The YUMA

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by newb, Oct 15, 2012.

1. newb

newb Resident Newb

Cheap is cheap. I tried this razor recently after a few years of seeing praises for it. The first impression is it's too light and what kind of cheap metal is it made of ? Poor QC, Poor finish, Mine really looks like junk. I assume if I don't dry it after each shave it will quickly rot out... Big ass downside.

Well, here is where it shined for me. This thing shaved awesome. It's like a really aggressive tech. One pass with the grain and I have a DFS. Add an ATG pass and I'm truly BBS. No joke. A 2 dollar razor just gave me a BBS shave. This razor's shave agree's with my face. I do really prefer a less aggressive shave. The R41, Barbasol, and wide open Futur are too much for me. A L6, Tech, Red tip and New seem to work best for me , but they leave me wanting something just a little more aggressive. This cheap razor seems to offer that to me. So all in all it's not too aggressive but it's not too mild. This is a shaver.

If you like something in the middle the YUMA may appeal to you. I have only used Perma Sharps with this razor, so I'm not sure how blade choosy it is. But so far this thing has earned a spot in the rotation.

2. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Very interesting post and very good timing. I just made an order from "bestshave" for some Perma Sharps and Rapira's, another #6 Horse, also an Arko shave stick as I've never tried one and in a last minute decision had them throw in a "Yuma". Had to give it a try for $1.99! :) I was kinda regretting the "Yuma" and thinking I should have bought some other blades like "asco". After reading your post I'm glad I decided to get the "Yuma". I hope it shaves as well for me as it did for you...:shaver

Have you ever tried an EJ89?

Lyndon likes this.
  3. newb

newb Resident Newb

I tried an EJ89 early on in my shave experience.At that time I wasn't real impressed. That's not really not a fair assessment. I had poor technique and was new. I do desire to revisit an Ej89 and Merkur HD. My technique is a little better now and they may turn out to be awesome razors. But at that time early on in my shave experience they were not for me. This 2 dollar razor though delivered an excellent shave. You really can't go wrong by trying a 2 dollar razor. If you don't like it your only out 2 bucks. But if you dig it , that 2 dollar razor becomes priceless.

Lyndon likes this.
  4. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I agree about the $2.00 razor, it's really NO money and if it doesn't work it cost less than a pack of cigarettes, BUT if it does work then it becomes worth "ALOT" more than $2.00 to the user.

The EJ89 is my go to razor as of now. I use mine daily and honestly love it. When I first got it I also was VERY unimpressed. The problem for me was that "WAY" overly slick handle. I always had the feeling it was going to slip out of my hands at any moment and that made getting the most out of the head impossible. After trying several other handles with it(Parker,Gillette tech,Durham Duplex) all of which were "GREAT" improvements over the original handle. I then tried a Weber "BullDog" handle. MAN, that really made the EJ like a whole New Razor, absolutely "FANTASTIC"!! Although a little pricey compared to brass/chrome handles, the Weber is a steal for solid SS....:)

Lyndon likes this.
  5. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

OO..look out.. here comes the 2 dollar rads..:eatdrink020:

Lyndon and PLANofMAN like this.
  6. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

It's more aggressive than an opened up Futur?

7. 5Savages

5Savages Well-Known Member

Be careful with the razor, it's not very tough. I was able to bust mine with my thumb by pressing down on the safety bar. I did that on purpose because after a few shaves, I hated it and was going to throw it in the trash, so why not do some destructive testing.

Lyndon likes this.
  8. newb

newb Resident Newb

No, not even close. It's a little more aggressive than a Gillette New with long comb, Red-Tip, Fat handle tech ,you know those mild shavers.

Lyndon likes this.
  9. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    For some reason, every time I see the word Yuma, I think of the Yugo. I briefly considered the Yuma, noted that the shipping cost would raise the price of the razor to over $8 and passed on it. I can buy higher quality razors on eBay for that price. This is probably the only time I will ever refer to the Weishi as a higher quality razor.

That being said, if it gives you the best shaves of your life, it is the razor for you. The best razors for me have also been rather obscure razors, so it pays to look in the nooks and crannies of the interweb for new stuff.:happy088:

Lyndon likes this.
  10. ateace

ateace Member

My Yuma was in the bin about two minutes after it arrived in the mail.
    It was filthy and the safety bar was already bent. A quick test of the strength of the "metal" and it was in pieces.
    I won't be ordering another one, even for $1.99.

11. skyfox12

skyfox12 Active Member

I had some Yumas in the past. If you go very slow and take gentle strokes, it will give a kickbutt shave. The metal is pretty, shall I say, "economical" and profoundly brittle. I attempted to bend the guard bar upward so as to make it slightly less aggressive and "snap!". I found that using metal polish made it worse in terms of shine, but if you buy a jeweler's cloth meant for silver, it will shine it up a bit.

You have to be very careful when putting the blade in because one side of the blade will usually stick out more than the other and you have to make micro-adjustments as you tighten and I have actually cut my hand holding on to the razor edges while tightening, but I also have tender skin. If it works for you, that's all that really matters regardless of quality and/or price in my humble opinion.

Lyndon likes this.
  12. Lyndon

Lyndon Well-Known Member

I am with newb on this one. I love my Yuma and it gives me an awesome shave. I call this thing the Turkish Delight, LOL! I always take it with me when I travel. The ends of the blades do stick out a bit and sometimes you think you have nicked yourself when you touch the blade side (non-cutting edge) up against your nose or ear.

This is the razor I gave to my brother to introduce him to traditional shaving. He also loves it. I got him a nice Edwin Jagger shave set for his birthday and the other day I asked him how he liked it. He said it was good but he thought the EJ razor was a bit bit mild!!!! He said he liked the noise made by the Yuma. I buy him a primo shave set and now I have this sneaking suspicion he prefers the Yuma. Too funny!!

PLANofMAN likes this.