The Straight Razor Acquisition Thread

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Aug 3, 2017.

1. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

It looks like a maneuverable little fella, with the exception of the " eye poker outer" :)

Billyfergie likes this.
  2. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

[​IMG]
    Honed this TIMOR Blue Steel Solingen 6/8th I Got to Turn Over Tonight on a Naniwa Super Stone Progression..Finished on My Escher Thuri with Water then Tallow Lather for the Final Strokes..Lovely Bluing on this Razor..It was Factory Fresh & Never Been Honed..The Factory Grinding is Excellent..;)

Billy..:chores016:

George X, Keithmax, AGHisBBS and 4 others like this.
  3. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

[​IMG]
    Got this to Turn Over.. A Near Mint NOS Factory Solingen Full Hollow 6/8th Made for the French Market..Honed on a Naniwa Super Stone Progression & Pre Finished on 16 K Lapping Film & Finished on My Escher Thuri..;)

Billy..:chores016:

George X, AGHisBBS, Drygulch and 4 others like this.
  4. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I can hardly believe that I have another disorder, SRAD. I received this nice Henry Taylor 5/8 last week. I have already sent it off the the honemeister.
    IMG_5158.JPG

George X, AGHisBBS, Drygulch and 4 others like this.
  5. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Nice razor. Is it going to be refurbished too??

Billyfergie and Jayaruh like this.
  6. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

New artisan razor in the house, Joe Edson symmetrical kamisori

ID - 2.jpg ID - 1.jpg

7. DaltonGang

Billyfergie and Keithmax like this.
  8. Keithmax

That is what attracted me too it.... plus it was in stock and caught me in a weak moment.

Billyfergie, Spyder and mrchick like this.
  9. DaltonGang

I've been seeing your collection, for a while. You have a lot of weak moments, that leads to a lot of nice looking and unique razors.

10. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I guess we shall have to wait and see how much he does. I will be happy just to get a great edge on it.

11. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Billyfergie, Keithmax and Spyder like this.
  12. Keithmax

Usually when it's a full moon.

13. DaltonGang

Just arrived. I haven't seen these around here too much, except a couple of Big Wedge versions. I rolled the dice, and bought this one, with poor photos, and all. The horn scales look fantastic for its age, and without a crack, or bug bites. The blade has a very slight frown, but that's easy to correct. So, $5.50 spent, and off to the workshop I go, when I have time. :(.

Joseph Rogers & Sons. ?? Norfolk Street, Sheffield.
    P9211192.JPG

Jayaruh, HolyRollah, Keithmax and 5 others like this.
  14. Heljestrand23

Heljestrand23 Well-Known Member

Picked up this old guy from the FB Marketplace for an amazing price. After more than a month of waiting, it was worth the time and risk.
    W. Greaves & Sons 13/16-6/8 Full Wedge. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jayaruh, AGHisBBS, George X and 6 others like this.
  15. DaltonGang

Very nice. That one should get @HolyRollah 's attention.

Billyfergie and Heljestrand23 like this.
  16. Heljestrand23

Thank you, I'm thinking about having a pro make new honey horn scales(the scales are translucent) because it has a crack all the way across on the wedge and is missing a piece at the pivot. Though, some epoxy could fix the crack and I could save the 200 year old scales for posterity. I am still a novice at honing and more so at honing wedges, so I'll have to send it out.

AGHisBBS, mrchick, DaltonGang and 3 others like this.
  17. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I'm all for keeping the original scales if at all possible, particularly on an old beauty such as that Greaves! :love055:
    Cracks along the wedge end are rarely an issue with the use of the razor. Usually they are only cosmetic. I've a number of old usable razors with cracked wedge ends. Epoxy can usually firm up any potential weak points. The missing piece at the pivot end, however, may compromise the integrity and safety of using the razor. No pics so I'm only guessing at the severity. When pieces are missing from the scales on the pivot end—especially if impacting the pivot hole, usually this situation requires a new set of scales.

18. Heljestrand23

The missing piece at the pivot doesn't affect the pivot itself. [​IMG]
    I'll show you the wedge end this afternoon when I get home. The crack is not in the wedge pin, but after the pin on the wedge.

19. DaltonGang

I would keep the scales, and round out both ends to match, with a Dremel. I've done this before.

20. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

This should be here sometime next week. My first Wade & Butcher...

[​IMG]

Jayaruh, AGHisBBS, Drygulch and 5 others like this.