The perfect lather (for me)

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by CatMan, Jul 13, 2009.

1. CatMan

CatMan Member

After extensive experimentations I found the way to create the perfect lather (for me, YMMV of course). Time to share my findings:
    • I believe triple milled soaps a superior to glycerin based ones.
    • I grate all soaps and press them into glass containers.
    • I use big (28-29mm knot) silvertip brushes.
    • My only preparation is taking a shower. No pre-shave oil, hot towels, etc. necessary!
    • I load my brush thoroughly with any high quality triple milled soap, which takes about 45-60 seconds.
    • I take one hand full of very warm water into a smooth plastic bowl and start building my lather. (The amount of water may have to be adjusted according to the size of your brush!)
    • After about 60 seconds I get a great lather. (Most people would stop here, but you can take it easily to the next level. Trust me, it's a big difference!)
    • At this point I add a squirt of glycerin and one pump motion of Kiss my face shaving creme.
    • Now I swirl again for about 30 seconds.
    • Done. Shave and enjoy!
    This procedure results in a lather that is unbelievably dense, protective and slick. The very best I ever experienced! Gives me very close and very comfortable shaves every time.

2. TomPike

TomPike Active Member

That's pretty much my favorite type of lather too, Klaus. It's what I'd call Uberlather.

I don't use it every time I shave, and I vary which soap and which cream goes in the mix. Like you, my favorite is a nice triple milled soap and a great cream, but it even works well using inexpensive soaps and creams.

I'll try your recipe in the morning. Thanks!

3. 1969Fatboy

1969Fatboy New Member

I personally find it unnecessary to help my better soaps and creams. I do however add extra goodies to subpar soaps(C&E). I do bet that does produce and excellent lather though.

4. Teiste

Teiste New Member

I think the and do the same.Also I think that theres not much difference in performance with triple milled soap vs glycerin based soap.I get really good shaves from both of them.Thanks or sharing your routine with us!

5. Sherlock

Sherlock Member

You sound like you have great results. What is your favorite triple milled soap?

6. CatMan

CatMan Member

Tabac, SIR Irish Moos, Pre De Provence, Kent/MWF, DR Harris Arlington. Those are in my rotation. Which one is my favorite depends on my mood of the day. Every single one of them gives me the perfect lather.

There are some TGQ soaps that I like very much for their scent. Therefore I blend them in with less scented soaps like MWF or Pre De Provence, which gives me the best of both worlds. I grate both soaps for blending. Do not attempt to melt any triple milled soap!!!

Yes, I started out with the recipe for Ueberlather, but developed some changes that I found enhanced the lather even more.
    • Grating the soap
    • Adding glycerin and shaving cream after building a great (and perfectly usable) lather from soap alone.

Yes it works fine with glycerin based soaps too, but I found triple milled soaps to be more protective, with or without enhancement procedures.

Instead of Kiss my Face, I sometimes use Dr. Bronner's liquid soap Almond. Gives the lather more volume, but is a little less slick.