Thinking about taking the plunge on a straight

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Badgerstate, Dec 25, 2017.

1. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

Greetings, all. Ive been DE shaving for about 2 years now and Ive always kind of been hesitant to learn how to straight razor shave but lately Ive been considering it. Ive kind of started to think that I might like to become a barber when I get older and decide that Im done with factory work, so I figure now would be a good time to learn how to straight razor shave.
    Im kind of torn between a Dovo shavette and spending $100ish on a Dovo or Boker straight. I know that people say newbies are better off with a traditional straight because theyre more forgiving than a shavette but I kind of like the aspect of the shavette that the blades are replacable and I dont need to worry about stropping or honing. Ive got experience with knife sharpening but Im sure that honing a razor takes a lot more skill than sharpening a pocket knife.
    Right now, Im leaning towards getting a Dovo shavette, trying it for a while and if its something that I like, investing in a much nicer traditional straight. I just have a hard time investing $150+ in something that Im not sure that Im going to like. I also like the ease of ownership in just replacing the blade. I feel like if Im going to go the straight route, Id probably want to have 2 of them for when one of my razors is out getting rehoned and Id keep the shavette as my backup razor.
    I think that Im going to like it because what got me into traditional wet shaving is when I got a straight razor neck shave at the barber but Im just not sure.
    Anyways, thoughts?

2. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I think you should go for it. I use a shavette because I do not want to maintain a straight. One suggestion though. Skip the Dovo. I have one. Nothing wrong with it. I also have a Parker SRX in stainless. I think it is a better razor. I also think it comes closer to the feel of a straight as far as weight and such. If you learn a shavette you can pretty much shave with whatever!

Billyfergie, Paul76, Keithmax and 2 others like this.
  3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Cool! There is a learning curve, to be sure, but you'll get it!!

Billyfergie, Paul76 and Spyder like this.
  4. Badgerstate

Ive seen the Parkers and they look nice. I can also see where theyd be a bit heavier and would more closely mimic a traditional straight. I'll take them into consideration.

Billyfergie and Paul76 like this.
  5. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Don’t let the cost scare you away from a reals str8. Many of us got started for far less than $100. I can send you to a vendor that will sell you a brand new Dovo honed for around $80.

Stropping is another skill that will have to be learned. But hey; if I can do it, anybody can:)

Billyfergie, Paul76 and Keithmax like this.
  6. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I vote go for a Dovo....but if you go for shavette...

Pass on the Dovo shavette, it is very lite and I was not happy with mine. The stainless steel Parker is nice, heavy and a joy to handle, it is a bargain of a razor. For more $ a Feather DX is nice or it’s cheap Korean cousin, a CJB are also top notch shavettes.

7. JohnDB

JohnDB Well-Known Member

There's many many vintage straights out there for sale that are perfectly fine for shaving. Sure they are used... some are in rough shape and need restoring...those too can be had but they are going to be the price of a new one or better depending on name if restored.

But there are literally thousands of generic or little known name Razors that are great to take the plunge with.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2017
  8. Paul76

Paul76 Well-Known Member

Glad your thinking of coming to the dark side. I would personally go with a traditional straight just because I get a closer feel for a lot longer time than a shavette. A straight can be made way sharper, but yes there is the commitment of maintaining the blade. I had gotten my start through the whipped dog bought an ama 100 which I believe is also made by dovo, it was only about $50 and was In brand new condition.

Keithmax, Billyfergie and Spyder like this.
  9. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

Shavettes are a Different Animal to Traditional SRs..Like a Car & Motorcycle..Both Current Dovo & Boker SRs are Nice Shavers..They Dont Come Shave Ready from the Factory..The Main thing is to ENSURE its Proper Shave Ready if You Decide to Go Down that Road..;)

Billy..:chores016:

Keithmax, Paul76 and JohnDB like this.
  10. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

"You'll shoot your eye out."

11. Paul76

Paul76 Well-Known Member

looks Like I’m not alone on the marathon of that movie today.

Billyfergie, Keithmax and Badgerstate like this.
  12. Badgerstate

What's funny is that my wife has been saying for a year that I should get a straight. Apparently, her dad shaved with one.
    Until now, I haven't felt like I was ready but now that I've mastered the R41, I feel like it's time.

13. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Yes. It is time. :shaver

14. SparrowPoint

SparrowPoint Active Member

I shave with both. The best shavettes that have a good feel comparable to a normal straight is the Parker Push to load shavette.

15. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Welcome. 8 posts in almost six years? Well, you might want to wander over to "The Welcome Center", and introduce yourself.

16. The Fox

The Fox Well-Known Member

I guess I've been doing it all wrong! I went from, "Hmm... Maybe I should try a straight razor" to staring at a pile of razors with fancy inlays and scales made out of exotic animals surprisingly quickly and not even wanting to think about the grand total I've spent. But if you actually have self control, here's what I've got to say about other concerns.

I watched ONE video about how to shave with a straight before I started and have never cut myself with a round tipped razor. (I can't make that claim with my square tip).
    A new strop is about $60 and not hard to use. Should be an easy buy.
    I enjoy honing my own razors but hones are definitely not cheap. Also, my first attempt was a disaster and I still can't claim to be good at it. Sending the razor back in for honing is probably the reasonable way to go if you're not locked into the BUY EVERYTHING!! mindset or just don't want to bother.
    Don't plan on tossing your other razors just yet. Even after using straights for about three years, it still takes me far longer to shave using them. I use DE razors on most work days.

17. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

I get irritation free dfs daily from a shavette. If you'd like to learn how, I am more than happy to advise and help you master it.

Keithmax, Paul76, Billyfergie and 2 others like this.
  18. Badgerstate

I ended up ordering a sight unseen razor and poor man's strop from WD. It actually turns out that there's a company in the city where I live who does honing, so no worries there either.

Billyfergie and Spyder like this.
  19. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Welcome to the dark side! You made an excellent choice

3EC21931-76B8-4DAC-A89C-AD9875E4E1CC.gif

20. Badgerstate

Thanks. I actually seriously considered a shavette but I did some research and it led me to believe that shavettes have as many cons as they do pros and that a traditional straight is better for a newbie like me.