The Search For The Perfect Brush

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Sodapopjones, Dec 11, 2011.

1. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I was thinking there was some perfection there too Jody.

Dibs on the M&F blonde!

Sodapopjones and IAmTheJody like this.
  2. Vince

Vince New Member

I'm happy with the shaving set brush I mentioned above (although it sheds profusely and needs a new knot), but am still curious to check out Thater, Rooney, an Omega boar, and a Vie-Long horsehair. If boar and horsehair work for me, I'll probably get one of each. I envision a Thater two-band silvertip, my shaving set brush with TGN finest, either an Omega or Semogue boar, and a Vie-Long horsehair. On the other hand, I just started reading up on reknotting and like the idea of installing my own boar and horsehair knot into antique handles. Either way, I'll probably branch out into having a favorite for each category.

Sodapopjones likes this.
  3. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

Hah, I need a vault for my stuff now!!

4. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

You have a Rooney Finest I can adopt?

5. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

You will be easily caught if you are indecisive! :p

6. mincemo

mincemo Member

Today is day three of my new adventure into DE shaving. Since I'm a newbie I did not splurge on an expensive brush. I bought a Tweezerman brush on Amazon for $11.43. I can see how this hobby/addiction could get away from you. I'm already dreaming of the next purchase. I do wonder in a blind test if someone could tell the difference among an expensive brush and a cheap-o.

GDCarrington likes this.
  7. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Don't be fooled. It is dollar for dollar one of the best brushes out there. I used one for many months and it has only been replaced by the Frank and TGN/Burma Synthetics in my rotation. I use this on occasion when I need a change up.

8. Sodapopjones

I opted for the blue velvet box and the chrome trimmed Swarovski brush; looking forward to its arrival!

rodd and alpla444 like this.
  9. MikekiM

MikekiM Well-Known Member

Welcome! On behalf of the brotherhood, I wish you well and warn you of the doom about to fall upon you savings account!!

Yes, even in a blind test the real cheap, poorly made brushes stand out from the high buck options. Won't be long before you can tell them apart as well. As you reach the upper limits things get dicey for the less initiated but for the more experienced the better brushes can still be picked from a line-up.

Aaron, I used the pink monster this week. I still love it! And you know that it would be fine to send me a monthly email with what ever you are fixin to unload! Chances are good I will take one!

Now, I'll keep the positive thoughts out there for you as I watch the crystal drop in Time Square on 01/01/2012.. May it usher in all good for you. That brush is beautiful and seeing how it's origin is the same as the New Years ball, I pray all the joy that permeates Time Square finds it's way to you!!

Johnny and Sodapopjones like this.
  10. Sodapopjones

I have been meaning to unload some of my brush cache, but never get around to it; I will have to keep you in mind.

Mike, I appreciate the well wishes and I too hope you and your family have a great new year, may 2012 bring us all the best!

11. mincemo

mincemo Member

Not sure my bank account can take another expense like this. I already have home brewing and coffee roasting. Soon my wife is gonna think she is entitled to an expensive hobby too! LOL.

rodd likes this.
  12. SharpSpine

SharpSpine Well-Known Member

Just gently remind her that her expensive hobby is you...

...and then run, don't walk, for the hills!

13. mincemo

mincemo Member

Yeah, I'll give that one a try!

14. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

...You know...I've got a bonus in a few months...I just might have to take a gander at some LE brush for purely "scientific" reasons!;) But then again, the brushes mark tweeted about this morning look mighty fine too. Like you said Aaron, there is no perfect brush...just new experiences!
    Simfix.jpg

15. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

Aaron, I hope it works out for you. My approach is slightly different than yours, I'm trying to make the perfect brush. In 2 band finest, I think I'm there (close enough, anyway). Now I'm going to try Silvertips in grade A. I'll turn a couple of handles while I wait for the knot to arrive.

Sodapopjones likes this.
  16. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

I look forward to it's arrival as well! Beautiful brush, Aaron. It's nice to treat yourself to something really special every once in a while - especially when things are looking a little down. May it serve you well. I can't wait to hear how it performs and to see the pics.

Sodapopjones likes this.
  17. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

yeup

18. Sodapopjones

Thanks guys!

Luke, the Manchurian Simfix's look good indeed; something tells me though they're going to cost more than the Swarovski....

19. Sodapopjones

Just a quick peak... The brush is nearly perfect, however like most Omega brushes I own for whatever reason the logo is never perfectly done and unless I told you, you would never have spotted it.

I'm really glad I ordered the brush from Gary though, I'm sure he does this for everyone that ordered a brush during the holidays, but the brush box was wrapped neatly in tissue paper; a nice personal touch.

It was nice, unwrapping the box, and opening the cardboard brush box to reveal the marvelous blue velvet box inside, which held the crystal brush. I ran my fingers over the blue velvet and peered inside only to find this.

IMGP0606.JPG

I really want to wait till Christmas, but its so gorgeous I'm having a hard time resisting the temptation to lather it up...

20. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Thats one fine looking brush, and that passage you wrote belongs in a mills & boon book:happy102: (errr showing my age there I think:signs002:) If there is a bling award this year I think that may win it

Sodapopjones likes this.