The Search For The Perfect Brush

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Sodapopjones, Dec 11, 2011.

1. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

I will go ahead and spoil the story for you, it doesn't exist. One of the downfalls of our hobby is not having access to the majority of the products we wish to procure and thus the buying process begins...

I have worked with quite a few members here in the hopes they find said brush, and in the end most of them buy something entirely different and want more; don't we all?

The perfect brush is like the perfect women, you can try and keep searching till you find that perfect one but you probably won't; its best to love and accept what they're or aren't.

I have seen people buy a brush every week, and turn around and sell said brush the next day in hopes to continue funding their brush voyage for perfection.

My journey for perfection is over, there is no perfect brush for me, my buying habits are to fund something new and unique each time regardless if I buy from the same manufacture or not.

I know there are people who will disagree and say they have indeed found that perfect brush for them, which is great; I'm willing to bet you want another.

So for those of you out there researching the dickens out of brushes, don't strain too hard, in the end they all do the same thing; lather.

[​IMG]

Shaver X, fishcrow, rodd and 7 others like this.
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Well done, Aaron. Well done.

alpla444 and Sodapopjones like this.
  3. Sodapopjones

Thanks Steve :cool:

4. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Very true, and agood read thanks Aaron.

Sodapopjones likes this.
  5. Johnny

Johnny Little Boy Blue

Well stated as well I should know. Are those crystal brushes your next quest?

Sodapopjones likes this.
  6. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Nice Aaron. It reminds me of....

[​IMG]

Now, the world don't move to the beat of just one drum,
    What might be right for you, may not be right for some.
    A man is born, he's a man of means.
    Then along come two, they got nothing but their jeans.

But they got, Diff'rent Strokes.
    It takes, Diff'rent Strokes.
    It takes, Diff'rent Strokes to move the world.

Everybody's got a special kind of story
    Everybody finds a way to shine,
    It don't matter that you got not alot
    So what,
    They'll have theirs, and you'll have yours, and I'll have mine.
    And together we'll be fine....

Because it takes, Diff'rent Strokes to move the world.
    Yes it does.
    It takes, Diff'rent Strokes to move the world.

battle.munky, Sodapopjones and Johnny like this.
  7. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

I still want one of the vintage Waterford crystal brushes just so I can drop it on my tile bathroom floor and watch it shatter into a million pieces while I scream "NOOOoooooooo!" in slow motion. :happy102:

Sodapopjones likes this.
  8. Sodapopjones

I'm thinking about buying myself one as an outrageous Christmas present actually, considering their price they're no bargain at all; however they're specced to Plisson Size 18.

9. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

Who manufactures thos crystal brushes and how much do they cost?

10. Sodapopjones

They're Omega's with Swarovski crystal handles 26mm x 64mm knot; with Gary's sales the gold one is $240ish and the silver is $225

11. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

Well they look nice but that's insanely priced.

12. Sodapopjones

Indeed they're, still fraction of the cost of a HMW Plisson Size 18 though.

13. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

They kind of look like salt shakers to me.

14. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

26mm knot/ 64mm loft. Hmmm, I'd pass, YMMV.

15. Sodapopjones

You wouldn't like my Plisson or Omega's, not every brush is perfect; but I like the unique lathering characteristics ;)

16. Vince

Vince New Member

My first brush, a pure badger, came with a twin-blade set. Then I started reading the forums. The C&E Best was interesting, so I bought one. Then I came across a Muhle silvertip, bought it, and eventually sold the C&E. I don't remember why I ordered my Vulfix 2233, but it replaced the Muhle. I was happy with the 2233 for over a year, then decided to try my old twin-blade set again. The brush blew my 2233 out of the water. Back to the beginning -- which is kind of nice.

DLreno and Sodapopjones like this.
  17. MikekiM

MikekiM Well-Known Member

Nice work Aaron..

I haven't been buying brushes long, but still I have lost count of how many have passed through my hands. I am not looking for the one perfect brush in hopes that my eyes, or heart will never want another, it's not about perfection for me. I thrive on change and love the courtship and marriage process. I look for something that seems unique, to me.. The fun is seeing how each brush responds to the soaps and creams and each does so in it's own way. I have also grown fond of the break-in process that accompanies the boar brushes. Lastly, I have my eyes focused on those brushes that hone the "statement" that my collection makes.. Each item in there.. brushes, razors and other items, right down to the stropping cork, have a story of some kind; A story I enjoy sharing with friends and family.

So, I doubt I'll stop adding stuff but I am becoming more discerning. That said, a Plisson HMW in any size will likely never be in my collection!! Who needs one of those when one has a vintage PenWorks Silvertip... with a story behind it..?

Cheers!

Sodapopjones likes this.
  18. Sodapopjones

Indeed Mike, the PenWorks is the reason I am here as it was the brush that defied what the majority of people said it wasn't; a good brush, which we all know isn't true.

The Swarovski crystal handled brush has meaning for me as its the hopes of ending an era and starting a new in a way many don't dare; unfortunately Amanda is no longer with me, she succumb to issues that can never be resolved and I wish her well.

19. The Soph Gent

The Soph Gent Member

Good report Aaron. I am fairly new to this venture and have a measly 5 brushes in my collection. But I find myself becoming a collector like a pen or knife collector would.

Sodapopjones likes this.
  20. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Here's my suggestion for the search for the perfect brush: just raid Aaron's stash.