The traveling Lord L6 aka LP1822L review

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Dridecker, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

It all started in the with the two comments below..

You see in the "I'm a newbie, which razor should I get thread", I state that I chose the razors that I did because of their tried and true reputations, when it struck me that in this post, I listed the Lord L6 purely on my own great experience with it. :o

I took the liberty of including the Lord L6 after I purchased one from Amazon's website, and have had some great shaves with this $11.00 razor.

No sir, it ain't right for me to do that, I'm only one man! So this is what I decided to do.

I ordered up a new L6 and enlisted the help of some fellow Den members to give me the tried and true feedback that I need to include it on the list. My plan is to let it travel around to at least 6 members of various skill levels, ask them to try it for a week, then mail it onto the next member on the list.

After I get their feedback, which I ask them to post in here, and if we feel it is worthy of recommending the L6 to other members, I'll have the last member send it to one of the future Newbie Give-Away winners.

First on the list was Steve (swarden43), and as his week with it is drawing to a close, I told him I would post this thread to get the ball rolling.

If you've had a chance to shave with an L6, feel free to add in your own thoughts to the discussion.

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

First, I want to thank Bill for the opportunity to partake in this field test. It has been both an honor and a pleasure.

The physical aspects:
    The head is pretty darn near identical to the Merkur HD. The finish is not as polished or as smooth; there is a lump or two along the non-shaving edge, so it doesn't interfere in any way with the shave.

The handle is long, thin, and light. It makes this razor very head heavy, which I see as a plus. It's a reminder to allow the weight of the razor head to do the work with NO PRESSURE added. The balance point was further down the handle, normally where the end of a standard would be, but the extra length serves it's purpose here by giving some extra grip room. The knurling on the handle was functional, as well. No slipping experienced at all.

The first time I took it apart and put it back together I had a little concern - the threading was a bit rough, not a smooth twist back together. As most know I take my blade out after every shave and hand strop it, so this meant, of course, taking the razor apart every day. After the second or third day the threads smoothed out and now it feels right. I can see, though, that if one is not careful and was to cross thread it, being an aluminum handle it could easily get mucked up.

As for the shaves:
    I used a blade that seems to work for me no matter what razor I put it in - the Astra SP. If you follow along in the SOS thread you'll know that this has been a week of stellar shaves. All very comfortable, all very smooth, all irritation free.

I've enjoyed this razor and would recommend it to anyone, new and experienced alike.

I'll be getting this razor in the mail tomorrow for our next tester. I'm looking forward to his reviews!

3. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Bill, I back you up with that decision to post the L6. I have promoted it in a few threads in the past. It is a great razor for the cost. Yeah, the handle is a bit light, but I just throw a different handle on it and it is a great shave.

Yeah, an aluminum handle can get mucked up on the threads. Again, get the razor, set the handle aside, and put a fatty tech, ball end tech, new bar, or a custom made handle on it. I found it sings with the iKon extended tech handle.

4. jcwit

jcwit Member

On the thread that I made a review I mentioned how I drilled out the alu. handle and inserted a brass rod to add weight and change the balance to where I liked the razor even better.

I'm now waiting for a 5mm x .80 tap so as to put in a brass bushing thats threaded to make better threads in the handle.

I realize these are not modifications most folks can do as I have metal working machinery available.

5. Mechguy

Mechguy Well-Known Member

Is this the Lord Tech? or some other razor?

jeraldgordon likes this.
  6. jcwit

jcwit Member

Its the one with a head like a Merkur, not a Gillette Tech head.

7. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

It is also the same head that is on the Lord Smart. The only difference is the Lord Smart has a plastic handle and has been out for at least 2 years.

8. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I was happy to be included in Bill's Traveling Trials of this razor. This makes a great razor for a new shaver, or someone wanting a low cost travel razor or even a daily shaver.

Upon first inspection, the head resembles the Merkur 23C also known as the 180 and for me the shave was about the same if my memory serves me correctly. The shave was fine, about in the middle of mild and aggressive once I got the proper angle dialed in.

The overall build quality is good. There are two things I would change though. First, I would make the handle a bit heftier. Not by much, but enough to notice.

Secondly, I found that the threads in the cap were a shade too fat which caused the blades (Voskhod and Super-Max) to "stick." I had to fiddle with the blade to put it on and take it off.

I will buy it!

9. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I really wish I would have linked my review to this thread.

Ok, short synopsis in its stead:

L6. Buy it. Good starter razor. Very lightweight handle which is the only thing I didn't really like about the razor. There is some slop on the manufacturing of the head even though it works as well as the Merkur HD it is modeled after. It is a cheap knock-off of the Merkur HD head with a cheap handle but it works very well. Since there is no real cost to the razor, the "cheapness" doesn't really matter. So I think it is a good purchase.

Good shave, low cost, but cheap.

10. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

Hah, the razor finally showed up today, the first time I ever had a mishap with the USPS....

I'm supposed to go look at an apartment today, hopefully I have time to shave.

11. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

Well I've had my time with the razor, and I will just start off and say, BUY IT if you want to start out with a 3 piece razor.

For $11.95 its really not worth complaining about, the Parker handle off the 91R fits perfect, and somehow I actually got the best shaves using a Yellow 7 O'Clock, and I hate those blades lol.

sotd91011.JPG

battle.munky, Billr, Mechguy and 2 others like this.
  12. Billr

Billr Mix Master Mighty White!

The Traveling Lord showed up in yesterdays mail and I am excited to give it a go this week. I have a few Lord blades so I will start out with one of those and then move on to an Astra SP, like Steve, this is my go to test blade whenever I get a new razor.

My first impressions are similar to the guys that have had this razor before me. The handle is light and I am concerned about the threads. This will be my first time using a non-vintage razor s0 we will see how it goes.

battle.munky and Sodapopjones like this.
  13. Billr

Billr Mix Master Mighty White!

Well my time with the Traveling Lord is up. I am ready to send it on to the next tester.

I will say that I enjoyed each shave I had with this razor. I first used a Lord platinum blade and the first 2 shaves were very good but the third one was just OK. The next blade I loaded was the Astra green label and it was, as expected, a great blade for me.

I liked everything about the razor except the light handle but I learned that if I grasped it toward the end it let the weight of the head do more work. Once I made this adjustment to my technique everything was great.

Thanks to Bill for letting me use this razor and be a part of the testing. If the next person would send me a PM I will be happy to send it off.

battle.munky and Sodapopjones like this.
  14. battle.munky

I think you've been vindicated my friend :happy088:

Dridecker likes this.
  15. Nick A

Nick A Active Member

I personally, love the razor. I tried using a superspeed for about three shaves. It shaved fine, but there was something about the head geometry I didn't like.

16. Alebrewer

Alebrewer Active Member

I too, love my new Lord L6 - though I haven't tried any other DE razors to compare it to. I've been using it for the past two weeks and its worked fabulously, I nicked myself a couple of times during the first week, but its been smooth sailing since. I'm using the BlueBird blades that it came with, and have no complaints with them, either. Yesterday, I received my order from West Coast Shaving in which I received a new brush, some shaving creams, and some assorted blades - so tomorrow I'll try the L6 with a new type of blade for me, a Super-Max Stainless. For my first DE razor, I doubt if I could have made a better choice - especially when you factor in the cost. :)

17. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Thanks Bob! :)

I'm undecided as to what to do next with this razor, Billr was my original end of the trail with this razor but it has been so well received, I'm seriously considering just keeping it out on the road for a while.

battle.munky likes this.
  18. battle.munky

It's not my razor but that's what I would do Bill. It's a nice thing to have going around and lets people try stuff they maybe wouldn't ordinarily order. Let it go on indefinitely. As long as there is someone to pass it onto then do it and when there isn't, then its time to come home.

swarden43 and Dridecker like this.
  19. newb

newb Resident Newb

It would be nice gesture to keep it going. I'd like to get in on this but with all the positive feedback, I ordered one to try. Just got it today! My morning shave wasn't as close as I'd like so I think I'm in the mood for a second shave. So L6 it is. Man, I dig shaving. I hope this razor doesn't stink. My first impressions are that It seems well made, long handle and it's has adequate heft but on the lite side. My face does dislike heavy razors, so this one may be just right, weight and balance wise. So it will be an evening test drive.

battle.munky likes this.
  20. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Sounds good to me.