The Stahly razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Darkbulb, Jul 24, 2015.

1. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

The Stahly
    The somewhat renewed (can it be renewed if there barely was one before?) interest in Stahly razors that started maybe 3-4 years ago is really interesting.
    The razor isn't always bought to be shaved with as as it was designed - on a chubby, heavy vibrating handle - (too easy to make a joke about that, don't even try) - but what people are often after is the Stahly razor head. It's rumored to be of a most excellent design providing a clean, effortless shave. I haven't tried mine yet but am looking forward to doing so - both w/ the original handle as well as on a less....vibratoresque handle.

So, seeing that I had never owned a Stahly I decided to get one.

Nowadays you are likely to spend anything from $20 to $70 depending on the looks, mechanics and accessories such as box and instructions.

I ended up getting one for $35 which, granted, I did feel was a little bit on the high end as the box is a bit shoddy - BUT when I got the razor I must admit I was happy with the purchase as it is absolutely pristine. The motor works well and the head - maybe the most important part - doesn't have a scratch and came shiny and almost 'glowing' (sure, maybe the setting California sun had something to do with that).

I won't go into any history, patents, dates or company information as I feel I sometimes gets too sucked up into that and goes on a tad too long about that (that, and I doubt there are more than a handful of geeks such as myself that really care about what city the manufacturer worked out of when the black model came out and/or how schematics for the motor inside it looks like, etc) - so I'll spare you that :)

What I do want to show, as people that don't have one or have seen one in person, is how the winding mechanism on the body works and how it sounds :)

Queue video:

Video link for tapatalk users:

Couple of photos of my purty Stahly:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
  2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Great! Nice video.

Looking forward to your review next year.

hippiebrian and Darkbulb like this.
  3. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

Ah yes... The razor that prompted many a man to stand at the bathroom door and say..Honey, are you in there again? This is the third time today you've shaved your legs.

4. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

And just like the husband it's only good for about two minutes :)

5. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

Looks a cross between a razor & a sex toy....:sport001:

Billy

stanko and Darkbulb like this.
  6. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

:happy096:Great score!! The razor and box look to be in really nice condition. Like you my interest always gets peaked when someone posts Stahly pics. Like many I'm more interested in the head than handle, so I just can't find one at the right price yet. Let us know how it shaves both with the original handle and a different one, like say a Gillette "FAT" handle tech, EJ89 or Weber SS Bulldog.:)

hippiebrian and Darkbulb like this.
  7. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Nice score. Try it, you'll like it!

My wife brought one home for me for $15 (yes, it was for me, thank you very much). I found the shave very comfortable and very close. I did find the fat handle a bit awkward and I'm not sure the vibrating made much difference. But, the head fits regular handles with a fairly thin top for the most part. It has to be thin because of a bar on the underside of the head.

Looking forward to what you think.

Stahly 1.JPG

Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
  8. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Very nice score! I like how you incorporate your videos into your reviews. Excellent job! :happy088::happy088::happy088::happy088::happy088:

Darkbulb likes this.
  9. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Great score and review. Thanks for taking the time to post and upload the video.

Darkbulb likes this.
  10. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

No worries - I needed to justify buying that $3 tripod for my phone :)

Herm2502, hippiebrian and clint64 like this.
  11. hippiebrian

hippiebrian Well-Known Member

I love the looks of those things, nice and robust like yours truly. My question is, why vibrate? I would think that would up the oops factor. Maybe it's a his and HERS thing? I mean really, the savings in batteries alone...

Billyfergie likes this.
  12. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I remember the 'bloodbath' in this video....

Billyfergie likes this.
  13. hippiebrian

hippiebrian Well-Known Member

Wow, like a cheese grater!

Billyfergie and Darkbulb like this.
  14. Herm2502

If you wind it up and set it on the counter, it "dances"!

15. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Lol, I actually did that yesterday and yes, it does :)

And yours was a steal at $15 - it looks great

16. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

Apparently Stahly was also heavily invested in the styptic, bandage, and toilet paper market.:shocked003:

17. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

"If there is no demand - create it"

cmorris357 likes this.
  18. Herm2502

Wow, think he was nervous making the video and that's why all the bloodshed? I had no trouble with this razor being aggressive. The head of the Stahly is very, very mild. The awkwardness of the handle is tough to get past, but it's wasn't a bad shave at all.

GDCarrington and Darkbulb like this.
  19. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I'm actually so curios about this razor I'm moving it up be tried out already this coming week - will try it with the original handle (vibrating) and with another handle :)

Herm2502 likes this.
  20. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Right, get the head off the motorized gadget and the head is very efficient!

[​IMG]