This should forever kill dreams of a new Gillette DE

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by gorgo2, Sep 19, 2018.

1. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

In case anyone still has any.

https://www.wired.com/story/gillette-new-heated-razor/

Yeah, whatever. They hype it with nonsense but don't even believe in it, given how they're going to try to fund it at first...they want suckers to pay for this joke when it flops.

Said it before: DE as a shaving system is as dead to Gillette as SE always was and ain't coming back.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
    9nein9, MR41, AGHisBBS and 5 others like this.
  2. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

So, heat is the new frontier of shaving. (Shh! Don't tell the Cold Water Crew!) I wonder if the idea of a "warming bar" could be adapted to the guard of a traditional DE razor.

It will be interesting to see how he Indigogo campaign goes and whether there are really that many people who'd shell out that kind of money.

brit likes this.
  3. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I guess they didn’t think of hot water.

9nein9, MR41, gorgo2 and 2 others like this.
  4. Pete123

Pete123 Well-Known Member

It will be interesting to see how this does for them. It will sell some units, though their days of selling lots and lots of cartridges at $8 a piece are gone

9nein9, brit and Keithmax like this.
  5. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

They were being sensitive to the "no water" crew. :rofl:

Personally, I'm not interested until they come up with all of the here-to-fore features, a laser level, AND an AI personality to sound an alarm when I'm about to cut my side burns unevenly. And it can still fit in my dop kit. An attached puck of shaving soap and auto-spinning shave brush would be nice as well, but not required.

9nein9, MR41, Keithmax and 5 others like this.
  6. RyX

RyX DoH!

Projected into the far future you are either Eloi or Morlock. Through the slow process of selective breeding, or speed it up with genetic engineering the human race is destined to bifurcate into smooth hairless or hairy troglodyte. For those that have amassed collections of vintage DE & SE razors, they stand on the brink of cashing in when this trend of Hipster lumberjack beards flips to clean shaven Gentleman.

Meanwhile technology marches onward, sometimes stumbles into a dark alley but picks itself up and continues to improve. Or get so complicated you'll need a certified technician to change the blades in your razor.

7. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I will just stick with my Straight Razors, until I'm too old and shaky to use them anymore. Then i will break out the many many DE razors I've amassed. I even have a few hundred vintage DE blades to go with them, not to mention a few thousand new top shelf DE blades.
    So, no thanks Gillette, I've had my fill of razor burn and ingrown hairs, because of your marketing schemes. I'm "Old School", with my shaving, and so is my family.

9nein9, Angelo85, MR41 and 6 others like this.
  8. rbilly

rbilly Well-Known Member

Gillette is not anti DE, they are anti 10 cent DE blades, you cant build a global empire selling blades for 10 cents each. If for some reason the bulk of the populatiom went back to DE, p&g would probably buy out all of the blade makers and price gouge DE blades. DE razors death certificate was written the day everyone started producing stainless steel blades. Right now you are not going to see much from most of the razor companies, they are trying to survive the beard craze. Producing and marketing safety razors would only cause them profit loss from their cartridge razors, they have a responsibility to the share holders to turn a profit, so until someone can convince them that making safety razors will be profitable it wont happen.

preidy, brit, mrchick and 4 others like this.
  9. Draftetdan

Draftetdan Active Member

Nice, a 5 blade proprietary cartridge with a blinking LED all for only $150. I bit over engineered, me thinks...

9nein9, Keithmax, Screwtape and 3 others like this.
  10. stuartganis

stuartganis Well-Known Member

I'm waiting for the stainless steel version, with of course a more aggressive cartridge. And bring back that contraption that used to heat up the shaving cream can.

STUARTG74

brit, Tinmantoo and Keithmax like this.
  11. brit

brit in a box

maybe its a build up to that other contraption on another thread, that laser thingie . now it could have a headlamp...

Keithmax likes this.
  12. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

I gave one to my dad for Christmas back in the '70s.
    IMG_2139.JPG

13. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

The water acts as lubricant in the mix and gosh it is well known warmer lubricant wears out blades quicker among other things plus cold water soothes the skin and lessens irritation while shaving......

Unless you are one pass type of shaver and blade is sufficiently efficient ie minimal tug then warm water isn't the way to go if you shave every day. If it was they wouldn't have added lubrication strips to the razors. That is like admitting without admitting either your shave creams don't work well enough or your razor design is deficient.

Cartridges with all their engineering put into them ie hysteresis which does what, creates more tug doesn't meet this bar when it comes to getting close shaves. Is there really an appreciable difference on hair removal on pass from a DE when all is said and done or is it just a symptom of a bigger trend of people just wanting the lazy path of least resistance option without having to actually think about what they are doing while doing it you see in other products.

ajc347 and brit like this.
  14. Draftetdan

Draftetdan Active Member

That's awesome, Chris. All of my siblings and I saved up and got Dad one of those for Christmas years ago. I'm guessing '75 or '76. Thanks for the memory. :)

Enrico, preidy, brit and 3 others like this.
  15. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

When you run out of innovation i.e. patent-able features, Then you have to design for quality. Quality being better materials longer life span of product to differentiate from others on the market as long as you have one disposable or replacement item you can sell. They could have went that route and priced the razors with better machining and materials at higher prices but warrantied them for life like craftsman tools and unlike craftsman tools for example which didn't sell a blade equivalent like screws did just fine. Did Gillette follow that route no they manufactured a problem to sell a solution aka the hysteresis thing which creates even more irritation on each pass so they could roll out faux innovation aka shaving gels, lubrication strips, multiple blades cartridges (which makes the irritation even worse on each pass even if does shave closer which in turn leads to...). Shave gels because they amplified the irritation with more blades, angle and such while claiming closer shaves. Don't tell the cartridge people but cutting old fashioned canned goo with some water works (colder the better) works as well as gel. But you see the marketing trap they got themselves into aka old fashioned can't keep up with modern technology based on a faux premise focused around a manufactured problem of more irritation framed as a closer shave. And when that innovation ran its course what did they come up with....

9nein9 and brit like this.
  16. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

The Stark Industries personal care division has noted your suggestion and will pass it along.

brit, MR41, mrchick and 2 others like this.
  17. Pete123

Pete123 Well-Known Member

I'll say this. They would get much more traction with a high-end stainless double-edged safety razor, though that would mean admitting that they are a good thing.

9nein9, brit, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  18. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Yep, which is why they won't.

9nein9 and brit like this.
  19. dmshaver

dmshaver Well-Known Member

I get a warm shave every day, I run my razor under hot water. This is yet another reason DE shaving saves me money (cue laugh track).

9nein9, Enrico, brit and 1 other person like this.
  20. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I had one of those back then

brit likes this.