The wife is hooked! Now what?

Discussion in 'Women's Shaving' started by lferg, Jan 4, 2009.

1. lferg

lferg New Member

Ok so I have had my shave kit for less than 24hrs now. My wife ordered me Ultimate Beginners Set from Lee's Safety Razors for Christmas but she ordered it late so it just got here. Anyway I have been watching lots of videos and read tons of threads on here and I tried my first shave this evening before going out. It went 10X better than expected (thanks to this forum)! Anyway the wife wanted to try so she got in the tub and I made her some great lather and coached her through, SHE IS HOOKED! Closest shave she has ever had. She did her legs, pits, and bikini all with only two nicks. Now my question is, I have read that the Long Handled HD is a great choice for the ladies, but is it the best choice? She will shave exclusively in the tub. Also I was thinking she might be better off with the synthetic brush (don't know why just my thought). I am using Derby blades and not that we would know the difference but they seems yo be great. Is there and specific advice about ladies wet shaving we need?

2. lferg

lferg New Member

Also, is she going to use up blades faster than I am since she has lots more to shave? I would assume so and that we should defiantly keep our razors separated so we never pick up a dull blade.

3. lamontqsanford

lamontqsanford New Member

Gillette made some lady gillettes that might work well. I think they are called pink and blue ladies gillettes. They are long handled and were made for women. The Zook is a member here and I think he might have one or 2 for sale. You can get them on the bay but you would be better off getting one from a member because you know it has been cleaned and inspected. Go here to see his http://www.thezook.net/

4. scottydoint

scottydoint Member

I think you should get here a Vintage Lady Gillette. They come in light Blue, dark Blue, Pink, and Gold. The blues are more common. I have a pink one up for sale right now if your interested. I think she would use up less blades than you or about the same since leg hair is no where near as tough as beard hair.

5. soapbuddy

soapbuddy Mistress of Lather

I have the vintage blue star Lady Gillette and a Gold Gillette. I like them both.

6. lferg

lferg New Member

The use of lather would be the same for her even though she is in the tub, right?

7. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    I moved this thread to women's shaving.

Are we talking a shower or a bath? Either way, yes, lather should be the same.

If she's enjoying the Derbys, no need to change type of blades. Her blade will last as long, if not longer, than yours.

A Lady Gillette is a good razor. I started with one. I now use a long handled Gillette super adjustable.

What kind of cream/soap did she use?

8. soapbuddy

Yes.

9. lferg

lferg New Member

Bath.... Right now we have Trumpers soap which is what we are using. We have Proraso (Bigelow) cream laying around, but she wants some Mama Bear girlie scented soaps.

I am pretty sure i am going to get her a Vintage Lady Gillette To start off with. The stars are cute. I just can't believe that we are BOTH hooked so quickly and that she wanted to try it.

10. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    I carry quite a few girly scents myself. Available in soap, cream, aftershave milk (lotion).

I also recommend Taylors Avocado shaving cream for shaving, the legs especially. The legs have few oil glands and have a tendency for dryness. So the extra moisturizing abilities of the Avocado cream is terrific for that particular area.

11. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

I would also suggest checking out non-synthetic brushes. Possibly having a custom one made with a monster knot to make lathering quick and easy. Rodd makes custom brushes. Check out the one he made for JoAnna.

12. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Inform her that the blades are for shaving, not trimming fabric. (from personal experience.) :D

My wife loves her lady Gillettes.

13. xChris

xChris Member

I agree with what all of the members have already posted.

As for brush, a badger brush will be just fine. Make sure it's cared for as usual, and it'll serve her well. M wife uses a Savile Row SR-212 (Super, 30mm knot).

Our respected female soap artisans seem to have the bead on feminine scents -- TSD (JoAnna), Mama Bear (herself ;) ). A couple other sources are SCS (Sue -- orange sorbet), and AOS (marketed a rose scented line of products aimed at women).

14. superbleu

superbleu Active Member

I like to use old blades for opening packages, the DE's are more dangerous, and need to be careful, the injector blades work great. You just have to remember to use the correct side of the blade.

15. soapbuddy

I love my Lady Gillette too. I could see trimming a thread or two off of a piece of fabric but the whole fabric? :scared001

16. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Gillette super adjustable - Provides the best of all worlds, long handled and adjustable!

Tweezerman Badger Brush at a minimum but the ladies may prefer larger brushes for quicker coverage.

Good D/E Blades - Maybe you should order a sampler and both of you try different blades (unless you have chosen your favorite already).

Soaps / Creams - Too many great ones to narrow to just one.

17. rockrabbit

rockrabbit Member

I've turned on many of my lady friends to DE shaving... and the Lady Gillette is the choice with a Lavender Cream or Soap! :D