The nerve of her

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by tomnat, Feb 29, 2012.

1. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

So the other night I was taking the blade out of one of my razors and putting in another, getting ready for the morning. I have 7 or 8 razors standing up in plastic cup, which sits on the top shelf of our medicine cabinet, along with a couple that are just laying on the shelf next to it. Now, I don't advertise what I buy, to my wife nor do I particularly hide it either. It's more of a don't ask don't tell kind of thing. This medicine cabinet is one that she doesn't go into all that often, so she probably doesn't really pay any attention to what's in there. Anyway, in the middle of changing my blade, I got distracted and left the cup with all my razors in it on the counter. In the time I was gone she must have gone in there and noticed them sitting on the counter because later that night as we were getting ready for bed, she says to me, "why does one person with one face need so many razors?" uh oh........busted. I said, "well, they are different types." "Uh huh.", she said, "well, you don't need anymore." :eek: The nerve.............the gall.........I mean, hasn't she ever heard of RAD, BAD, SAD, SCAD, ASAD, etc, etc, etc. Jeez! Don't tell her that I may be looking for a new straight, a Hydro-Magic, a Schick E, and maybe the R41!!

Edit: I know you guys understand that this is done tongue in cheek. :p

2. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

Do what I did when my wife started complaining: get her using classic shaving gear ;) Now we shop together! lol

Shaver X, Asd, GDCarrington and 3 others like this.
  3. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

I'm glad I'm not married. The one thing that I can't tolerate very well is someone telling me what I can and can't have, do, buy or whatever. Of course supervisors at work or the parents growing up are a different matter.

4. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

She's pregnant so her maternal instincts are running on overload right now. Not to worry, just ship your stash to me and I'll hold it for you so I can trickle it to you. I know...Yeah, right!;)

tomnat and macaronus like this.
  5. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

My wife never says anything about my shaving gear. As I long do not go hog wild or over budget she is very understanding about my hobby. I have a great loving wife.

Asd, lradke, tomnat and 1 other person like this.
  6. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

How many pairs of shoes does your wife own? :D

I can't pull that card, however. Last weekend we (my wife, my two teenage daughters and I) counted who had the most of...

I won: the most pairs of shoes (6), the most sewing machines (about 15 vintage ones, of which 10 are on display), the most shaving gear (duh!), the most pairs of trousers, the most books (countless), the most socks, the most music on vinyl, the most tableware (of my late grandparents from both sides). Oh, and the least amount of hair :p
    My beloved wife has the most kitchen knives, though... :scared003: ... and the most grey hairs.

It was a fun evening. :)

7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Same here.

tomnat likes this.
  8. SharpSpine

SharpSpine Well-Known Member

Easy solution here Tom... some of those razors are going to be for your son. You're just getting to know them very well so that as he matures you'll know which razor or 2 will be the best for him! This isn't a hobby it's research!

tomnat, GDCarrington and CyanideMetal like this.
  9. GallagherJ

GallagherJ New Member

My wife started me on wet shaving, and now that I have caught the bug I feel she to will hold me back on my quest of every razor.:sad024:

tomnat and GDCarrington like this.
  10. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

My wife doesn't say anything about my shaving gear and fountain pens. I don't say anything about her sewing equipment or photography stuff. As long as there is food and the bills get paid, we are happier this way. Of course, I still try to avoid buying too much all at once.

Honestly, I think she just prefers me shaving each day and not having to look at a scruffy neck or a neck full of ingrowns and razor rash which I get with other shaving methods.

macaronus, tomnat and lradke like this.
  11. frankflood

frankflood Active Member

after every purchase i say" this really is the last one", and we both laugh about it. i really didn't need any more voskhod's after the last group buy, but they really do work good and now i'm covered with voskhods till i think i'm about 80

macaronus and tomnat like this.
  12. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Just let her know that as men get older, they start collecting things. Some men collect sports cars. Some men collect mistresses. Some men collect razors.

OK, only do this if she has a good sense of humor. More realisticlly, gift a razor to her (a pretty looking one works best with most women) and her attitude will likely change.

tomnat likes this.
  13. GallagherJ

GallagherJ New Member

Also make sure she is not a good shot if her humor lapses.

tomnat likes this.
  14. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

If you give her one of your razors (not bad idea, BTW) get her a nice new brush & her own soap to go with it. If you have one with a longer handle & a nice textured grip, she might like that best.

macaronus and tomnat like this.
  15. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

My ex bought me a Plisson, she had no problem with my shaving hobby, it was apparently me who she hated, just sayin'.

16. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

Same here. The biggest thing my wife had an issue with was that it was all for me. I would argue back that she spends hundreds on fabric a month, but those were for quilts that she gives away to people who have new babies.

When I started to give away razors and share my passion with others, her attitude changed completely. She knows I have scaled down my razors a lot, and even my soaps and creams (never had too many aftershaves though). She has gone from the attitude of "It's a selfish habbit" to "I want to buy you a manchurian badger brush, from that English brush company, for your birthday" and "I want to find you a nice shaving mug so you can stop using that old plastic cup".

So don't worry about it too much, she most likely thinks you are being selfish, once you show you're not, then her oppinion may change. :)

17. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

"Why does one person need so many razors?"

A possible answer:
    "One person doesn't need so many razors, they are a collection. It is like collecting anything else as a hobby, but the razors are actually used on a regular basis instead of just sitting there. To make things even better, they take up a minimal amount of space."

tomnat likes this.
  18. awake2shave

awake2shave Crazy Sharp Melon Baller

My wife just laughs at me when I bring up wet shavin , then I get called an old man lol , I think as long as I don't develop rad I will be in the clear.

19. cpowill

cpowill New Member

I am not home yet so still golden. Will let everyone know how it goes when I return from deployment. Right now she just thinks I have a few items. ;)

SharpSpine likes this.
  20. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

I get the same thing. :happy097: