The NEW Gillette Traveler Premium Combination Razor Set ???

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Joseph Olivier, Jul 31, 2018.

1. Joseph Olivier

Joseph Olivier New Member

Hello Members,
    New member here, 1st post, and new to the world of safety razor collecting. I'm a 57 year old male who recently discovered the world of vintage safety razors about 2 months ago, and quickly became obsessed with collecting. I recently came across a Gillette Traveler Premium Combination Razor Set for sale. Not sure if it's all correct, but the seller is firm at $250. It's not the kind of deal I typically pull the trigger on. I usually try and strike a deal in my favor, but not always. If purchased, this would be the most expensive single item in my collection to date. Does the set look correct/complete? I think it's missing a blade holder. Seller believes it originally came with only one. I have researched on the mr-razor site and have seen a variety of Traveler/Combination Sets, but none that match this set exactly. Does this Set match the box? What are your thoughts? Appreciate all your input. s-l1600 2.jpg s-l1600 3.jpg s-l1600 4.jpg s-l1600 5.jpg s-l1600 6.jpg s-l1600 7.jpg s-l1600 8.jpg s-l1600 9.jpg s-l1600 10.jpg s-l1600 1.jpg

Edison Carter and brit like this.
  2. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Wow, what a find. That is very nice indeed. Looks like it is missing one blade bank though. Someone will pay the $250 if he is in no hurry and holds out.
    Welcome to TSD, by the way. It is a great place to hang out and share our hobby.

zwelcome2b.jpg

Edison Carter likes this.
  3. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Are you into the razor or whole set? Depends your reason for buying it should determine if you purchase at that price. If you are only into the razor and not the whole set and such pass. For that type of money you can get a way cooler razor aka a Gillette Toggle.

AGHisBBS and Herm2502 like this.
  4. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

It definitely looks as though it is missing a second blade bank.

5. Joseph Olivier

Thanks for the reply. I'm willing to pay the $250 as long as it's a "fair price". I'm too new to the vintage safety razor collecting hobby to know if it's a "good/fair" deal. From the little research I've done, it seems to be fair, but again, who knows.

6. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Me personally I'd haggle the guy on the price over the missing blade bank regardless of whether he is firm or not. Tell I don't pay full price unless it is a full set. Watch how quick he either drops the price or grabs a blade bank from another case if he wants to move it that badly.

BigMark83 likes this.
  7. Joseph Olivier

Thanks. I'm into the razor AND the combination set as a whole. Plus the fact it has the original box, and that it appears to be in unused/like new condition. I've seen too many where the case is trashed. I can always get a second blade box to fill the vacant spot in the case.

RyX likes this.
  8. Joseph Olivier

Thanks. Seller started at $275, I offered $230, now he's at $250. I'm pretty certain the seller is not a razor collector. He acquired this at an estate sale, and mostly sells other vintage collectibles.

9. Joseph Olivier

I'm definitely into the Set as a whole. I'd be buying this as a collector item. Would not use it. Someday I will have a Gillette Toggle. Just waiting to discover the "right" deal.

10. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Either that or it is restored and he is trying to get his money back on the restoration. The box could be a reproduction also for all you know. That is the reason I won't pay a premium for Khaki sets or Goodwills in the box. Cardboard shouldn't be worth big money regardless of what is printed on it. If a buyer can't or won't authenticate the box you shouldn't pay a premium because it has one. When you get into $$$ - $$$$ range that is when people start having incentive to fake these things. Lower not so much unless you see the market flooded with NOS all at one time. BTW faked box/wrapper or not that set is worth $250 for sure based on what other US Aristocrats aka open comb TTO ones are going for as of late with the case and blade banks, restored or not if that is any indicator of the actual market as of late.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
    BigMark83 likes this.
  11. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

First and last rule of razor club if you advertise something like this go buy it right away after getting an answer if you really want it before someone monitoring this thread swoops in and buys it out under your nose.

AGHisBBS and PLANofMAN like this.
  12. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Most of us here know.

Notice the outer shipper. Then notice the wax paper that wrapped the case. Notice that the number printed on the paper matches the serial number on the razor.

That set, incomplete as it is, is worth $250. Toss in a replacement gold plated blade bank and it's value probably jumps up to $500 for the right person.

Due entirely to the good condition of the leather case and the fact that it has the shipper carton.

Mr. Razor's site is good, but it is by no means comprehensive. Much as he would like to, he doesn't own every single Gillette razor set produced.

Zed117, AGHisBBS, brit and 1 other person like this.
  13. Joseph Olivier

Yes, I considered that, but took a chance that no one would do that. Lucky for me that didn't happen. I jus bought the Set. Thanks for all the quick/helpful info.

PLANofMAN and Jrdelgado like this.
  14. Joseph Olivier

Yes, the seller pointed out that the serial number on the razor and the wax paper matched. Just bought the Set. I feel fairly comfortable that it's worth at least what I paid. Thank for all the helpful info.

15. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Anyone can fake wax paper and put matching numbers on it. Now the only way to make a case is the package wasn't opened. So what if what is in the box not NOS or something else. See the catch 22 here with packaging unless it is something like a blister pack.

16. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Packaging can be faked, but it wouldn't hold up to close scrutiny. Is it the same wax paper cause older ones would be more brittle, maybe even a watermark of some kind. The ink used won't match what the originals used. Even the type set of the numbers would have to be exact. Lots of variables to make fake items look real.

AGHisBBS likes this.
  17. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

There are many things that I would spend $250.00 on, a shaving kit is not among them.

AGHisBBS likes this.
  18. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Kind of hard to scrutinize something when not able to view it in person before buying. Also harder to authenticate with out legit originals which the average buyer may not have access to.

I'm playing devil's advocate here more so than anything else. Sometimes it pays to grill the seller a bit on stuff like this to feel them out if negotiating.

jimjo1031 likes this.
  19. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Ditto.

But I think I've paid that much for a mug and brush set before. Might have only been $175.

I can't remember what I paid for my fold-a-brush set either...but it was north of $100.

There's a lot of details on that set that scream authentic to me. The brush is authentic for the period, and the bristles look original as well. The stamping on that paper is identical to other sets I've seen. The interior lining of the box is correct, and the slight cracking of the leather is par for an unused case that has been sitting for years without leather conditioner.

Gillette England used the same style of stamping on the shipper cases denoting the number of the particular model set.

I suppose it could be an elaborate forgery, but that's a lot of work to get so many little details right. I suppose I could do it, but there's no way I would sell a set like that missing a blade bank, since the blade bank is the easiest part of it to find.

Edison Carter, AGHisBBS and brit like this.
  20. brit

brit in a box

very nice new improved set.i would like to acquire 1 nice traveler set for my collection....i would use it of course...

Last edited: Aug 6, 2018