This Is Insane

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Gillette_Man, Dec 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. riffin

riffin Active Member

The concern is what happens after you no longer own it. Someone may think it a mint vintage razor, find a matching box and sell it as such. SOME less scrupulous folks will intentionally mis-represent it to make some fast cash. You are not the first owner and you probably won't be the last. A razor that looks like that because it's never been used is in an entirely different category (and price) than one that has been replated/restored. It's nearly (completely?) impossible to tell them apart. Your razors look fantastic. I have no doubt that their beauty kicks up the shaving experience a few notches. I don't think anyone is condemning replating. I may get few of mine done in the future. But I wholeheartedly agree that marking them is the way to go.

2. koso

koso New Member

I live by the ancient saying paraphrased in one of my favorite movies, Rounders.

Caveat Emptor, pal.

If one is going to take on the mantle 'collector', one also assumes the risks and responsibilities that go along with the title.

Ten years down the road, you see a razor in superb condition that you suspect has been replated, the onus is on you to find out if that's the case, or put your money down and take the risk.

If you consider yourself a serious collector and buy items for big dollars based on internet photographs, you take on that risk, or ask the seller questions from a collector's standpoint. You, as a collector, should have a wealth of knowledge and information that the seller is not liable to have.

Otherwise, if you like that shiny Fat Boy and are willing to part with 150 bucks to have it, that's what you're willing to pay on the open market. Win-win. Whether it has been replated or not is irrelevant.

Collectors assuming their ass should be covered by a person who is about to replate a razor sounds ridiculous to me.

Same goes for suspicion of shill bidding. If you suspect the seller is driving up prices, there is a simple solution. Don't buy from that seller. If other people are, and they come away happy, that's between them and the seller and none of your business.

Let the collector beware.

WhyAreYouMe likes this.
  3. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

What questions can a collector ask to determine if a razor has been re-plated? Seriously, I'm curious.

I agree buyer beware is always good policy, but the stamp is obvious and in no way detracts from a shiny re plate. The people doing the altering of these vintage, and in some case antique, razors have a responsibility aside from assuring happy customers.

4. koso

koso New Member

I was thinking in terms of the auctions where one out of focus picture is posted, not giving clear views of the item. Asking "do you believe this was ever replated" wouldn't be out of line in my opinion.

We will never see each other's viewpoint on this.

If everybody who was going to replate and/or sell razors was part of the wetshaving community, some sort of honor system could probably be created and observed.

But that's not the case, and complaining about an Ebay seller who auctions replated razors because he's not marking them seems unrealistic to me. It will always fall to the buyer to beware.

WhyAreYouMe likes this.
  5. rainman

rainman New Member

If I got a razor replated I wouldn't want it stamped. The replate for me would be to restore it to close as possible condition. I'd do it for myself because I loved the razor so much and wanted it to look at its best. The stamp is not part of the original design and it would bother me. If I ever sold I wouldn't even think about trying to pass it off as mint original condition although I get the point. Will the next guy be honest? I feel that replating a razor adds value to it. Offcourse for Stevexxxx, no one can prove that he is bidding on his own auctions. You know what you are bidding on. If there is something about the way that he plates the razors or how he does business you are free not to buy from him.

WhyAreYouMe likes this.
  6. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

Why not buy an original razor in great condition?

Maybe I expect too much from humanity sometimes, but I really don't think it is too much to ask to sign your work, so to say.

7. riffin

riffin Active Member

Adding value seems like a good argument FOR marking. :) It be done pretty inconspicuously on the bottom or inside.

I think replating is a significant event in the "natural history" worthy of marking. Unlike other "features" it is hard to tell the difference between a replate and a mint original. Even an honest, conscientious deal might not realize he's selling a replate.

8. rickboone

rickboone Member

To me, collecting is funny. Some want all original. Yet, classic cars are rebuilt at times with all new parts from the ground up. Literally. Yet, they still fetch a pretty sum.

And, as stated with the auctions, the item is worth what people will pay for it. I've worked in the auction industry before and have friends in it. The books that indicate a products' worth are mere guides. What it fetches at auction shows its true worth.

Albeit, it is nice to know what, if any work has been done to any product. Whether you're buying a dresser that was refinished or razor re-plated. To keep this information from someone would be unethical. I don't see that being done here in the least. Infact, they are being sold as re-plated razors. Pure and simple.

I do see the point, someone vaguely though, of a re-plate ending up in a collector's hands years later. They may assume their razor is near mint condition, all original.

My question is...wouldn't you be able to tell though? I'm sure there are some acid tests or something that would indicate if a razor has been re-plated.

And, aren't the plates being used in these restoration of more quality and value than the original? I mean, I don't have any silver or gold plated razors. Just nickel.

Maybe I am wrong. I was once before.

On the other hand, I do see a stamp actually bringing more value to the razors and to collectors.

Think of the Eddie Bauer edition Ford Expeditions. The Expedition sold for X amount, put the Eddie Bauer customization on there and the price went up. Resale did as well. And, perhaps in later years, to a collector and EB Expedition will be of more value.

Same principle.

9. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

No, and why should this be the collectors responsibility anyway?

Once the original plating is removed and new plated added the razor is essentially worthless to collectors. The plating may be thicker and shinier, but that is part of my point.

I see this also.

Are you saying an Ikon plated Gillette may some day be worth more than an original Gillette? It is possible I suppose, but I don't think so. There was a '37 Sheraton replated in gold that I need for my collection that came up recently at a fair price, I didn't want it anywhere near my collection. In 20 years I still won't want it in my display.

A shavers perspective may be different, but I think most still appreciate using the tools as their fathers used and as they were made by Gillette.

10. Island Brian

Island Brian Member

I am much more of a shaver than a serious collector. I have some very nice razors, but I shave with everything in my collection (the toggle and even my Regent Tech get wet from time to time). To me, functionality and how the razor works is a part of the beauty.

Even though I am not a "serious" collector, I am not a fan of replating. I did buy a "very well loved" razor recently that I may replate so I can give it as a gift to someone who will use it once in a while but mostly keep it as a shiny object d'art. But I like to keep my vintage items as original as I can.

11. riffin

riffin Active Member

Yes, but a totally orignal classic car in the same condition as a rebuilt would be worth orders of magnitude more!

The problem with a replate is that is (nearly, if actually) impossible to tell. Usually rebuilt classic cars are "enhanced." They may have color changes, added trim, mod-ed engines, etc. Unless it's a different material, replated razors look like an original mint.

Also restoring a classic car, mod-ed or not, is an art that the perveyors are proud of, and rightly so. I don't think anyone would try to claim a retored classic car is a mint original. An original car is more rare and more easily distingushed from a restored car.

12. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Sorry, guys, left this open as long as we could.

I've deleted the posts which brought this on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.