The Red Imp

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Single Wedge, Jan 29, 2009.

1. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

I am purchasing my first vintage str8.

A Case Red Imp.

Is this a good one to start with?

2. hoglahoo

hoglahoo Yesterday's News

It looks like the edge has a slight frown to it, so as long as you have the tools or know someone who can straighten it out and put a shaving edge on it, that looks like it could be a great razor and at a good price

3. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

All of her razors look like a frown. Must be the way they are photographed. However the hone wear indicates it must be a frown. The Imps are usually good razors.

4. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

Frown Good or bad?

I have not real tools to speak of.

How would you remove that?

5. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Frowns are always bad. ;)

Even with straight razors. Smile = ok/good, frown = bad.

I had a Red Imp, great razor! Johan has her now.

6. hoglahoo

It's generally harder to sharpen a frowning edge than a straight or smiling edge since only the toe and the heel will be making contact on the hone. You should be able to make short work of it though on a low grit hone (1000k?) or even wet/dry paper to straighten it up.

7. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

I have a 1k. A couple of passes and off we go then?

8. hoglahoo

I think you'll be fine with a 1k. Might take at least a few dozen gently persuasive passes as some steel removal is involved

9. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

Then here is another question on the same topic.

I have a wedge that has an "Elvis", one lip upturned.

It is about 1/16 to 3/64 inch off the straight. Can I get that back or is it lost?

10. hoglahoo

Something like this?

[​IMG]

As long as you can get it to make contact on the hone it will sharpen, though it might take some practice and effort. Many blades were manufactured this way on purpose, and can be honed up just fine.

11. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

Its a little more pronounced because it is a wedge but yeah something like that.

12. hoglahoo

Let's see a photo :D

13. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

I am at work screwin' around. I'll take pic tonight and post tonight. :D

14. AlanII

AlanII New Member

Sorry for the hijack, Single Wedge, but what is the idea behind that? A smiler I can see (ie reasons and maintainability) but, an Elvis. Why and how? Honest question.

15. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

I am not a str8 expert, but my guess would be poor honing. Too much pressure and "wiping" the edge over the stone to one side.

A proper hone would leave a good str8 edge.

Helps to have a wide stone to avoid to X factor. A wide stone or strop allows for an even slide to and fro.

16. AlanII

AlanII New Member

It's the, "Many blades were manufactured this way on purpose, and can be honed up just fine", that I'm wondering about. Kind of excludes honing. Also, is it just the picture? The rounded point I get, but the downwards curl towards the heel, I don't.

17. hoglahoo

I don't know what the idea behind it was. Maybe it was a manufacturing consideration, they are more common in the very old wedges it seems like.

Practically it can allow its user to have a rounded spike point that is good for detail work but is not so prone to gouging one's face. :shocked003

And there are so many that look that way because of overhoning at the toe, whether by design or poor technique

Here's one I believe to be made this way:

[​IMG]

18. AlanII

AlanII New Member

Thanks, hoglahoo.