The Toggle Thread (TTT)

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Sparrow, Jan 16, 2017.

1. LOOT

LOOT Well-Known Member

Congrats on the acquisition. The big question is....are you going to use it or is it a safe queen?

Fluffyskiador likes this.
  2. spot705

spot705 Active Member

I am using it. Shaves very well. But I am so used to TTO that I try to turn the toggle.

Fluffyskiador and RyX like this.
  3. LOOT

LOOT Well-Known Member

Right on! I like to seem them get worked.

I never tried to twist the toggle...but because of it, I was forced to choke up on the handle which soon turned into driving by the head. Choking up definitely yields better shaves in my den.

Fluffyskiador likes this.
  4. LOOT

LOOT Well-Known Member

PS. Photos please.

Fluffyskiador and RyX like this.
  5. spot705

spot705 Active Member

Bad phone, bad lighting but here you go.

Attached Files:

Demidog, LOOT, Fluffyskiador and 2 others like this.
  6. Luteplayers

Luteplayers Well-Known Member

That looks fantastic. I need to find a nice condition case for mine.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

RyX and LOOT like this.
  7. LOOT

LOOT Well-Known Member

Box prices are ridiculous. Then again, so are the razors.

Luteplayers and RyX like this.
  8. LOOT

LOOT Well-Known Member

CAP disassembled my Chrome Toggle today, his first. Said it took him 4 hours! I'm not real good at math but at $50 fee, he is not in it for the money.

The video will be up on YouTube soon.

1st step of 3 is complete! Now, off to RazorPlate for new skins.

RyX and mrchick like this.
  9. RyX

RyX DoH!

As I understand Toggle history, they were experimental. Is your chrome finished unit different mechanically?
    I've done a partial disassemble on a Fat Boy, so seeing Capt Murphy's video will be enlightening.

LOOT likes this.
  10. LOOT

LOOT Well-Known Member

The video should be live now. I've not seen it.

This was from CAPs email to me...

On a separate note, I have successfully disassembled the chrome toggle, my first ever.

This disassembly wasn't bad at all and the majority of it went like the regular toggle disassembly I usually perform.

I recorded a video on the whole process but I am no expert film maker! I am currently uploading it on the tube and it should be done tomorrow sometime. I shot it in 1080p @ 30 frames per second so it's a large file. Rather than compressing it and sacrificing quality, I just set it to upload and basically left it uploading while I work.

The biggest difference with this model was the head assembly. It was similar in function but the design approach was completely different. This would have been the design to stick with, however.

Once the video is finished, I will send you gentlemen the link so you can check it out. It's a longer video that I made quite a few cuts to. It took me about four hours total but I was able to cut it down to about a half hour on camera.

Overall, the razor didn't look bad at all on the insides. I was really expecting it to be worse but it's all healthy for the most part. The worst condition note is some light plating damage with some etching on the inner part of the safety bars but this will be fairly covered up after it's reassembled.

Keithmax and RyX like this.
  11. RyX

RyX DoH!

Three points of good news! Looking forward to the video.

LOOT likes this.
  12. LOOT

LOOT Well-Known Member

Disassembly video.

RyX likes this.
  13. LOOT

LOOT Well-Known Member

Indeed. I'm excited. I was fearing the worst on the underside of the head. It was caked solid with years of goop. Someone set it and forgot it... Then didn't rinse it out very well.

All in all, another great find for me. One that I'll use too. I need to start culling the ones I'll never use. RAD is terrible tho. Fun. Expensive.

Speaking of, I acquired an unused D1... With the box and slip cover. It should be here by the end of the week.

I've got an F4 that I need to unload. 2 pits in it, the same one I posted photos of...if anyone is interested. PM me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

RyX likes this.
  14. LOOT

LOOT Well-Known Member

I just took receipt of a brand spanking new '58 D1 Toggle with a perfect box, Original blades still wrapped and the outer cardboard slip cover.

It's weird stepping back nearly 60 years and handling a piece that could have just rolled off the line. It's amazing there are any in existence.

I'm a lucky boy.

15. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

[​IMG]

RyX likes this.
  16. LOOT

LOOT Well-Known Member

While I can not be 100% certain, I believe this is NOS. I don't believe it's been handled much either. It came with a Registration Card...but no instructions. I can imagine a grey haired grandpa in 1958 getting this D1 as a Father's Day gift. He opened it, took the instructions out, and closed it up. He thought about using the razor for several months, instead pulling out the instructions and going over them in detail. The old man never did use that razor...and he never put the instructions back. Sentimental meaning of the razor and it's value kept it from being used. Then when he died, the son who hated him sold all the stuff he really liked. Win for me. <----That's how I like to ponder it anyway.

Seriously...the cardboard shell is kinda frail. The folds are strained. I don't like messing with it but the case is perfect. I took a few photos, wrapped it back up and put it on a shelf. I love it. My son will sell it before I'm cold :)

Attached Files:

Demidog, RyX and spot705 like this.
  17. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Nice find. Are you going to try it out?

RyX likes this.
  18. RyX

RyX DoH!

Thank you @LOOT for sharing the video. Congrats on owning not just a rare Toggle, but a near unique chrome unit. Looking forward to the post replate reassembly photos.
    That Cased NOS D1 isn't too shabby either. ;)

LOOT likes this.
  19. LOOT

LOOT Well-Known Member

I don't think I could ever use it. You can't put the "new" back on it.

I've got a replated one coming that will see plenty of use. Chrome one too. Those will be for driving.

The NOS on will go with its NOS Executive and Aristocrat cousins. I'm sure I'll sell all 3 at some point. Until then I'll just look at them.

20. LOOT

LOOT Well-Known Member

I'm kind of anxious to see the finished product too. Maybe CAP will do a side by side video of both all finished and clean.

mrchick and RyX like this.