the razor that "started it all"

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by D.irving79, Oct 1, 2009.

1. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

some of you may remember me talking about the 1912 gem deluxe: the only true open comb 1912. there are several versions with various changes to the head design, handle, etc. i was lucky enough to obtain the FIRST model; the last of what i consider gems last elegant/ornate/etc. razors. a sturdy, excellent shaver that i was able to get for a rock bottom price. observe:

razor in case, consisting of a blade bank (which i stocked with pellas), razor and several slots for blades. the inner lid is in true gem fashion circa their earliest razors with velvet lining and the standard ribbon reading GEM DELUXE.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the blade bank.

[​IMG]

a rear shot of the razor itself. lengthwise it is about an inch longer than the second model gem deluxe.

[​IMG]

the back of the razor head. note the different stamp; an exact match to the font of the ribbon in the case.

[​IMG]

the razor with the head open. the retention spring on this razor puts a crocodiles jaw to shame. notice the blade bed; nice and flat.

[​IMG]

the bottom of the razor head. NO PATENT DATE.

[​IMG]

razor handle with the screw out stropping attachment in place. the handle is hollow, but its the most solid hollow handle ive ever come across.

[​IMG]

so there you have it. if you SE fans come across one of these and dont grab it youre beyond insane :D

2. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Wow. Absolutely awesome.

3. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

I will keep a look out for one of those. Like finding the other models isn't hard enough. :happy088

4. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

i now want to track down all versions of the deluxe. i now know of 4 different versions.

5. wkodgzeke

wkodgzeke New Member

Nice find!

6. Rene

Rene Well-Known Member

WOW......... That's a nice one :happy096

7. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Congratulations to the proud new owner, very nice Dave! :happy096

8. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I got the model in the purple case.. or are there more then one model that came in that case Dave..oh and :whacky084 On that beautiful set.
    Fuzzy

9. tom myers

tom myers Member

Beautiful set, Dave. That case lining is especially nice. I must get my hands on one of those 1912 deluxe razors. I'm pretty sure that I need to have a shave with one. :rolleyes:

Regards,
    Tom

10. Teiste

Teiste New Member

Thanks for showing it Dave!

11. Poacher13

Poacher13 New Member

WOW That is one awesome razor!!

12. RocketMan

RocketMan Active Member

Very nice catch Dave!!! Thanx for sharing.

13. Wildtim

Wildtim New Member

incredible find

14. Zach

Zach New Member

I like that turtle a lot.

15. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

he guards the garlic.