Thoughts on Proraso

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by Aranya, Jan 15, 2015.

1. Aranya

Aranya New Member

Hello there,
    Been wet shaving for about 4 months and got some Proraso, both cream and a tub as it got great reviews. I cannot get a good shave out of either. I try different approaches playing with more and less water but everytime I feel no slickness and the shave is very uncomfortable.
    Anyone else have this problem? Any tips?

2. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    It could be a water issue if you have hard water. Today was Proraso day for me, and I got a great shave. I face lather, and I put about an inch on my forefinger and smear it on my face. Then, I use my pre-soaked brush (shaken and lightly squeezed) to spread it around my cheeks and neck and then begin to work it. Within seconds, I start to get a great lather. I have enough left in the brush for another pass or two. I also cold water shave/lather.
    Check out Geofatboy's five minute shave. The face-lathering principle is the same as I use.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  3. idvsego

idvsego Well-Known Member

maybe you just dont like it. happens. what were you using before proraso?

Bama Samurai likes this.
  4. Alan H

Alan H Member

Proraso and Musgo Real were the very first soaps that I bought when I started. Being inexperienced, Proraso and Musgo seemed just OK. Then I got Truefitt & Hill 1805 and Taylor of Old Bond Street's Eton College. Both seemed much better than Proraso. People raved about T&H but, I like TOBS much better. TOBS makes a much better lather and, I just don't get the scent of T&F 1805. Some say it smells like the ocean but, I don't get it and don't really care for it, or the lather and, at $30+ a tub, they are no longer on my list. TOBS whips up to gobs of quick and great lather and i LOVE the smell of Eton College and, for only $14 for a British soap, makes it AWESOME. Fast forward a year and, I forget what they call it on here but, I went crazy and started buying every soap that got rave reviews. Now, MdC, Santa Maria Novella and Aqua de Parma are at the very top of my list and I hardly use my TOBS that much anymore (gave it to my son, he loves it, too). Also at the top, for far less money are, Razor Rock XXX and Tiki Bar Soap. Heard lot's of reviews of Tiki's Set Sail so, still in crazy mode, I ordered 6 different scent samples from their website. Each one came in a 2 oz tub! Quite generous considering the small little dabs that most other companies provide. So, 6 times 2 is 18 oz of soap that will easily last me over a year. However, I just love their Spice Island. Every time I go into the bathroom, I open it up to take a whiff. Tiki = great, slick lather. But don't go by me, everyone's sniffer is different. Some love lavender and rose. Both make me gag. Anyway, not being happy with Proraso and thinking I would never use it again, I tossed it out. Now, after continuing to read more and more about how great Proraso is, I bought another tube and I now like it a lot. It is near the top and sorry I tossed the old one out. Point is, it would seem that my bad experiences with some soaps were, dare I say, due to my poor lathering technique. Now, when I go back to some I thought were not so good, they are now pretty good. To me, it seems to be all about the water I add to the mix. Some soaps require that you get the amount of water just right, as Barrister an Mann says about theirs. Now, I'm not so afraid to add more water, or less, or if I screw it up, add more cream, to make sure I get it right. I find it very disappointing to shave when it isn't just right, and I know it isn't with the first swipe of my razor. It feels like I have cheated myself out of a great shaving experience, an experience I always look forward to.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
    icemanwbs and 178-bplatoon like this.
  5. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

What brush are you using? I use a Plisson dry, put a little water on top (bloom) of the soap, and boy do I get a beautiful pile of lather.

dbersh and Bama Samurai like this.
  6. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Well said. :happy088:

7. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

I like it quite a bit . I use warm water myself and let a little sit on top of the soap. I also use boars and don't get all the water out of them but let the excess drip off. I also Head Lather. I find it rather easy. I find I do not need to add much water either, but after discovering how soft the water is here I am not surprised. I guess it is a mix of lathering on the soap and head lathering but I find it works pretty good. The thing is we all have different ways and they all work so just take this with a grain of salt and experiment. You will get there eventually.

8. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

I also use Proraso green I get a great lather, however the slickess is lacking even when using a PSO.

9. Jostalli

Jostalli Well-Known Member

I figured out the Plisson really does hold a lot of water. I knew it was not required for a synthetic but I was still soaking the brush. Did just a quick pass under the faucet this morning, still on the wet side. I will try just putting a little water on the bloom int he morning.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  10. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

Proraso, whether in a tube or tub should be a great shave. It's one of the great traditional products. Next time you use it and you think you've got a good lather, add a little more water and build lather for another 45-60 seconds and see what happens.

Spit_Fire likes this.
  11. Alan H

Alan H Member

I've been rotating between my Simpsons Chubby 2 in Super Badger which I believe is their version of Silvertip, my DIY horn with High Mountain Badger and, Shavemac 173 26mm D01. And I just got a Simpsons Duke 3 in best for only $70, on sale during the holidays from Royal Shave. It usually sells for around $125. I had read a lot of good things about the Duke so, at $70, I had to have one. Nice and dense as expected from Simpsons and, amazing in every way. As soft as their Super badgers. Wish I had bought two more for my kids. As far as density, my Chubby 2 is the densest, hands down, compared to any other brush I have held in my hand. Duke is number 2 in density with my DIY High Mountain almost a tie with the Duke. I also have a WSP XL High Mountain which is nice but, it is not nearly as dense as my others. With the others being so dense and incredibly soft, WSP have fallen by the wayside. FYI, WSP has excellent customer service and return policy!

12. jakie55

jakie55 Well-Known Member

I bowl lather, using a boar or Body Shop synthetic, and get a great lather. I utubed lather making, and follow the cream in the bowl, use a damp, not dripping brush, and add water a little at a time, until the lather is as you want. I really like Proras0 green, but YMMV

13. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I always start off with it dry, I bloom my soaps and that is plenty of water. Let me know how it works out. Just a couple teaspoons does it.

Jostalli likes this.
  14. Jasio78

Jasio78 Well-Known Member

Helpful thread people. Thank you all. Waiting on proraso red and green to come. Got a little deal on both and been waiting to try the red for ages. Sounds like a very good product.

Mr. Shaverman likes this.
  15. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Welcome !

16. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

My heart doth break! I loved the smell of the red but methinks I am allergic to sandalwood. :angry017:

Mr. Shaverman likes this.
  17. LaSalle82

LaSalle82 Well-Known Member

Keep trying, as both the tube & tub typically make great lather and perform excellent even in hard water. I'd hate to have you miss out on a great shave as Proraso is top notch

18. Chuck F

Chuck F Cheesy! Big Curd style

I love the Red. The Green is okay but the scent reminds me of diaper rash cream.

I've found that B&M actually has a nice, wide sweet spot, it's just that instead of going from less water to more water, it goes from more water to wayyyy more water. You almost can't over-hydrate it

19. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

I really like both the red and the green. They NEVER disappoint. The green I like a little more because it has menthol. I never get a bad shave with the green. I use it a little more than the red

20. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

:signs046: to TAD "Aranya"

Have you ever tried Arko? Some don't care for the scent, but the soap lathers easily and well and provides a really nice shave IMO. It comes in both stick and puck form. :)

Spit_Fire likes this.