The Perfect Brush....

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by poppi, Sep 16, 2018.

1. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

Has anyone found what they consider the Perfect Brush for them??

I've been searching (and buying) various types for quite awhile and am still searching. I've come close especially with the recent purchase of a Maison Lambert silver tip. But still, not quite the Perfect Brush.

So, I'll keep looking (and buying) and hoping to find the best of the best.

2. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

RazoRock Plissoft. All other brushes are now in the bottom of a drawer (for the most part...unless I decide to use something else...oooh Shiny!) ;)

Screwtape and RyX like this.
  3. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I think Steve @Vlasta has made the perfect brush. The perfection of the 400, and the versatility of the interchangeable knots offers the best of all.
    Past the great handle, the silvertip knots he's had custom made for him are among the best I've used. Backbone, density, softness are all on point for me. Mine came with no stink, and had not lost a hair, and I've used it hard for the past months. Maybe not daily, but at least 3-5 days a week.
    I'd be very surprised to find a brush any closer to perfect than the Alpha T-400.
    With all the accolades from any who's used one(I have yet to see a lackluster review), it's still less than a hundy. What could be more perfect? 20180828_152001.jpg pictured are my two Alphas, they shine in my collection.

4. texasdawg

texasdawg Member

I've always been amazed at individuals who could have only one best. Like a favorite food or favorite drink. I have a few brushes and try not to buy two of the same style, but even then it's hard to get the same performance, I imagine, from two of the same size and style of badger. I am probably wrong, but don't know cause I've never bought two of the same. And I have discovered that some are better than others,,, I thought a badger is a badger is a badger,,, although I only buy Fords,,,
    The T400 I have now has opened a new world to me of interchangeable knots and I love the one it came with, but I foresee a boar in it at some time,,,

Screwtape and RyX like this.
  5. RyX

RyX DoH!

I'm with you on the interchangeability. One of my early brushes is an Omega Pro #10098 boar. It has a similar shape profile to the Rubberset 400 sometimes called "Barber's Brush". Gives a good grip and fits my large hands well. The first knot I installed in my B-400 was a Tuxedo synthetic. 2nd a Whipped Dog High Mountain badger. I completed the set with a donor knot from a new Omega 98 knot. It was the closest I could find to the look of an original vintage R-400 boar knot. Having the choice of three different knot types puts the brush in my hand more often than others depending on soap type. Badger = creams, Boar = hard soaps, and synth for just about any.

Screwtape and brit like this.
  6. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I am a fan of the Omega 98 knot. That said I think my favorite brush that is not hand made is a Semogue 1305. That thing rocks. Here it is from todays SOTD.
    [​IMG]

chevyguy, PanChango, RyX and 2 others like this.
  7. brit

brit in a box

i like all of my brushes.. my favorite handle is the rr -400, so far....

RyX likes this.
  8. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

My favorite type of knot is silver tip badger. My favorite supplier is www.Whippeddog.com. Pair it with my Wildwest Brushworks handle & you’ve got my favorite.
    B2B5CD10-D7C8-4E02-AE2E-00A9A447F81D.jpeg

Screwtape likes this.
  9. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

I like my Semogue SOC cherrywood boar.

10. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Since 2013, my favorite has been the Semogue BC Mistura. I picked up a couple of them and a boar version.

Haven't seen the need to get anything else.

RyX and BigMark83 like this.
  11. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

I still haven't found anything to top my Semogue 830.

brit likes this.
  12. Sevenbark

Sevenbark Well-Known Member

I have three, Omega boar forget the model, shavemac three band and a Paladin 2 band I bought used. Enjoy them all. Note: a synthetic will never be on my fav list although the are fun to use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

JR #262. Ebony/Birdseye Maple, with Silvertip knot.

[​IMG]

chevyguy, brit and jtspartan like this.
  14. Macktheknife

Macktheknife Active Member

I'm real fond of my Muhle STF and Semogue 610, but neither are perfect. But heck, I am not perfect, either.

Lancre likes this.