the new newb

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by TitanTTB, Jun 14, 2010.

1. TitanTTB

TitanTTB Well-Known Member

Hello everyone!
    So I finally got tired of the overpriced mach 3 and decided to find a better way.
    Well I'm still in the research phase, I'm thinking about the EJ89 as my first razor. I have a few weeks before I'll get something.

I'm looking forward to learning about all this stuff :)

2. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
  3. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

Good luck in your search for gear. Theres more available now than when I started just a while back. Many reputable vendors offering low cost one stop shopping for every initial purchase. Don't be overwhelmed , get the stuff you think you'll like , you can hardly go wrong in choices.

4. Rene

Rene Well-Known Member

Welcome to The Shave Den :signs046

Enjoy your stay here :happy088

5. stampncarve

stampncarve New Member

Welcome. I am sure evryone will chime in and let you know their favorite.

I am also a newbie and bought the EJ87. Same razor with an ivory handle. I love the shave I am getting with this. It feels substantial in your hand and the weight of the razor is all you need to get a comfortable shave.

Paul

6. gman41

gman41 Member

Hello

Hello and welcome.

7. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Welcome to TSD!
    While I've mostly vintage razors, the EJ D8X razors are one of the few new razors I've seriously considered.

8. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Welcome to TSD! This is the best wet shave board on the planet!

9. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Welcome to The Shave Den, a great community of guys and gals that enjoy wet shaving, I hope you enjoy your stay!

Be sure to sign up for the June Newbie Give-Away for a chance to win some great shave gear!

Also be sure to check out the Greatest PIF Ever! from the incredibly generous Jason! (Baloosh) [​IMG]

10. DErminator

DErminator Member

Welcome aboard and enjoy!

11. TitanTTB

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

12. soapbuddy

soapbuddy Mistress of Lather

Welcome!

13. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Welcome to the Den.

Come often, stay long, share much. A great bunch of guys and gals here ready to share more than you would ever want to know about shaving, and so much more! Get ready for some fun!!!

14. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Welcome and what they all said...check-out the Shave School stickys and Mantics videos...Ton of stuff there, plan on doing an all-nighter...:))
    The EJ line is certainly a quality way to go..Also there is the vintage way to go, which personally has always attracted me..I still amazed at some of the deals I see on classic razors...Just last week on the marketplace on this forum I saw an early 60's Gillete Slim Adjustable (my personal favorite) go for right at $20...and always seeing classic super-speeds moving at great or slightly inflated prices and either way they are worth it....I still think it would be ultra-cool to have a birth year Super-Speed (that could end up being my favorite.:))...Good luck and have fun with it...

15. TitanTTB

Update!

I found a super speed locally. I'm not sure the year but its a flare tip so I think its way older than me.
    It was cheap so I figured it would be a good way to find out if de shaving is gonna work for me without dropping a bunch of cash first. I picked up some blades at walmart.

It looks like its in good shape but I need to sanitize it somehow. I'm thinking bleach will kill any flesh eating virus.
    Does the handle come off easily?

16. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Cool find. For the year and quarter it was made, check under the head and you'll most likely find a letter and a number. The letter is the year and the number is the quarter. Gillette, for some reason, started in 1951 with W. Figure from there using:
    W - 1951
    X - 1952
    Y - 1953
    Z - 1954
    A - 1955
    etc.

1 - 1st quarter, 2 - 2nd quarter, etc.

So H2 would be 1962, 2nd quarter.
    For more info on the SS, check this out.

As for taking the handle off, I've never done it with the TTOs (Twist To Open), I just soak in Scrubbing Bubbles, use a toothbrush, the wipe clean.
    Here's how some other folks do it.

Enjoy! And don't hesitate to keep the questions coming. :D

17. Salty Dog

Salty Dog Member

Welcome aboard Shipmate! ::mat I've not heard good things about bleach use and use 70% isopropyl alcohol myself... Anyway, it's good to have you as part of the crew!

18. TitanTTB

Thanks, its an A 1 then. I cleaned it with a soapy toothbrush. I left the handle on but there's some crap on the inside the tube. I think I can get it with a q-tip or a pipe cleaner.

So I'll soak it in isopropal alcohol for a bit, then have my first shave!