The rabbit hole.

Discussion in 'Soapmaking & Lotions' started by bald as, Apr 22, 2015.

1. bald as

bald as Well-Known Member

From the entrance you can see just enough, you can hear just enough so naturally just a step or two inside the rabbit hole won't hurt :)

This is about soap making. I don't like perfumed shaving soap so decided a plain soap would be fine.

All that follows is due to the encouragement of @maltedmilk :) He shared with me ideas and links he had and I started watching some 'tube videos by Kevin Devine [?] where he experimented with Stearic acid percentages and Hydroxide ratios.

I mentioned to my wife I needed a smaller crockpot just in case I decided to make some soap and that afternoon my wife presented me with the start of my mini soap factory and the journey began.
    I make my own developers for photography so have accurate scales and both Sodium and Potassium Hydroxide.

I found SoapCalc on line and that has proven invaluable.
    My first effort was soap, the process worked, but it wasn't shaving soap as I didn't have any Stearic acid.
    My second effort with Tallow, Stearic acid, Coconut oil and Castor oil has turned out great. Excellent lather that just lasts forever.
    I was really pleased how simple the process really was. Just remember safety procedures and you will have an amazingly satisfying time. I will try to resist the urge to "improve" this version for at least a couple of months so I can determine what needs tweaking.

I didn't use any Bentonite clay and wonder what other soap makers think.

I can still see the entrance to the rabbit hole from where I'm standing but it does look interesting just down there around the corner.

Steve

Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
  2. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Holy cow, Batman, an artisan soap with long lasting lather! Will you eventually be producing this soap for sale?

3. bald as

No plans for selling my soap. Also I'm not in the teeniest bit interested in faffing around trying to make a soap with pretty smells that perhaps I like but the rest of the world thinks smells "odd". I think that would diminish the potential market quite some. Although a plain soap has major advantages in that you can have your own collection of essential oils that you are not sensitive to and add a drop to the scuttle as you make the lather. One soap and as many essential oils that you like that don't cause you irritation. For instance I get on ok with Clove oil and a minute drop as I'm making the lather is great. Same with Peppermint oil. There are probably more that I can look at as time passes.

I had fun making my batch and have enough for [5x85gm pucks] that should last close to a year. The great thing with home brew soap is a lack of monetary guilt if you make too much lather on the day.

maltedmilk likes this.
  4. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

I enjoy using products I have made myself as well. I'm generally just making unscented for myself. One of my hippie friends has me make a batch of patchouli about twice a year for her. I need to get in the jitchen and make some more, I'm down to a dozen bars.

5. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

This thread kicked me over the edge. I just mail ordered some stearic acid for a shave soap. Yay homemade Arko.

6. bald as

I'm glad you have been kicked over the edge :) I'm still trying to resist the urge to modify things but just in case resistance is futile I think I will also order some more Stearic etc. The thing I like about making your own soap is knowing exactly what has gone into its construction. If anyone is interested post the shaving soap recipes that you have made. I'm happy to post mine if it would be any use to someone else.

txskimo likes this.