The Traditionalist Cocktail

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by 1OldGI, Nov 12, 2009.

1. 1OldGI

1OldGI New Member

I'm enjoying a couple of these this evening, the perfect thing for the cool Fall weather (Boatdrinks or G and T's just don't feel right when it's gray and cold outside) so here goes, and be advised, like most things I dig, this cocktail just screams Grumpy Old Man (but I'm only 47)

1. Take a small glass, fill it with ice
    2. Pour about "3 fingers" (very scientific) of Jim Beam Kentucky Bourbon over the ice.
    3. Top glass off with water and add a bit of lemon juice. Stir and enjoy!

The water and lemon juice seems to take what little bite there is to Jim Beam away. Very nice for cooler weather and highly recommended for ansomniac's. It'll make you quite warm, very relaxed and just happy :D

2. Malacoda

Malacoda Active Member

Ugghhh.... *shiver down spin*

I agree - whiskey feels a bit more warming and appropriate during cool fall weather. Unfortunately, me and Mr. Beam just don't get along - we had a bit of disagreement on the day my unit packed up camp and left the desert on our return home from Desert Storm...

Friend of mine had a pint bottle stashed to celebrate when our final day in the sandbox came. Took just two sips of it on the ride from our desert camp location back to our departure point near the airfield we were flying out of. Just two sips - yet, combined with the 109 degree heat is was enough to trigger the headache from hell and, within 15 minutes, make the sweat seeping out of my pours smell like the week old bar rag from backalley NJ bar. Just the scent of it is still enough to send a chill down my spine...

So, since it still gives me a kick in the nuts without even touching my lips, when it comes to JB, I'll have to live vicariously through your enjoyment and stick to Scotch for the cold, chilly days.

Knock one back for me 1OldGI.

Oh, and BTW - +1 on the G&T for those hot summer days. Rock on!

3. Idgie

Idgie New Member

Pass one this way. This nor'easter is killing me!!!

4. MN_Nick

MN_Nick Member

Uncle Jim is definitely my bourbon of choice. He also makes a fine rye, if that's your thing. Winter months I'm big on whiskeys and brandies.

Replace the ice with heat, add honey and you're well on your way into hot toddy territory.

G & T's are great in the summer, or anytime really, but I was introduced to something almost better, the amazing tequila and tonic. Now that is a summer cocktail.

5. Adeptus_Minor

Adeptus_Minor Active Member

I'm with you, man.
    I overdid the Beam once back in college and it hasn't worked for me since.
    I too have found that I have a palate for good scotch now, and I can also handle rye whiskey. (I have some Russell's Reserve in the cabinet)

6. 1OldGI

1OldGI New Member

My achilles heel is Black Jack Daniels. Being a southerner I could be shot for this but many years back I had a very unfortunate "incident" with JD and haven't been able to tolerate the smell of it since. Jimmy Beam, George Dickel, and Wild Turkey have been my bourbon's of choice since. All things considered though, Mr. Beam will get the nod more times than not.

7. Rene

Rene Well-Known Member

I am Scotch and Irish man myself, with a preference for the Single Malts, but I'm sure I must try the bourbon as well soon :D

8. Dexterous

Dexterous Member

I spent last evening watching a movie on TV with my wife and sipping Eagle Rare Single Barrel Kentucky Straight Bourbon from Buffalo Trace Distillery. I, too, am a Scotch man but I find the small batch bourbons to be well worth drinking.

9. sturgeon

sturgeon Member

Dex,

Rare eagle is one of the best boubons I have ever had. It is quite amazing! On the rocks it is very smooth, but neat it takes on a smoky, scotch-like attitude. Definitely worth a sip. I still talk about it to the person who gave it to me for Christmas last year!

Tim

10. Razorpete

Razorpete New Member

Maker's Mark is a nice bourbon, its small batch and makes a great old fashioned.

11. southernscribbler

southernscribbler Well-Known Member

I have had my share of Beam, more than my share of Jack and never enough of My favorite Southern Comfort.

12. Destro85

Destro85 New Member

My favorite simple cocktail is the good old Gin and Tonic with a healthy squeeze of lime. I really enjoy a Manhattan as well, but I have found that something about whiskey puts me in a very bad way until 6pm the next day, even if I only have a couple of drinks. Then again, I'm a yank so that probably explains it.