Things I have learned in my journey

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by djwurm, Feb 9, 2009.

1. djwurm

djwurm New Member

I thought I would start this thread to tell people what I have learned about what works and doesn't work for me in my first year of wet shaving with a DE. And also what I have learned and experienced in that first year. I know everyone's experience is different and you never stop finding out new things in this journey.

So here is a list of things I learned in my first year.

1. Just because its expensive doesn't mean it does a better job than a less expensive cream/soap/aftershave/etc...

2. Gillette SS razors don't feel right in my hands.

3. Gillette Adjustables work good for me but if I shave to many days in a row with it my face feels raw and burns.

4. A 40's Gillette Tech ball end works best for my face as it is not to aggressive and provides a very close and comfortable shave.

5. Joanna's TSD shaving creams are as good as most of the creams on the market and better than most of them. They are also priced less than I expect to pay for a good quality cream.

6. Favorite shaving cream so far is Palmolive for Men (green tube from UK).

7. I like Menthol in splash's

8. I am a sucker for Lime scents! Especially the Essential Oil that Joanna uses.

9. I actually enjoy shaving (I used to hate it when I shaved with a mach 3 and 5) and I don't mind spending 15 minutes or more in the morning or at night doing this activity. It is actually relaxing and I get lost in the experience of it.

10. I love the connection to the past. Especially after I received my great grandfathers shaving brush as a gift from my Grandmother.

11. I like T&H creams but just can justify the price they charge for it.

12. Feather blades are not as notorious as most people make them out to be. They are also the only blade that I have tried out of 12 different brands that don't pull or hurt when I shave.

13. I love talking about wet shaving with DE razors and a brush. I have tried to convert a few other men in my family but have yet to convince them.

14. I am excited about the next few years in my journey because I want to eventually get into straight razor shaving and continue my collection of DE razors.

15. I would not be getting the great shaves I do today if it weren't for mantics video's or the advice of the members of TSD.

I am sure there are other's but I cant think of them right now....

2. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

Nice treatise. Here's to another year of shaving and learning.

3. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Great way to put it

4. omegapd

omegapd New Member

+1

EW

5. dannyr

dannyr Member

Well done. I like number 9.
    dannyr

6. great list of tips/observations. I had to apologize to my wife this afternoon because all I've been talking about recently is my new obsession :-D

7. Mr. Igg

Mr. Igg New Member

Great post!

None of us has ever experienced this...ever...uh...well, in the last two minutes, probably...

The good news, from an efficiency standpoint, is that if you're at all like the rest of us, you can flag this post, edit "new" and substitute "3-year long", and just repost it in 2012...:happy102