The Scottish Razor Company

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Derhey, Feb 28, 2015.

1. Derhey

Derhey Well-Known Member

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

There is a lot of info on here about the GD. Most of it is not good. Look around and see what $65 will buy

3. Derhey

Derhey Well-Known Member

I think you misunderstood my question. I realize the Gold Dollar as a whole is not highly regaurded. From what I have read, the scales are the worst part of their razors. This company takes a new razor and completely rescales and even reshapes the steel. That being said, I was wondering if doing so completely changes the razor and if the steel (after such a treatment) holds an edge. Did you happen to look at the link I included? The guys does some amazing work to transform (visually) a cheap razor. I am just wondering how it rides.

4. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Customizing it does NOTHING good to the edge holding capabilities, that is a fact, not a guess or a hypothesis..
    The only change that is possible from customizing, polishing, and buffing a razor is is you get a NEWB doing it they can destroy the razor either by thinning the metal too much or burning the temper...

ps: These GD and DA transformations have been going on for years, it isn't new it isn't ground breaking.. it is a $2 razor being prettied up..

There are many more issue with these razors besides the scales alone, they do however shave, you will never hear me say they won't shave, but they have issues

45auto and GDCarrington like this.
  5. Derhey

Derhey Well-Known Member

Thank you...this was the feedback I was looking for. I did not know if the steel was bad or if a good manipulation would cause the edge to hold. I appreciate your response.

gssixgun likes this.