The Vib'Raz Razors

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by jmudrick, Jul 28, 2021.

1. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

The Vib'Raz was a razor and blade line produced by the French UNIS firm. It was produced in at least three different configurations, an open comb, presumably the earliest, and both short and long screw closed comb versions. The baseplate for the closed comb version was common to a number of razors produced by UNIS (eg Figaro and UNIS branded travel razors) from the mid to late 30's to the post war period. The cap, which is the star of the Vib'Raz show, has two rollers which engage the skin while shaving. The head has negative exposure and requires pressure to engage the rollers and maintain adequate contact between the blade edge and skin. Once you accept you can apply more pressure than you're used to doing with a double edge razor, the shave is superb, mild but extremely effective. I am reminded of the OneBlade razors in that regard. Like most razors of its time it can be adjusted for a more aggressive shave by loosening the handle (a quarter turn according to instructions).

I will be the first to admit I have no idea what the rollers are doing to contribute to the shave. According to the Google Translated instructions "the vibration generated by the rollers produces a back and forth movement in a zig zag manner which cuts the hair without planing the epidermis....no risk of cuts: the whole razor vibrates and not the blade alone". While I don't feel any vibration the rollers are definitely rolling (rather loudly), and if you're not too distracted by the noise, it is possible to do long strokes, with a very sharp blade, with safety and effectiveness.

I cannot give a specific date for production of my razor but a slightly educated guess would be 1934-40. The Vib'Raz blades are three-hole but the instructions indicate compatibility with slotted blades (so we know post 1930, and closed comb DE were virtually unknown before '34.)

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
  2. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Instructions:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

"Razor vibrates without electricity."

From the case lid.

Nice writeup and share for a basically never seen razor. :eatdrink047:

twhite, jimjo1031 and jmudrick like this.
  4. Tedolph

Tedolph Well-Known Member

Maybe the rollers vibrate the skin?
    Or, maybe it uses the Placebo effect?

Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
    twhite and jmudrick like this.
  5. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

The placebo is working for me

twhite and Tedolph like this.
  6. Tedolph

Tedolph Well-Known Member

Works for me too!

twhite likes this.
  7. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Going with placebo effect here too. I can't see that as anything other than a gimmick.

Tedolph likes this.
  8. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

One thing the rollers are doing, which is not a placebo, is offsetting the drag one would otherwise experience with the razor cap pressed into the skin. This effect is way more apparent than that you get with say the Roller Guard plate made for Old Types. I haven't used the Head Blade razors with their roller ball but I'm sure there is some similarity there. This thing will zip across your skin like nobody's business, with a Feather blade, with pressure. It's quite remarkable I'll tell you what.

Sent from my Google Chromebook Pixel (2015) using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
    Tedolph and Dave in KY like this.
  9. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Alternate case and handle.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dave in KY and IAmTheJody like this.
  10. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I haven't located the French Vib'Raz patent but using rollers rather than electricity to oscillate the razor head and/or blade was subject of a number of pre war patents prior to the King Oscillator...[​IMG]

Sent from my Google Chromebook Pixel (2015) using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
  11. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

The only thing noteworthy about the Vib'Raz baseplate is its greater than typical guard span, ie it's wider than a Gillette Old Type which accounts for the negative exposure. Swapping plates easily increases exposure. I've used the French Perfector plate with great success and will use others in future shaves. I'll note that the (very mild) Razorock Old Type plate comes closest to reproducing the stock geometry with an open comb.[​IMG]