the Real Shaving Company

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by AnarchoPhil, Jun 9, 2010.

1. AnarchoPhil

AnarchoPhil Member

Anyone tried this shave cream and after shave balm?

I've been on the hunt for local Pinaud products (no luck so far) and I stopped by a Rite Aid and picked up some of this stuff. I'm on a haitus from shaving until this weekend but I whipped up a lather pretty quickly using the $9 Shea Moisture Shave brush. It spread real nice on my arm too. I'm ready to try this stuff now but it will have to wait.

Also, I'm looking for that old Old Spice if anyone knows where that can be found. That stuff at Wally World marked "classic" ain't it.

2. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

I haven't tried it myself, but it's made by the same maker who makes Trumper's, TOBS, and T&H creams. It also has very good reviews, typically being compared to the English creams mentioned.

3. AnarchoPhil

AnarchoPhil Member

thanks Erik, I didn't look at anything online before I purchased it. I saw it on the shelf and they had a shave "lotion" right beside it. I figured the cream had to be different and a opened the tube and it looked like a real shave cream and that's why I bought it. The ASB smelled like my wife might like it.

Stuff looks promising.

4. geneaut

geneaut Member

If you are after the 'classic' Old Spice scent you have 3 options. Forget buying the Procter and Gamble reformulation they sell now under the Old Spice name. It doesn't have the same scent.

1. Order it from Shulton in India who still make it to the original formula.

2. Find a Fred's, Family Dollar, or CVS and look at their generic Old Spice clone. They will have different names depending on the store you are in but they will be in an off white plastic bottle. Check the bottom and you should see a 'Vi-Jon' logo. If it has that then you have a very good replica of the original Old Spice before the reformulation of the 'real stuff'. BTW, the generic is usually about $2 a bottle except at CVS which wants about $5 for theirs :) Vi-Jon makes a variety of 'clone' scents for grocery stores, dollar stores, regional chains, etc and they do a darn fine job on most of their scents.

3. Find the old stuff on eBay or something similar.

Lots of us go for option #2.

5. dashmaverick

dashmaverick Member

The shave cream is definitely top-notch! Lathers very easily and produces a thick, cushiony lather. For the price and availability it can't be beat. It ranks up there with creams costing 5x more.

6. AnarchoPhil

AnarchoPhil Member

Appreciate the info. I've seen the generic sitting right there but never checked them out. If I wanted to order from Shulton, is there a website?

7. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I love this cream. If they made a mentholated version it would be my favorite.

8. dashmaverick

dashmaverick Member

According to their website they do have a menthol version, but sadly only available in the UK.

9. Salty Dog

Salty Dog Member

I am solidly in the same boat with battle.munky and dashmaverick regarding the RSC creams! They are actually the first creams I bought (based on a review from TSD), when I started my transition from canned goo :sick007 to the real (no pun intended) stuff. I've tried both the 'sensitive' and 'moisturizing' versions and love them both. In fact when paired with VDH deluxe, produces real 'slickery' super-lather:happy108.

The AS is another story though... It seems to leave my face a little irritated and itchy:( - but as always YMMV.

10. Mr. Igg

Mr. Igg New Member

The cream is top notch. At it's price point, it's nearly unbeatable.

The ASB is very good, too. Lately I've been noticing it seems to be a better cooler-weather balm for me. (My face dries out easily, and even in warmer weather, I need at least a light balm.)

Still, two thumbs very much up on this great product!

11. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

And the nearest Rite Aid is 87 miles away.... :mad:

12. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

I've tried it, its a very slick cream, surprising to me . Smell is earthy and of tea tree oil. Wouldn't judge firmly after one use but it certainly seems as good as its reputation. I was at the ATM and slipped into a Rite-aid across the street and finally purchased the cream , been meaning to get it . This cream and the VDH Deluxe soap also sold at RA would be a good 1, 2 punch for a newbie just starting, and out of pocket would be only $7 .

13. geneaut

geneaut Member

I have one 2 miles away, but I never can find the RSC stuff there :(

14. geneaut

geneaut Member

Shoebox Shave has the Shultons on their website. I've seen it time to time on other shaving sites around. I'm not aware of a direct link to the Indian manufacturer.

15. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

For the Shulton Old Spice, theres Desistores.com , the India based retailer, they have a good rep among a few forum goers. You can even buy the Old Spice Talc from them. There number one shaving best seller is the Godrej round that should tell you a lot of guys on the forums are buying from them.

16. dashmaverick

dashmaverick Member

PM me your address and I'll mail you a tube... but you must promise to participate in the next Williams Wednesday. :D

17. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Very generous of you Anthony!

I'll even promise to participate in the next 2 Williams Wednesday, so a PM will be sent shortly.

18. battle.munky

Beat me to it! Not the Williams though :signs113 j/k:happy102 I like Williams, just can't seem to get it to lather for nothing.

19. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

:think002 Really?? I have you seen this video by Justin?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqucNXP7c8Y

20. battle.munky

I tried his technique. I've tried too much water, not enough water, real brushes, syntehtic brush, even no brush. It might be my water, but since my water does every other soap well, I ruled it out.

I want it to work so bad, it just won't for me.