Thickest double edge blade?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Edwin Jagger Loyalist, Dec 22, 2016.

1. Edwin Jagger Loyalist

Edwin Jagger Loyalist Active Member

I've gotten into single edge blades and they're giving me great shaves with my coarse hair. I'm thinking maybe one of the reasons for that is for the thicker blades compared to double edge blades. I'm wondering though if there's a thick double edge blade that could give me similar results. Any suggestions?

Carbide Mike and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  2. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I don't have a micrometer, but Polsilvers seem to be among the stiffer blades in my R41.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
    Edwin Jagger Loyalist likes this.
  3. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

KAI is the most stiff blade available, I am pretty sure of.

4. Edwin Jagger Loyalist

It'd be interesting to see an article on the measurements of the most popular blades and see where they stand.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  5. Engblom

There are not much difference between most blades, except for KAI. They are exceptionally thick. You notice it directly when you take one into your hand. The PolSilver above mentioned is not noticeable more thick.

KAI is a more expensive Japanese brand of blades.

6. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Great question. I have nothing to add on thicker blades, but I have used some that were fairly thinner. I don't remember which one in particular but I'll look at my stock, I found it was really flexible in my ATT M1.
    Good stuff!!

7. Edwin Jagger Loyalist

I got some Chinese brand blades with a cheap razor once that seemed to be the most terrible blades I've ever used. The blades were noticeably thin which I think was a factor.

Carbide Mike and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  8. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I'm skeptical that one can so easily discern difference in blade thickness (not the same as rigidity). This has been discussed elsewhere and measured differences between modern DE blades are very very small (Like 0005" or less) or non existent depending on the measuring device being used. Blades for industrial use and vintage DE blades would be a different story. I will trust caliper measures and industry specifications (.004"/. 10mm) over "they seem thicker"

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/473253-Vintage-and-Contemporary-Blade-Thickness

http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=24136

Based on this specification the Kai double edge measures the same .10mm, Amazon claims notwithstanding. If anyone can find a different spec I'm happy to be corrected.

https://www.kai-group.com/global/en/biz/industrialblades_special.html

9. Engblom

You seem to be right. It must be that KAI is more rigid then.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  10. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    preidy, RyX, Carbide Mike and 3 others like this.
  11. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Carbide Mike likes this.
  12. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

Almost all blades are .004 including Kai. The Kai is stiffer though, different heat treatment maybe?

brit, Carbide Mike and Demidog like this.
  13. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...ade-Width-and-Thickness-of-New-vs-Used-Blades

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...-Caliper-and-Homemade-Cardstock-Fixture/page3

"TobyC,

I'm sorry for the late reply. My hard drive failed and, with other things getting in the way, I'm just getting back to normal with a new drive and operating system.

I'm not yet doing regular measurements, but I do have some numbers for you. I had already measured the thickness, using my digital micrometer, of one KAI blade as 0.100 mm. Just for you, in order to give you some Feather numbers here, I cleaned and measured the two Feather blades that I had in my bank as 0.102 mm and 0.104 mm. I hope that that satisfies your curiosity at the moment. In time, with regular measurements, I'll accumulate enough data to have means, standard deviations, and min. and max. ranges of blades. That's the goal."

14. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

Carbide Mike likes this.
  15. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

I'm wondering/not sure if it makes any difference....

Carbide Mike likes this.
  16. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

Ok. I measured. Had to. The thickest blades out there available now are made of carbon. Not stainless. My money is on Treet dura-sharps. around a generous 6 , but Tiger has a carbon blade from Czech republic that's a hair thicker.

17. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

It makes a big difference. guy's with coarse beards will benefit from a thinner blade.

18. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Industrial blades are not bound by the same convention as shaving blades PersonnaTreetGem and Kai blades for industrial use are all over the place

Carbide Mike likes this.
  19. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

jmudrick is correct. industrial blades are all over the place. I was measuring every blade out there for a project I am working on and have 3 blades I will be releasing soon. And none are made of metal.

RyX likes this.
  20. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Somewhat on topic I was reading Consumer Digest blade reviews from the late 1930s when thin (modern. 40) blades were taking over. Highest rated DE blades were not Gillettes, but blades like Stetson, Elgin, Thin-Blade from General Blade Corp. and a couple small manufacturers. They did like Micromatic and Autostrop SE blades.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Keithmax and Carbide Mike like this.