THE VEG

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by necrotic, Sep 21, 2015.

1. necrotic

necrotic Active Member

I've been itching to try the Veg ever since I first heard about it. Could never find it locally. Got an amazon gift card for my birthday and the first thing I ordered was a bottle of the famed fluid. Just arrived today.

I cracked the bottle open and took a whiff from the bottle. My first impression was a very fresh floral scent. Rather pleasant actually. I was out working in the garage and splashed a good bit on. Wow that first hit on the skin is very much like the urinal puck smell! Amazing (and a little revolting) how close it is to that smell. That strong note quickly dimmed and then went away. Next was that nice floral scent again that stayed strong for another 10 minutes or so. Then it dies down to a complex and subtle fragrance that I can't quite label. It's vegetable/floral but not sweet. Definitely not feminine to my nose. It gets better the longer I wear it. I like it :)

I head into the house. My daughter (7 yrs old) walks into the room. "Mmm what smells good?" She says. My sister walks in. She thinks it smells exactly like those old solid perfume glaces hidden under a flip ring lid like this: http://m.ebay.com/itm/191692277077...53200-19255-0&rvr_id=899429584180&_mwBanner=1. "Smells like Grandma"

Then, the real test. SWMBO comes by and takes a whiff. "I don't know" she says "reminds me of the nursing home." My wife also didn't like Clubman at first but it has grown on her. We'll see if the Veg does the same.

So, have I been chosen?

Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
  2. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Here in Texas, we call it "culled".

3. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

Yes you have, welcome to the flying fish Lilac Vegetal society!

[​IMG]

And don't listen to the naysayers, haters gonna hate.

burnout961 likes this.
  4. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

5. opsimath

opsimath Well-Known Member

I like the Veg, but my wife doesn't. Actually, there are a lot of scents that fall into that category. Lilac vegetal smells like . . . well, lilacs. True, it has a range of aromas (I've heard this referred to as "notes") and the "top note" can be overpowering with many types of scent. With the Lilac Vegetal I find it smoothes down to the main floral note pretty quickly.

Another of the Pinaud offerings is called SPECIAL RESERVE and that is a very strange and wonderful aroma right there.

[​IMG]

It's got more notes than most aftershaves -- more like a small orchestra! Also, the top note smells nothing like what the final or "dry-down" phase is like. It's not for everyone, but it is my favorite of their pleasantly odd selection of aftershaves.

John Beeman likes this.
  6. Erik Redd

Like I said, haters gonna hate.

Drygulch and Darkbulb like this.
  7. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

It's jealousy for not being chosen...

8. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

I luv The Veg and the Special Reserve. Also, it seems like I have seen far too many posts on the various shaving forums where The Veg and Arko soap have a "urinal smell". These these folks must have been in men's rooms I have never encountered. If I thought it smelled like a urinal I, personally, would not use it. However, both The Veg and Arko have their own unique scent - no urinals for me. Just one-of-a-kind products.

9. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

Here in Georgia we call it cursed.

Drygulch likes this.
  10. Erik Redd

It's true, but in all fairness lilacs and herring scent must clash a bit.

entropy1049 and richgem like this.
  11. richgem

Or a functioning sense of smell. Either one.

MarshalArtist, PLANofMAN and Drygulch like this.
  12. richgem

They smell like fishy flowers. Oh.. wait... that's the Veg.

Drygulch likes this.
  13. richgem

[​IMG]

Drygulch and Erik Redd like this.
  14. necrotic

necrotic Active Member

I'm going to wear it to work tomorrow and see if I get any comments. Now 3ish hours later and it still smells great :) I understand the "fresh cut grass" description though it's not exactly grassy smelling to me. Depending how it goes tomorrow this might be my new everyday splash...

Mr. Shaverman likes this.
  15. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Yeah it smells great on men.

Erik Redd likes this.
  16. Erik Redd

[​IMG]

richgem likes this.
  17. Erik Redd

Well, to each his own I guess.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  18. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

I'd say you were chosen! Don't listen to the haters. They've got no game.

dscaver, Bama Samurai and Darkbulb like this.
  19. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

:signs011:

Darkbulb and Mr. Shaverman like this.
  20. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    It's fun being a bit controversial. Enjoy the Veg...and march to the beat of your own drummer.:signs107: