Time Out between Open Comb tests: today the Focus Dynamic

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by jar, Oct 7, 2017.

1. jar

jar Well-Known Member

I thought I'd use the weekend as a time out between the Open Comb razors to let some recent additions get a little face time. Today the Focus Dynamic was up with half of an old Wilkinson Sword blade.

[​IMG]

The Focus Dynamic is an Italian built single edge, swivel head aluminum razor. It uses half a regular DE blade. The top cap is wide enough that it fully covers the tabs on the blade. It is mounted in a keyhole fashion, place half blade on head pushed up against the posts then as a unit insert the posts into the body, press down and slide the cap in place to lock. They recommend positioning the broken end curve to point the upturned parts towards the top.

Here is where some experimentation and caution is needed. Once assembled look closely because with some blades a corner of the blade can stick out on the edge. I tried three blades and two were perfect but a Merkur Super blade would not center fully and left a tiny unprotected edge exposed. Would it have made a difference? I doubt it but why take chances.

Today I used Speick cream and a nice old EverReady 400PB pure badger.

Second from left on bottom shelf:
    [​IMG]
    The final result is a PDG very near perfect shave but it took three full passes and some significant touchup. It's likely that once I get more experience with this razor I will be able to get my PDG shave with just two passes.

Like the OneBlade Core though, this razor initially just feels wrong. It seems to like long strokes with considerable pressure against the face. It's super mild but so far just average in efficiency. The shave is really comfortable with absolutely no irritation or scraping or nicks or cuts or boo-boos.

If someone who has been using Safety Razors for a long time picks this up it is gonna feel weird and wrong. But if it is someone coming from the cartridge world it is likely magnificent (once they get over the terror of breaking a razor blade in half).

In all it seems after just one shave to be a really fun little jewel and it comes in lots of colors. Collect the whole set.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
    RetLEO-07 and GarnerPW like this.
  2. Jan Zoethout

Jan Zoethout Well-Known Member

Instead of breaking DE blades in half one can also buy half blades like:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You'll avoid the risk of hurting yourself ... ;)

3. jar

jar Well-Known Member

Sure but I have DE blades. Why add yet another format?