Thoughts on second razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by maliboy67, Jan 31, 2015.

1. maliboy67

maliboy67 Well-Known Member

So I have another week and I have put in my month of working on my technique. I have been using a Merkur 23c with an Astra SP, Proraso green and an Omega boar brush. My shaves have been decent, I seem to have to go over areas 4-5 times and have come to the conclusion I may need a more aggressive razor. From what I gather the Murker is on the mild side, that is probably one of the reasons I have not suffered cuts and only minor burn in the beginning. So now I would like to try something a bit more aggressive. So maybe an adjustable? I was looking at a Parker 99r, they are listed as a medium aggressive. Any other suggestions?

R.D.Nelson likes this.
  2. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Merkur Progress is a solid razor. Go vintage with a Gillette Slim or Fatboy.

3. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

R.D.Nelson, spacehobo and Jayaruh like this.
  4. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

That^^^^^.

GDCarrington likes this.
  5. tito catson

tito catson Active Member

Ikon shavecraft 102 is a very efficient razor and my favorite of my 5 de razors I own.

R.D.Nelson, spacehobo and Jayaruh like this.
  6. maliboy67

This is a great idea, unfortunately with the exchange rate and shipping cost I can order a $30 razor here and have it shipped for less $ if you can believe it!

7. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I found myself in the same boat as you. getting decent shaves from my mild razor, but it took too many passes, resulting in some irritation and tenderness. This led me to a pursuit of more aggressive razors. Here's a thread I started a while ago on the topic with much input from other members. At the very least, you'll find an array of aggressive razor recommendations: Click to Read

R.D.Nelson likes this.
  8. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Unfortunately I can! Exchange rates, customs fees and shipping have placed a block on some of my purchases as well.

R.D.Nelson likes this.
  9. maliboy67

Thanks for the link, that was a good read. I used to shave with a straight about 20 years ago and went away from it as I didn't like the constant care of the blade and if not done right you would suffer for it. Sounds like the closest experience to a str8 would be an R41. The slant bar is also becoming alluring. I can get both locally. Decisions.

R.D.Nelson likes this.
  10. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Both are excellent options. There are some recent R41 threads with some new owners you may wish to check out.

R.D.Nelson likes this.
  11. maliboy67

I'm ordering the "Sledgehammer"

12. maliboy67

After much reading here and reviews I decided on the Merkur 39c. It seems most agree it is very efficient but fairly forgiving where as the R41 not as much. Perhaps I will eventually get an R41, also if I don't like the 39c I'm sure someone would take it off my hands.

GDCarrington and R.D.Nelson like this.
  13. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Once you get use to the slight differences in handling you will find it is an effective razor.

Enjoy!

battle.munky likes this.
  14. maliboy67

Hopefully I will have it in time to try Wednesday morning. I will post my first experiences shaving with it.

GDCarrington likes this.
  15. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

Don't forget you can usually shim most three piece DE razors to make them more aggressive. Simply use a pair of scissors to cut the sharpened edge off. Plus a couple mm or 1/16" or so. It does not have to be exact. Then stack the shim between the blade and the safety bar or comb and you get more blade exposure and agressiveness.

battle.munky likes this.
  16. Rapidray

Rapidray Well-Known Member

Would rubber washers work? They come in different thickness. Just thinking out loud.

17. maliboy67

I think shim stock could work also, you have to make sure the blade has a uniform base to sit on or you could be in trouble. After all you are using it to drag a blade across your face. That is why the extra blade would work well. As mentioned above.

18. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

The easiest way to make a shim is to take an old blade and grind off the sharp edge. It only takes a couple of seconds and you can do it with just about anything(fine toothed file, bench grinder, grind stone, sand paper held against something strong and level like a table top, even a piece of flat, smooth concrete in a pinch. :) I found the easiest way was to take several old blades(3-6) and hold then together evenly and grind the edges at the same time. :)