The Rolls Experiment days 1 and 2

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Single Wedge, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

I purchased a Rolls No.2 on you know where. It came with two blades, intact strop and stone, and handle.

It sat on my shelf for a while mocking me until I decided to run it over the hone 100 times and the strop another 30. The results well here we go.

Day one was a disaster. I used the older blade and even with all that honing and stropping still really dull. Switched over to a different razor.

Day one, take two. I changed the blade for the newer blade and rehoned and stropped several more times. It was a rough shave but a good first go. No nicks, but a lot of burn.

Day two. Using the same blade I stropped the blade and went to work. Better today that yesterday. I stropped the blade on the second of my four passes. Seemed to keen the edge a little more. Less burn, nice and smooth.

I will have to send the other blade out for rehoning, but the other seems to be able to keep the edge well. I will shave with the Rolls for the rest of this week and next to see where it takes me. I am going to oil the strop too as it is worn and old but useable.

2. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

send it out?? bollocks. do it yourself. youll feel quite accomplished if you do ;)

sometimes sharpening those blades can take up to 500-600 runs on the hone before theyre shaveable. but when they are, its heavenly :D