as the blade is square to the handle and is not torqued at all. I decided to give it a try and threw a Derby Extra blade in it, even though this is not my favorite blade. I chose this blade because I used Derby's for the first month or so of DE shaving and am familiar with how it performs for me.

I did my usual prep of a hot shower and application of Art of Shaving pre-shave oil. I lathered up with TOBS grapefruit soap and preceded to shave. The first thing I noticed was how quiet it was. I initially thought I must have the angle wrong and rubbed my face to see if it was cutting. I was shocked to feel the best first pass ever with a Derby blade. I proceeded to finish a three pass BBS shave with no weepers and no irritation. This is the best first shave I have ever had with a new razor. I shaved with this razor for three days in a row and got nothing but great shaves. I would call this razor mild, but the best performing "mild" razor I have ever tried. This baby has a permanent place in my rotation and I will be on the lookout for more Mulcutos. I would love to hear from other Mulcuto users in this thread.

I bought this razor from Germany and it came with the instructions below. If any of you are German speakers, and see anything that adds to this review, please chime in.

IMG_4045 (Large).JPG

IMG_4046 (Large).JPG

Off to try my Grand Shave King.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2015
    brit, HolyRollah, Troy M and 2 others like this.
  2. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Great review and write up.

mrchick likes this.
  3. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

Interesting write up. Well written review also. Good photo's also. It looks like you are new to "Wet Shaving" enjoy it there is a learning curve. Welcome to the Forum.

tsdwelcome1.jpg

mrchick likes this.
  4. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Great review.

A) Now I want one,
    B) It's absolutely one of the more unusual takes on 'slant' that I've see. See point A,
    C) your Grand Shave King huh? See point A

PatrickA51 and mrchick like this.
  5. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Very nice write up. Cool razor, too.
    zVERYCOOL.png znice_razor.png

Darkbulb, PatrickA51 and mrchick like this.
  6. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Nice write up! :happy088:
    I had a Mulcuto 'Lebenlang' Diamon (early 20th century) that was fine razor. Purdy, too! The make was very popular with barbers.
    [​IMG]

mrchick likes this.
  7. GeneralKinetics

GeneralKinetics Well-Known Member

Isn't the Mulcuto slant the inspiration for the #102 slant?

8. mrchick

I don't have a 102, but it looks likely judging from pictures.

9. mrchick

That is a beautiful razor. I have a new mantra, "Must avoid straight razor RAD"

10. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

"Only one RAD at a time" :)

mrchick likes this.
  11. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

Looks to me to be the razor that greg @ikon copied for the shavecraft 102.

ChiefShaver likes this.
  12. ChiefShaver

ChiefShaver Well-Known Member

Oh wow, this is interesting to see AND read.

I am German and would like to try to translate it as good as even possible.

With a bit of time…:rofl:

If it would be interesting to you because this thread is a „little“ older…:rofl:

Greetings
    Thorsten

13. ChiefShaver

Not exactly this one. There is a razor (which I will receive within the next days) with a slant head. Slant, not torque.

In German it‘s called „Schrägschnitt“ which means that the head is slanted / tilted on the handle but not torqued. This „Schrägschnitt“ is the initial model from which Greg did a fine copy of. This is the iKon Shavecraft 102.

@mrchick it would be nice to have some additional pics of the sides of your razor. Seems to me that your model is a „Schrägschnitt“ not a „Geradschnitt“ as written in your attached documents…

Greetings
    Thorsten

Last edited: Feb 14, 2022
  14. ChiefShaver

Hi Friends,

So…let´s see that we can translate the first „Advertise“.

Mulcuto
    Straight cut shaver

With springy patented Push-on pins in the head cover of the Razor, which prevent the blade from slipping when screwed together. Protected by „Deutsche Reichs-Patente Nr. 819 713 u. 727 546

Hurting impossible

Due to the precise position of the 3 parts: Baseplate, Blade and Head cover, the special construction of the Safety plate and the solid Screw connection of the 3 pieces, it is possible to shave with the greatest carelessness, without being afraid of getting even the slightest injury to your skin on the face.

Especially you can put pressure to your skin which is crucial for a good shave.

Velvet smooth shaving!

The new safety plate of the Mulcuto-Razor is made of durable, ivory colored plastic, which is overall smoothed out and rounded through which velvety smooth shaving is achieved.

15. ChiefShaver

And here is the second advertise:

Shaved in the morning, still smooth in the evening.

1. Shave before washing. Use warm water. Spread the lather with your hands extensively. Tighten the area of the skin to be shaved with your free hand.
    2. First from top to bottom (North to South) with the „Normal ground edge“ which designates the first pass, which can easily be felt on the notch of the blunt side of the razor blade.
    3. Now lather up again and shave with the Hollow ground edge from bottom to the top (South to North), so that the stubbles which have been left can be shaven off clean and smooth. The Hollow ground edge means „second pass“, has no notch near the edge , which can therefore be easily determined.

The rest are prices and a few minor important instructions to get a blade out of the dispenser and to store / dry the blade after the usage.

Hope that helps, to get a little „fun“ with these old advertisments.

Greetings
    Thorsten