Thoughts on brush variations and reviews

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by jhclare, Dec 19, 2009.

1. jhclare

jhclare New Member

Hi all, just repsonded to a thread which really got me thinking:

We really must remember to take brush reviews with a pinch of salt.

A review is for that member's particular sample of that brush, there is no guarantee that your brush will be exactly like theirs.

For example, I've had three Rooney 3/1s and they've all been very different. First was really dense, second didn't bloom at all but wasn't as dense (but had prickly tips), third has a higher loft and really blooms and is soft and pillowy and is as soft as my Alibaba. All were "Super".

Everyone talks about the density of Rooneys but I've never found them to be that dense. My Vulfix Simpsons have been much denser. I even have a Heritage Alibaba 2, and my Duke 3 in Best is denser!

But maybe other people's Rooneys ARE dense, they really do seem to vary.

Also, from what I've read, the older Vulfix-Simpsons Duke 3 in Best used to have a longer loft than its original Somerset version, but my recent copy has a very short loft (45mm).

So, particularly if you are new, please be aware that the reviews are just guidelines, and that your specimen may not match the review sample exactly, particularly the knot size, shape, density and grade of hair.

They are handmade, natural products after all!

Regards,

John

2. Turnz2

Turnz2 Member

I've got to agree and it's the same with blades.