The Neocube

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by burningdarkness, Feb 24, 2009.

1. burningdarkness

burningdarkness Woot Off

I stumbled across this and wanted to share it. It's a bunch of high powered spherical magnets being sold as a puzzle/toy:

http://www.theneocube.com/

What do you guys think? Seems pretty cool, but is rather expensive and I'd be afraid of getting it near my computers/electronics and credit cards.

2. Ragnost

Ragnost Member

I bought 120 rare earth magnets of Ebay to build a Jenny rig as suggested by Bill Ellis on his CD for my straights $10 + p&p a lot cheaper than those but mine are flat but there were round ones also

3. superbleu

superbleu Active Member

Kind of cool. I think I would get bored of it quickly though.

4. burningdarkness

burningdarkness Woot Off

In my tiredness I completely overlooked that. What intrigued me was the idea that someone decided to use a bunch of magnets and market it as a toy.

Same here. There's only so much fun you can have with magnets before the cops come after you...

5. riffin

riffin Active Member

I've had these for a while. I keep the on my office wall (made of steel). I use them to break up mental log jams. Sometimes unexpected things happen, like when a string breaks, one ball can go flying across the room and get stuck to the bottom of a desk or chair. Making those beautiful snowflake and bucky ball patterns is VERY challenging.

Keep WAY out of the reach of children! Mine will never come home. Swallowing powerful magnets can cause severe internal injury.

It might have been cheaper to find them on ebay or wholesale or something. But I think they're pretty cool.

6. burnWood

burnWood Mizzou Fan, YMMV

that looks pretty cool.

7. burningdarkness

burningdarkness Woot Off

Thanks for the input. It would be cheaper just to buy the magnets from eBay.

I don't have any children around, but I'd be very concerned having them around as I have a lot of electronic equipment that would not want to become best friends with powerful magnets.

You can't have them, Ray. You'd probably try to eat them.