The Straight Razor Acquisition Thread

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Aug 3, 2017.

1. CastleShave

CastleShave Well-Known Member

Sooo just got these ones in from restoration and took some shots[​IMG]6/8 medium hollow ground
    [​IMG] 6/8 wedge similar to a for barbers use
    [​IMG][​IMG]7/8 made for the Army
    [​IMG]7/8 Celebrated hollow ground

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paul76, Billyfergie, mrchick and 7 others like this.
  2. tootall1121a

tootall1121a Member

hi guys, what can you tell me about a George Worstenholm and sons celebrated XL razor? Sorry can't post a picture here for some reason, and can't give you the ebay listing either, so I'll just have to ask and if you know anything about them, please contact me. So far, my limited research says it was made just prior to the civil war, but that could be wrong. oh there it goes, got to know what to click I guess. Not in the best of shape, but still solid and could be made shave ready I assume. george worstenholm Celebrated razor  - 1.jpg

Paul76, Billyfergie, Dansco and 6 others like this.
  3. Shojo510

Shojo510 Well-Known Member

Tracked down an Eiko finally. Just needs a little cleanup and honing. I love the scales, green with brown and amber highlights.

[​IMG]

Can't wait to get this baby shaving!

Cheers, John

4. tootall1121a

tootall1121a Member

What are the particulars on this razor? Japanese?

Billyfergie likes this.
  5. Shojo510

Shojo510 Well-Known Member

I believe this is the Japanese Eiko "Glory" 1/4 or 1/2 hollow Symmetrical western grind, square point...I could be mistaken as I am very fresh to the SR

There is a some info and pictures in the following recent thread

https://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/eiko-glory-info-needed.59589/

There is also a Japanese Razor thread as well.

Cheers, John

6. tootall1121a

tootall1121a Member

you know more than I do. I run across straight razors from time to time, if they are priced right, I buy them... never knowing if I'm getting something good or what. Of course, I also buy double edged from as far back as the 20's. A friend sent me a device that not only re-hones single and double edge blades, it even flips it over to hone both sides. This one is chrome and heavy, but seems to me I remember one from when I was a kid that was lighter, and you pulled a string back and forth to operate it. In those days, even a fresh blade wasn't all that great, some guys would home them before the first use. what can any of you tell me about stropping the blade of a straight razor, I can hone them very sharp with a steel imprgnated with diamond dust, but that's not the finished smooth edge that makes for a good shave. Although I've owned quite a few straight razors, I've never actually shaved with one. Nowadays, I don't bother to shave at all, and when I did, I wasn't really interested in straight razors. my interest stems from a keen interest in blades of all types.

7. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Many Japanese Straight Razors on this thread.

https://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/japanese-straight-razor-thread.52548/

8. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

It's 1/4 hollow, same blade as the King Pelican 14 as far as I can tell, but the tang is shaped differently. Tapered tang on the Eiko, a standard straight tang on the KP 14.

Cheers, Steve

9. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Not as pretty it as cool as the vintage blades you guys have been getting in.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my Galaxy using Tapatalk

Keithmax, mrchick, M14Shooter and 7 others like this.
  10. DaltonGang

Nice Chinese Razor. I own one, and the ZY are fine shaving razors. Chinese steel is pretty good, in my books. :happy088:

11. DaltonGang

This came in yesterday, a $10 find. It's rough, but there is plenty of steel to work with. It will definitely be a "Rat Razor".

George Wostenholm & Sons. Plenty of Character.

P6250311.JPG

P6250312.JPG

12. M14Shooter

M14Shooter Well-Known Member

F.W. Soderen Frameback
    Was lucky finding this piece.I rarely come across pieces made by this Swedish maker .
    sod.jpg

Keithmax, Paul76, Billyfergie and 7 others like this.
  13. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Got this one a little while back...
    Atkinson Bros Bear In Mind travel razor out of Sheffield - the antithesis of a chopper.
    I think it is a cool design of a brass frameback:
    DA388533-6A0C-45A7-B267-4B19F49CB540.jpeg
    Pictures with the box (not sure if they are together but there are not many razors that would fit in this box) makes it look like a normal size razor
    DD4D09EB-DB8D-4793-8B9A-7A78FBA37648.jpeg
    But this is definitely not the case for this little sweetie. Here is it in comparison to a razor a lot of us know...
    A3FBB54B-D228-4766-ACDF-C3F42E06EF0F.jpeg
    The stropping is crazy and luckily it came honed :). I have yet to try using it but I think today is the day!
    Tom

14. Heljestrand23

Heljestrand23 Well-Known Member

How unique, nice acquisition!

15. joamo

joamo Well-Known Member

I found a little 3/8 razor distributed by George Wagner & Co, St. Joseph MO. The bone scales appear under a loupe to have hand painted text.
    I found the razor above it quite awhile ago, also a George Wagner that had been rescaled.
    [​IMG]
    Both are stamped with Faith and a woman before the Cross. The 3/8 has part of that stamping ground away. Below is a close up of the stamping on the 5/8.
    [​IMG]

Keithmax, Paul76, Billyfergie and 9 others like this.
  16. TestDepth

Thank you. I haven’t seen too many of these.

Billyfergie likes this.
  17. Brickman301

Brickman301 Well-Known Member

Picked these up earlier today at an antique shop. I really like the blade marked G F C. From the little bit I’ve looked, I’m guessing it was made by the G F Creutzburg company in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. I love the rattlesnake etched on the blade. Can’t wait to clean it up, and rescale it. [​IMG][​IMG]

Keithmax, Paul76, Billyfergie and 7 others like this.
  18. joamo

joamo Well-Known Member

19. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Since I decided to learn how to use a straight, I figured I needed 2 razors with edges finished by reputable sources. Here is plan B. I chose to test it today even though it is not Sunday.
    20180707_134129-1.jpg

20. TestDepth

Beautiful!

Billyfergie and Edison Carter like this.