The Pro Glide (I'm secretly in Love)

Discussion in 'Cartridge Razors' started by newb, Mar 19, 2012.

1. newb

newb Resident Newb

Boy's, I'm a straight user, I'm a S/E user, I'm a Vintage D/e user, a Rolls user, a Shavette user, a Merkur Futur and Vision user, a Rotbart user. If you can shave with it , I use it. Most of us got into d/e because of the high cost of blades and had some crazy thought that we would save tons of money. How's that working out for you ? Not that well for me ........ Well a month ago I revisited the Pro-Glide. Over priced blades, sub par shave.. ? Well the techniques I've developed since I started using d/e have allowed the pro-glide to deliver a superior shave for me , often better than than the D/E and more consistent. I'm not saying I would ever use a Pro Glide exclusively, but I do believe that it deserves a place in the rotation. Right next to my Wade and Butcher wedges. It's all about shaving,, right? To me the Pro Glide combined with proper technique is a superior razor and worthy of the top spot in any well stocked Shave Den. See shaving is shaving, tools are tools. The pro glide even though an over priced tool can yield a a quality BBS shave, and to me BBS is priceless.....So can a Pro Glide exist in the traditional wet shaver's arsenal ? I think it can,,, as to me it's all about the shave......

PLANofMAN and Neolithium like this.
  2. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

I agree that modern carts can deliver a knock out shave but, with continual daily use a lot of people like me get razor bumps and irritation using them.

JRod22 and GDCarrington like this.
  3. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

Absolutely nothing wrong with it. If it makes your bladder gladder, be happy. And you're right...it IS about the shave.:eatdrink047:

4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Hey, it's your shave. Enjoy it your way.

5. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Newb I honestly think you've said a lot here.. when you say that it's your technique that really has made a difference. Maybe after I get through my latest round of DE testing, which is gratefully gonna take a while, I'll have another go at the Atra which used to give me so many problems...

6. thevez2

thevez2 uses Gillette's new Tarantula Razor - 8 blades!!

After writing Gillette, telling them I preferred fewer blades, and inquired about the availability of Gillette DE blades in the US, they sent me a coupon for a free Gillette Sensor. Not one to turn down anythign free, I picked one up. I took it with me the next time I went on a trip, and had some of the worst shaves of my life. Despite having awesome prep, a good soap, and good technique, the thing tore my neck up. Irritation and redness after the first shave. I regularly use a Trac II and Atra, and they shave fine. But more blades for me, is not a good thing.

GDCarrington likes this.
  7. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I used a fusion a couple months ago on a whim. I didn't much care for the sensation of the shave, but there was no arguing the end results.

I won't be switching back anytime soon, but they do work.

8. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

If it works for you I think that is great.

For myself their is world of a difference using a DE Razor, versus a multiblade cartridge. The quality of the shave a DE gives is far superior, to any shave I had using a cartridge.
    I have no plans ever to shave with a multiblade cartridge razor. For me it is the wrong tool. Personally my face thanks me every day, looking great, healthy.

9. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I've never failed to get BBS using my wife's ProGlide, the few times I've used it. Newb's right, though - technique is #1, whatever the razor.

10. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

:signs011:

I ain't going back but :signs011:

11. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

You got me started on using ProGlides again. They will give you a BBS shave everytime. I never got irritation or bumps with using the ProGlide in the past. I did nick myself around the mouth and get a nice scar on my adam's apple and a 5 blade cut impression on my cheek. (That was embarrassing.)

I have gotten irritated with DE and SE from going over and over an area and some bumps on my chin from doing the same. In almost 3 months of shaving with DE and SE razors, I finally have a decent but not perfect technique and found I use the ProGlide even better now. I can do a WTG and ATG and be done with it. I think the better shave creams and soaps and pre-shave help as well.

I will still keep using the DE's and SE's when I shave, but now am finishing each shave with the ProGlide to get BBS.

12. Xezmer

Xezmer Active Member

You'll come back around when you run out of the carts :D

13. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

My trouble is I want to shave with everything and at every shave. I use 4 razors most shaves, DE's and SE's mixed. I have trouble just picking one for a shave. With the Proglide I used to shave in the morning and if I was going out at night I would shave again. You can't do that with DE's and SE's, unless you're doing one pass.

You're right, I have one used cartridge and one new. I'll be back to doing without the Proglide, pretty soon.

14. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Too true, even with the mildest DE. I've seen guys say they can and more power to them, I wish I had their leathery hide to withstand it. 2x per day with a ProGlide? No problem. Credit where it's due, I always say.

15. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Speaking of that, I was a DG buying 2 blade carts (they've gone up to $1.50, I see) when I noticed (a) the ProGlide carts were sold out and (b) DG has their own five and even a SIX blade cart. I doubt the 5 blader would fit the PG handle but I'm tempted to try it just to see how it is...anyone know? Or willing to admit to knowing? :D

16. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Shaving twice a day with a Proglide..:eek: Indeed..your hide must be thicker than you think. Personally I find it difficult to shave more than once a day even with a two blade cart...

17. newb

newb Resident Newb

Nothing wrong with multiple razor shaves. Many times I routinely use 3 razors for a shave. I start aggressive for the first pass WTG, medium aggression for the XTG pass and very mild for ATG and blade buffing. It works very well for me. Though with the Pro-Glide I do 1 WTG and 1 ATG and have no need for buffing. (I do the same with a slant, and most GEM razors)

Slipperyjoe likes this.
  18. mondoj

mondoj Well-Known Member

I used my Fusion today and I agree with the OP got a beautiful BBS shave with two passes and touch up. The cool thing is how long it lasted. I'm not going back either but will probably add my old carts back into rotation.

On a slightly different subject, does anyone know if the Mach3 disposable razor heads will fit a Mach3 handle? I purchased some sensor3's today to use on my Sensor handle and they fit.

19. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

If I remember correctly the whole Mach3 lineup had the same connectors to handles, so they should work just fine. I remember using old M3 carts with random new handles without issues.

20. mondoj

mondoj Well-Known Member

Will give it a try