The Veg appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Darkbulb, Jan 3, 2015.

1. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

It is potentially the most bashed aftershave out there. It seems very polarizing - you either love it or...as seems more commonly, hate it.

I am even starting to wonder if there is some correlation between people who love/hate Arko..and how they feel about The Veg.

Launched in 1880 it must obviously be doing something right as it's still readily available even today.

Many people know its famous origins in that Pinaud served as the perfumer for the court of Napoleon III where he created his first aftershave - Lilac Vegetal - for the Hungarian calvalry.
    Fewer people may know that this after shave can claim to have inspired poetry such as Wallace Stevens' when he writes, in Harmonium in 1923;

"To what good, in the alleys of the lilacs,
    O caliper, do you scratch your buttocks
    And tell the divine ingenue, your companion,
    That this bloom is the bloom of soap
    And this fragrance the fragrance of vegetal?"

Robert Wilson later writes, about this poem;
    ""I would like to posit the theory that the source of these terms and associations stem from Stevens’ getting a haircut. I can recall as a child seeing an astringent called “Lilac Vegetal” on barbers’ shelves.
    The unusual name of the label always stuck with me, but I never came across the term vegetal again until I read Stevens’ poem.
    Could he have recalled this label in writing a poem invoking the fragrance of lilacs? Could the “bloom of soap” be a figurative transformation of shaving lather? A most intriguing mystery."

Me - I am a strong proponent of this fine offering. It does have a sort of 'odd' scent in the bottle but once applied it morphs into a very robust, 'greenhouse-like'-scent. Not sweet nor complex it knows what it is and you're the kind of man that is brave enough to raise up and appreciate it.

I've sported it myself in a number of my SOTD photos;
    [​IMG]

..and always proudly so :)

Now, I'm even considering picking up an older vintage.
    Offerings like these are rather common;
    $13 will get you this antique glass bottle with still some original Veg in it
    [​IMG]

So, let's hear it for The Veg!

2. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

:signs097: I'm a proud owner of 2 bottles..

Omelmad and Darkbulb like this.
  3. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

A great post. I don't despise the Veg, I just don't want it on me. I am a proud PIFer of one bottle.

4. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

It is interesting that just like The Veg is rather controversial - so is Wallace Stevens ;-)

[​IMG]

Steinbeckian and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  5. Steinbeckian

Steinbeckian Active Member

And I really hoped to be the first person to take a shot at Wallace Stevens in this post. Stevens also wrote:

Kiss, cats: for the deer and the dachshund
    Are one.

While I have no experience with the Veg, I have all-too-much with Mr. Stevens. Perhaps the only redeeming quality I can attribute to the man is that he once broke his hand punching Hemingway in the jaw. If the Veg can afford a man that kind of gumption, maybe it can't be all bad, eh?

BigMike and Darkbulb like this.
  6. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

In 1860, mustard gas was first synthesized—just 20 years prior to the launch of Veg. Coincidence? I think not.
    Someone at Pinaud probably thought to do a spin off from the sulphur mustard product, albeit slightly dilute, and package it as an aftershave.

I believe the terms you're looking for are 'malodorous organic discharge.' :sick007:

:D:D:D:D

7. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

8. dbersh

dbersh Well-Known Member

All hail the one and only VEG!!
    image.jpg

9. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

To really appreciate the Veg one must apply liberally. Here is an instructional video:

DentonMajik and Greg F. like this.
  10. LaSalle82

LaSalle82 Well-Known Member

I use and love many of the Pinaud scents such as Clubman, VIBR & Citrus Musk EdC as they are all are great aftershaves for me. I also use and enjoy several of the classic drugstore AS's such as Old Spice and Aqua Velva. I can honestly say that I've never had the desire to even try the Veg. Maybe someday.......................

Paul Turner and Darkbulb like this.
  11. FatherofSquirrel

FatherofSquirrel A right jolly old elf

:signs011:

Darkbulb likes this.
  12. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I agree that Arko and The Veg work well together.

Darkbulb and Kilgore Trout like this.
  13. LaSalle82

LaSalle82 Well-Known Member

I do enjoy Arko and find it has simply a clean scent. Despite its ridiculously low price, it's also one fantastic shave soap! Maybe someday on the Veg will come sooner than I think..............

Darkbulb likes this.
  14. s2mason

s2mason New Member

+1

Darkbulb likes this.
  15. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

I'm a big fan of the Veg It's a great scent for the spring and summer, I think. Not so much a fan of Arko, which smells like fruity Pez to me.

Darkbulb likes this.
  16. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Z3 AND Veg brothers!

Kilgore Trout and Mr. Shaverman like this.
  17. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

LOL

18. s2mason

s2mason New Member

Sounds like just another reason to love Arko

trey06dmd and dbersh like this.
  19. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I LOVE Arko, use it every shave now. I also use the Veg though not as often. I heard that after John Wayne died a bottle of "The Veg" was found in his things. If it was good enough for the "Duke" it's good enough for me..:happy088:

PLANofMAN, Bird Lives and LaSalle82 like this.
  20. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Are you certain it wasn't a 'cause-effect' type of situation there with the Duke & the Veg? ;)

178-bplatoon and Erik Redd like this.